Small limp in puppy ... is this a concern?

Old February 9th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ian P

Default Small limp in puppy ... is this a concern?

Hello all,

I have two little cavvy puppies, both now 14 weeks old, and just last night
I noticed that one of them had a slight limp. It doesn't seem to be
distressing her, but it is quite noticeable. Yesterday was only their second
day out walking, and I took them for two half hour walks together, both
days, along the beach. I didn't notice any problems immediately after the
walk, and she is not showing any signs of licking any of her paws, or
anything like that. I've had a fairly close look at her paws and can't see
any cuts or signs of anything amiss, and have done a little bit of gentle
rubbing of her legs, but haven't noticed her flinching at all. I just
wondered what the cause could be and whether or not I should stop taking her
for walks until it heals. I will of course take her to the vet if it lasts
more than a day - but as it is now the weekend, I thought I'd seek your
thoughts in the meantime.

Many thanks,
Ian (Australia)

Old February 10th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
mojomcl

HI there
I am certainly no expert, and I don't like stabbing in the dark, BUT,
as I read this, two things came to mind. The first is that sand,
although low impact, IS a very difficult surface to walk on, and your
cavaliers muscles and ligaments could simply be tired. To go from no
walks, to a total of an hour on sand (off lead?) would have been quite
a shock to the newly forming legs. The OTHER thing, which is
relitivly common in cavaliers over here (I'm in Scotland), is
(spelling...!!) luxating patella. This is where the kneecap can slip
in ant out of the socket during movement. It might be worth
'googling' this, to see what you can find.
I have always had a cavalier in the house, and the can just be wimps
when it comes to their wee legs! lol
ENJOY your puppies!

Old February 11th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ian P

Thank you very much for your thoughts and advice on this. I followed your
tip and had a look at some information on patella luxation ... and while
some of the symptoms fit, I'm a little more inclined to think she just
strained a muscle a little. Whatever it is, it seems to be on the mend - but
I'm keeping an eye on her and will take her to the vet if it persists or
gets worse. You may be right about the sand, too. Although Thursday was
their first day out in the world (because of needing to wait for their
injections to kick in), they had already had lots and lots of daily exercise
in a reasonable sized backyard, chasing each other around at a furious
speed, whenever there was disputes over ownership of a toy, which is pretty
often. But that, of course, was on a firmer surface. This is my first time
with cavvies - and I am utterly and irrevocably in love with them both. They
are littermates (brother and sister) and have loads of fun with each other,
but have also bonded very nicely with me, so it seems a perfect balance. A
lot of work, but worth every bit of it.

Thanks again for your post,
Ian

oups.com...