Beagle Skin Problem

Old January 29th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Brian

Default Beagle Skin Problem

I have 2 beagles. One is 3 and one is 2. My 3 year old (female) has
had this rash all her life. She has been to the vet and to the
dermatologist multiple times and they seem to be clueless on what this
is and what is causing it. It is mainly under her front arms and
under her neck. It is all red and has chunks of black skin in it. It
almost looks like it is burnt. Her underarms ar red and in the pit
they are black. Almost looks like an elephants skin. She itches all
of the time. We have tried medicated shampoo, all natural diet, all
sorts of medicine, and she still has this problem. When they do a
skin culture there is no type of parisites. My 2 year old is
perfectly healthy with no rash what so ever. Can some one please help
me figure out what is wrong with her? I have pictures I can email out
if seeing it would be better.
Thanks.

-Brian

Old January 29th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread oups.com:
"Brian" whittled the following words:

[...]

has she been tested for Addisons or Cushings? Both have similar symptoms,
and both are common Beagle afflictions. I had an Addisonian dog once, and
the black elephant skin and hairless patches was a syptom. It's pretty
intuitive thing to test for in the presence of such symptoms, and I'm sure
your vet has already suggested testing for it, so it's probably stupid of
me to suggest, because I'm sure the testing has already occurred to your
vet, if he's already ruled out the obvious through testing and is still at
a loss.
Old January 29th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Uncle Nobby

"diddy" wrote in message
[...]

I had a dog with Addison's and non of the above are symptoms of it.
Even if it were those symptoms for that period of time would have resulted
in more serious outcome by this time

Old February 3rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Brian" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 2 beagles. One is 3 and one is 2. My 3 year old (female) has
had this rash all her life. She has been to the vet and to the
dermatologist multiple times and they seem to be clueless on what this
is and what is causing it. It is mainly under her front arms and
under her neck. It is all red and has chunks of black skin in it. It
almost looks like it is burnt. Her underarms ar red and in the pit
they are black. Almost looks like an elephants skin. She itches all
of the time.

.........where do they sleep and what kind of bedding do they have?

...........any other symptoms like drinking a lot, lethargy?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 4th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Brian

On Feb 3, 9:11 am, "buglady" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have 2 beagles. One is 3 and one is 2. My 3 year old (female) has
had this rash all her life. She has been to the vet and to the
dermatologist multiple times and they seem to be clueless on what this
is and what is causing it. It is mainly under her front arms and
under her neck. It is all red and has chunks of black skin in it. It
almost looks like it is burnt. Her underarms ar red and in the pit
they are black. Almost looks like an elephants skin. She itches all
of the time.

........where do they sleep and what kind of bedding do they have?

..........any other symptoms like drinking a lot, lethargy?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

They sleep with us in bed. The one with the allergies is always sleepy

Old February 4th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Brian" wrote in message
oups.com...
They sleep with us in bed. The one with the allergies is always sleepy

......Not on any meds currently? Have they ever done a skin biopsy? A full
6-panel thyroid? What exactly did the dermatologists rule out? What
treatments have been tried?

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dskin.html
Skin gets thickened and black in response to almost any chronic irritation
if it goes on long enough. So it is not uncommon to see a similar looking
condition in almost any breed when chronic skin disease such as demodicosis,
allergies or anything else has been causing itchiness or irritation long
enough.

Old February 4th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Brian

On Feb 4, 8:07 am, "buglady" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

oups.com...

They sleep with us in bed. The one with the allergies is always sleepy

.....Not on any meds currently? Have they ever done a skin biopsy? A full
6-panel thyroid? What exactly did the dermatologists rule out? What
treatments have been tried?

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dskin.html
Skin gets thickened and black in response to almost any chronic irritation
if it goes on long enough. So it is not uncommon to see a similar looking
condition in almost any breed when chronic skin disease such as demodicosis,
allergies or anything else has been causing itchiness or irritation long
enough.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Not on any meds right now. They did a skin biopsy but I think that
was to check for mites. That test came back negative. I will ask
about the thyroid check.
Thanks.

Old February 5th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Brian" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not on any meds right now. They did a skin biopsy but I think that
was to check for mites. That test came back negative. I will ask
about the thyroid check.

........I know skin scrapings don't always show mites. Don't know about
biopsies. Actually the biopsy should also have been to look at the
structure of the skin and to see if there are any fungal structures -
sometimes they can tell what's going on at a microscopic level. Did they
send the tissue off to a pathologist? Maybe you could get a copy of that
report.

.....Don't bother with a thyroid test that's just T4 and T3, you need the
whole shebang.

Three Questions jabadoodle Dog health 20 November 30th 06 12:01 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Canine Allergies FAQ Cheryl Minnier Dog info 0 November 18th 05 06:36 AM
Skin Problem on a Pitbull-mix tgentry Dog health 2 July 2nd 03 01:19 PM