Dog has rubbed the skin off his nose, bleeding. Is the vet taking me for a ride?

Old February 26th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Deckard

Default Dog has rubbed the skin off his nose, bleeding. Is the vet taking me for a ride?

This is the thrid time it has happened. For some reason, his nose gets
irritated, and he rubs it on everything, causing bleeding. There is
blood on everything from his rubbing, blankets, sofa, rug. I am taking
him to the vet tonight.

What I am wondering is because this is the third time it has happened,
and the vet is yet to completely fix the problem, should I be charged
the full amount for her to see him.

Last time they gave him meds, which seemed to work for a while, but
then it came back.
If I am charged for eveytime this happens it will cost a fortune.

Should I be charged everytime I go to the vet for the same problem
they have not fixed? It is the same bleeding issue as last time, yet
they will do a consult, and charge me for something they already have
seen.

What are your experiences with vets in a case like this? In a way I am
feeling scammed.

I like my vet, I am not assigning blame to anyone here, but what stops
a vet from not fully fixing a pet, so you are stuck going back
numerous time, fixing the same issue over and over again?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Old February 26th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Deckard

On Feb 26, 1:40 pm, diddy wrote:
in oglegroups.com:
"Deckard" whittled the following words:

[...]

Why do you think the is dog reinjuring itself (potentially because of auto-
immune issues -a life-long problem-potentially but not necessarily
treatable problem; because of behavior issues; because of genetic problems)
If the dog is doing things that re-injures itself, Why are you blaming the
vet?
Has the vet explored auto-immune issues? Or genetic issues?- Hide quoted text -

The dog loves to burry his nose in the snow and ice, in the summer he
burrys his nose in the dirt, basically anywhere he can. I think either
he has a small cut or maybe a dermatitis like thing going on, which
causes it to be irritable, and he scratches it and rubs it on
everything. Now I am not a vet, so I dont know what it is. If you have
poison ivy, you want to scratch, if you scratch hard enough, you will
bleed, I am presuming it is like the same thing. I would say the dog
is reinjuring itself on purpose, the injury stems from the scratchig
and rubbing.

I take him to the vet, she says its almost like little pimples, gives
him meds, and charges $$$ for the consult. I bring him back to the vet
when it occurs again, she says the same thing, gives him meds, and
charges $$$ for the consult.
If I bring him back to the vet tonight, and she does the same thing,
should I be charged all this $$$? I could tell you that it is the same
as last time.

Also, did you not read the post?I said I am not assigning blame to
anyone. What I am asking is when do you call it enough if you being
charged for the same thing over and over again.

"Has the vet explored auto-immune issues? Or genetic issues?" No she
hasnt.

Old February 26th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Deckard

On Feb 26, 2:24 pm, diddy wrote:
in oglegroups.com:
"Deckard" whittled the following words:

Also, did you not read the post?I said I am not assigning blame to
anyone. What I am asking is when do you call it enough if you being
charged for the same thing over and over again.

Yes, It's not your doc's fault that the dog keeps injuring itself. I would
find a method to stop the dog from doing that, even if it had to wear a
basket muzzle to protect it's nose.

FWIW, I have a puppy who loves to eat bird droppings. He's not been sick
from it, but he might get that way. I just purchased a muzzle to stop him
from doing that. It's a lot cheaper than vet bills.

I used to have a doberman with Von Willebrauns. It's a genetic disease. Any
time she bled, it was life threatening. I had many vet bills with her that
an ordinary dog wouldn't have. It was not my vet's fault (or hers) that she
had a life threatening disorder.
I was at work, She caught her toenail in the fabric of a sofa. She bled to
death while I was at work (while I believed she was safe at home)
Any prick, or bleeding incident, or bruising incident was life threatening.
She involved many very expensive emergency treatments.
VERY expensive dog to have. Never once did I feel the vet should give me a
volume discount for being seen for the same condition.

You are so right, I am going to muzzle him at home from now on, save
my house from getting blood everywhere too.

More or less, I am questioning the vets right to charge me everytime I
go in for something, even though she looked at the same problem a few
months ago.

