Saved dog

Old February 18th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
The McLeans

Default Saved dog

Hi Someone dropped a dog off in our area and we took him in. It was during
the coldest of the winter we have had so far. I am use to cats having 4 but
dogs I am just learning about. My issue is the dogs privates have what I
think is frost bite( if someone has a better idea of what it could be that
would be great). I am not sure though., They look like the skin has been
torn off and have red blotches. I am going to be getting the dog fixed but
am not able to for at least a month. This might be the only thing I can do
but I am looking at a temp solution because he keeps biting at them and
licking them where they are sensitive. Is there anyone who can recommend
something I can do for now to try to help him. He is a sweet dog and I want
to do what I can for him. In a way he has saved my life as I have his. If
anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Old February 18th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Feb 18, 9:47 am, "The McLeans" wrote:
[...]

Get this dog to a vet or contact a local humane organization. This
does not sound like something that can wait for a month. Do you
understand what frostbite is????

Old February 18th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . com,
wrote:
Get this dog to a vet or contact a local humane organization. This
does not sound like something that can wait for a month. Do you
understand what frostbite is????

With frostbite the skin typically turns black and often
edema develops. It's possible that the skin froze to a cold
surface (it's been known to happen with the dangly bits) and
was torn off when the dog moved. I agree with your broader
point about the necessity of getting the dog to the vet,
though.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old February 19th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

"The McLeans" wrote in message
[...]

Get him to a vet ASAP.

Old February 20th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
The McLeans

Well I contacted the vets...and have talked to atleast 4....they have told
me from the colouration and what is going on with him it is NOT frost bite.
I also have made arrangements to get him fixed which will take care of the
whole problem . almost every vet said it sounded like a skin irritation like
eczema. He will be fixed with in the week anyway.
I just want to thank those who gave advise and not preachy sermons. If you
noticed in the original message I didn't say I wasn't going to take him to
the vet ..just wasn't going to get him fixed till next month. I just needed
some more immediate advice and appreciate those who gave it.