Can I jog with a Great Dane?

Old February 17th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Berrek

Default Can I jog with a Great Dane?

I am considering getting a Great Dane. I have done some research and
everything about them fits my needs perfect except i have heard they
are not good jogging partners. I am defenitly looking for a dog I can
take on at 3-4 mile jogs daily but not strenuous runs. Can a great
Dane be capable of this.
Also my second choice of breed would be a weimaraner but I was
concerned about their trainability and compatibility with cats. What
are your thoughts?

Old February 18th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ruth

"Berrek" wrote in message: Also my second choice
of breed would be a weimaraner but I was concerned about their trainability
and compatibility with cats. What are your thoughts?

Wow! I am surprised that Weims are a second choice to Danes. You couldn't
ask for two breeds more different in temperament. While Weims do make great
jogging partners, they can be a very difficult breed for many to live with.
If you truly are interested in a Weim, I would suggest you look into a young
adult from one of the great Weim rescue groups around the country. A good
list of contact information can be found at www.weim.org

If you are looking for a puppy, that is also a great site to make contacts
local to your area. As with most breeds, jogging is not recommended until a
dog is at least 18-24 months of age. That is another consideration for you
to think about that might make a rescue a better option.

You can also join the weim email list at http://weim.net/mailing.htm There
are about 225 members with extensive experience in the breed as well as
rescue and breeder contacts.

Weims have become a much more popular breed over the last few years and as a
result, there are tons of good-looking websites out there selling them.
Most of these are extremely misleading and are generally (tho not always)
backyard breeders whose intentions may be good, but whose knowledge of the
breed and its various health and temperament issues is minimal.

If you are interested in a rescue or a breeder referral, you can email me
privately and I will be happy to give you some referral contacts.

Ruth, Woody & Thumper

Old February 19th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

"Berrek" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering getting a Great Dane. I have done some research and
everything about them fits my needs perfect except i have heard they
are not good jogging partners. I am defenitly looking for a dog I can
take on at 3-4 mile jogs daily but not strenuous runs. Can a great
Dane be capable of this.
Also my second choice of breed would be a weimaraner but I was
concerned about their trainability and compatibility with cats. What
are your thoughts?

How about picking up a mutt at an animal shelter and saving his life and
enhancing yours? Any healthy dog will make a good jogging partner.

rec.pets.dogs: Great Danes Breed-FAQ John Thomas Dog info 0 January 18th 06 06:48 AM
Great Dane or Newfoundland? [email protected] Dog breeds 0 December 27th 05 08:02 PM
Agressive Great Dane Pat Dog behavior 0 September 13th 04 03:43 PM
Agressive Great Dane Pat Dog behavior 0 September 13th 04 03:43 PM
Prospective Great Dane owner with some questions Pat Dog breeds 4 November 4th 03 09:50 PM