Any experiences with vets being like shady car mechanics?

If I take my dog to one vet, she give hime meds and says its
dermatitis. Then I take him to another vet and they say he has
something more serious, is the first vet liable for any wrong doing
because he or she was lazy, or wanting more money due to having to go
back to the vet more? This is all hypothetical of course.

How do you know when you are done wrong by your vet.

Old February 26th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

"Deckard" wrote in
oups.com:

On Feb 26, 1:40 pm, diddy wrote:
[...]

Here's what's weird to me:

You want to be able to keep on letting your dog do something that is
clearly injuring her, but you want to vet to subsidize it by cutting you
slack on the vet bills?

At what point does it become somewhat your responsibility to stop your
dog from injuring herself?

If I had a long term health issue that my personal doctor couldn't cure
(especially if some of my own behavior was possibly a contributing
factor), would I be right in expecting that my doctor not charge me for
future visits on that topic unless he or she was able to "cure" it after
the first two? That would, in my opinion, be unreasonable. And it seems
also unreasonable to expect your vet to do that as well.

With that said, my vet will sometimes consider multiple visits on the
same topic a "follow-up" visit, with either no charge for the visit, or
a reduced fee for it....but a Follow-up visit is when the issue crops up
again withint days or a couple of weeks within the original visit. If
its been months in between an issue croppin up, neither me nor my vet
would consider that a "follw-up", even if its the same, long term issue.

My last dog was weird. He had an obsession with digging at rocks under
water. When we'd drive him to the lake, he'd try to dig at rocks
underwater for hours. I realized that it was more than just "weird" but
an actual problem when he dug so hard, he filed his own nails past the
quick and bled for ages afterwar one visit. Trip to the vet to make sure
he hadn't done damage, and check his pads. Yeah, he's hurt his pads as
well. If I had let him, he would have done that on every trip. This is
not my vet's responsibility, its mine.

It sounds like your dog has some itchy acne like problems *and* a
tendancy to rub her nose around in everything. I have no idea if the
latter is causing the former, but you might want to look into that. Even
if not, not everything is "cured", and its not your vet's job to
subsidize your pet's health issue. I tend to break out if I don't get
regular glycolic peels. I don't get to make my doctor give them to me
for free simply because the first three didn't "fix it". Its an ongoing
problem that is managed in an ongoing manner. But I'm not going to
expect my doctor to wave the wand or pay for future visits.

Tara
Old February 26th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Deckard

On Feb 26, 2:39 pm, Tara wrote:
"Deckard" wrote groups.com:

On Feb 26, 1:40 pm, diddy wrote:
[...]

I see what you are saying.

It is not like I allow my dog to do this. It is not really something I
can prevent, unless I want to muzzle him 100% of the time. I go to
work, he is fine, come home and the top of his nose is bleeding.Would
you muzzle your dog if he wasnt rubbing or scratching? Why would I?

Why are you trying to assign blame here? I am not blaming anyone. I am
not trying to "handoff" responsibility either.
Do you really think I am allowing my dog to injure itself?

Does anyone here agree with me that vets can be shady, immoral, money
hungry? Of course, they are human too. Police officers, car mechanics,
doctors can all be shady.

Is it possible that a vet can purposely mis-diagnose a problem so you
have to constantly go back and pay for consul fees?

A friend of mines dog had Rose Gardners disease, they paid thousands
of dollars trying to figure out what was wrong. Rose gardners disease
was mentioned, and the vet more or less said impossible. So they
continued spending lots of money trying to figure out what the
problems was. Weeks later, and after a new vet, the dog was diagnosed
with Rose Gardners disease.

Is the vet somewhat liable? Could he or she have "missed" the Rose
Gardens on purpose to make more $$$?

Its not a question of blame, its a question of is the vet being moral
and proffesional.

