Dog sacrificed for medical sales demonstration

Old January 19th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

Default Dog sacrificed for medical sales demonstration

I got this link from "The Scientist". There are some interesting opinions
voiced in the comments following the article:

http://www.the-scientist.com/news/home/42203/

Certainly I don't condone the senseless and cruel use of dogs or other
animals for research and testing, and it seems even more unethical for them
to be used in a sales pitch, and then casually discarded. However, there
are many dogs and other animals that are being put down just because there
is no room in shelters, so perhaps those that would otherwise be "wasted"
might at least serve in some way to help others by being humanely
sacrificed for something like this. I think it would be ethical to use a
dog in this manner and then try to save its life, which would be a
testament to the safety of the medical device. If the animal is simply
discarded then I think it is shameful and such use should be criminal.

Paul and Muttley (rescued twice from euthanasia)

Old January 19th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:22:16 -0500, "Paul E. Schoen"
, clicked their heels and said:

by being humanely
sacrificed for something like this.

Where do you see the "humanely" part?

Paul and Muttley (rescued twice from euthanasia)

Nope. You choose his fate.
--
Janet Boss
Old January 19th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Janet B wrote:

Nope. You choose his fate.

It's that "new math."

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old January 19th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Paul E. Schoen wrote:

However, there
are many dogs and other animals that are being put down just because there
is no room in shelters, so perhaps those that would otherwise be "wasted"
might at least serve in some way to help others by being humanely
sacrificed for something like this.

That there is a dog overpopulation problem in the US does not mean
that those unwanted dogs should be fair game for abuse. And I think
abuse *is* what happened in this case. Sales and marketing gimmicks
should not be confused with medical testing.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old January 19th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in news:45b0555c$0$17930$ecde5a14
@news.coretel.net:

Paul and Muttley (rescued twice from euthanasia)

When was the second time he was "rescued" from euthaniasia?

Just curious.

Tara
Old January 19th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
@news.coretel.net:

Paul and Muttley (rescued twice from euthanasia)

When was the second time he was "rescued" from euthaniasia?

Just curious.

Tara

Actually, it was three times. When my friend was in the process of rescuing
the pack of four dogs, she physically took two of them, but Muttley and his
bitch "Rottie" were taken by animal control to the city pound. She had a
friend pull some strings to keep them from getting euthed, and I helped
take them away to another place. Save #1, indirectly.

A couple weeks later, I was called to take Muttley from the vet's, where he
had just been castrated, to the SPCA where I had been told he would be
placed in an adoption program. When they said they were overloaded and
would euth him, I decided to find another solution. Save #2.

After the unfortunate incident at the obedience class, I had made a
decision and even an appointment for him to be euthed. The first vet said I
had to wait 10 days or two weeks after the bite before he could be euthed,
so I postponed the original appointment. Meanwhile another friend said she
knew someone who was interested in taking him, so I canceled the
appointment. Save #3.

Paul and Muttley

Old January 19th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

[...]

There are lots of people who agree with you, which is several hundred
ex-racing greyhounds were sold to research laboratories a few years
back. Thankfully, there are also a lot of people who disagree with
you.

A few years ago, when our local shelter was euthanizing for space (now
they have over 200 animals, including cats roaming free on the
property and dogs housed outdoors, and they're not accepting owner
turn-ins, but they're 'no kill', yee-haw), a vet on the board had a
really creative idea. Why not bleed the dogs that were being
euthanized, and the blood could be sold to vets who would use it for
transfusions? Then those dogs wouldn't be "wasted".

So, how's your training with Muttley coming? Or has he magically
turned into the perfect pet now that you've gotten him away from
Janet?

Mustang Sally

Paul and Muttley (rescued twice from euthanasia)

Old January 19th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message

So, how's your training with Muttley coming? Or has he magically
turned into the perfect pet now that you've gotten him away from
Janet?

Mustang Sally

He's doing pretty well. I have been able to get him to sit and wait at the
door while I put on his collar and leash, and not go barging out when I
open the door. He looks at me intently until I tell him OK, but he is still
a bit too exuberant as he goes out. His leash manners are better, but he
likes to pull. Sometimes it's a good thing, as he helps me pull a cartload
of firewood up the hill. I might get a harness and really put him to work.

He is very good about communicating his needs (or desires) to go outside. I
can leave him in the house with water and a bowl of dry food, and come back
8-10 hours later and he is often still sleeping upstairs, or waiting at the
door wagging his tail. I even left some milk bone treats on a low table for
him and they were still there when I got back.

He usually sleeps on the bed while I am on the computer. When I need to go
to bed, I just indicate for him to get off, and he goes onto his own bed
while I get settled. Then later he fairly carefully jumps into bed, and
sometimes snuggles next to me, or curls up at my feet. I need a bigger bed!

I really need to give him more socialization with other people and animals.
He gets very excited when he sees the deer that live in the woods behind
the house. Usually he is very calm and relaxed, and he likes to roll over
while I scratch his belly.

He is not quite the perfect pet, but I have few complaints. I think his
previous problems were from stress, both his own and what he sensed in me.

Paul and Muttley (rescued twice from euthanasia)

Old January 19th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
:

After the unfortunate incident at the obedience class, I had made a
decision and even an appointment for him to be euthed. The first vet
said I had to wait 10 days or two weeks after the bite before he could
be euthed, so I postponed the original appointment. Meanwhile another
friend said she knew someone who was interested in taking him, so I
canceled the appointment. Save #3.

That's not considered being "rescued from euthaniasia". That's simply
rethinking whether or not you're willing to kill your dog rather than train
him. Fwiw, I've always been glad that you (sort of) chose the latter
option....even though you never followed through with it. Since you've
decided to keep him for real this time, I really do hope that you actually
commit to some sort of training program. I could care less what
kind....just anything would be better than what you've been doing.

And no, owners not taking reponsibility for buckling down and training
their dogs, and then deciding not to euth because maybe they'll decide to
start training again someday does not- by anyone's definitnio- qualify as
"rescued from euthanasia"

And yeah....that's what I thought you meant. I'm saddened to see that I was
right.

Tara