My first vet wouldnt do a neuter without a ecko-cardio gram because of
a murmur. Which at the time we couldnt afford, it was going to cost a
bundle.
I then took my dog to my current vet, and she said the murmur was not
bad, she had done neutering on many dogs with murmurs and he will be
fine. Surgery was done, dog dig fantastic, and a lot of money was
saved.
I have spoken to many people about this and we all ahve agreed, that
the vet may have been thinking in the dogs best favour, yet they were
also thinking of the $$ too.

You want to be able to keep on letting your dog do something that is
clearly injuring her, but you want to vet to subsidize it by cutting you
slack on the vet bills?

At what point does it become somewhat your responsibility to stop your
dog from injuring herself?

I really dont like what you are insinuating here. I hope my post hasnt
portayed this. My dog is my life. Not only do I give 100% of my time
money is no issue, and he gets the best. The issue is with the vet.

Old February 26th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Deckard

I tend to break out if I don't get
regular glycolic peels. I don't get to make my doctor give them to me
for free simply because the first three didn't "fix it". Its an
ongoing
problem that is managed in an ongoing manner. But I'm not going to
expect my doctor to wave the wand or pay for future visits.

Perfect! Would you go to your doctor, after him/her telling you what
you already know (that you need regular glycolic peels) and pay him
for that.

If the doctor told me I have bad skin, its going to cost you 100$ for
the diagnosis, and 50$ for the meds.
A month later you go to the doctor because of your bad skin again, and
he asks for another 100$ for the exact same diagnosis.
Of course not, just because a month has gone by means nothing. He
might perscribe meds, which is fine, but to expect a fee for the same
diagnosis is crazy.

Do you see my point yet?

Old February 26th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread ups.com:
"Deckard" whittled the following words:

I see what you are saying.

No you aren't.

It is not like I allow my dog to do this. It is not really something I
can prevent, unless I want to muzzle him 100% of the time. I go to
work, he is fine, come home and the top of his nose is bleeding.Would
you muzzle your dog if he wasnt rubbing or scratching? Why would I?

Why should you think your vet is accountable for your dog's actions? We
never said you were abusing or neglecting your dog.

If the vet is CAUSING these incidents (which it doesn't sound like your vet
is) then you have an issue.

It sounds as if your vet is simply treating each incident as responsible to
do. The fact that your dog keeps doing recurring behaviors is not your vets
responsibility. She treats, and charges you a resulting bill.

I don't see the problem here
Old February 26th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread ps.com:
[...]

Nope. Not yet. Keep trying.
Old February 27th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Deckard" wrote in message
oups.com...
but what stops
a vet from not fully fixing a pet, so you are stuck going back
numerous time, fixing the same issue over and over again?

.......Oh, mostly because your pet is not a car! What are the meds the vet
used? If it was any kind of steroid, it makes the body stop responding to
an irritant, doesn't fix anything. Most likely an allergy.

.......What does your dog's nose look like when it's itchy?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 27th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

Scatching and itching........two things here either he is allergic to
something which I've never seen to this extent or he can't feel things
properly with his nose and that is why he keeps injuring it. I'm leaning
more towards the 2nd.

I had a lab mix who when she started to develop vestibular disease would rub
her face and dig at her nose with her paws. These were classic signs of
this disease developing. She did the nose scratching and digging at her
face on and off for over two years before the disease became full blown.
The initial signs are subtle and you may not even realize what's going on.
I know I certianly didn't. I just chalked it up to allergies and old age.
Once the disease became full blown she lost all feeling on the one side of
her face and actually big through her lip because she just couldn't feel it.
Along with the numbness came a droopy eye and eventually she couldn't blink
the eye on that side. I had to put in eye ointment and move the eye lid
multiple times a day to keep her eye hydrated.

Talk to your vet about vestibular disease and this ask him if this might not
be what's happening here it sure sounds like it to me.

Celeste

"Deckard" wrote in message
oups.com...

Three Questions jabadoodle Dog health 20 November 30th 06 12:01 AM
Three Questions jabadoodle Dog behavior 14 November 30th 06 12:01 AM
Anyone have a link to a professional opinion as to why some dogs like to ride with nose out...? Child Dog behavior 4 August 9th 03 06:49 PM