stray needs help

Old March 7th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Lydia

Default stray needs help

Hi from Kent, Washington just south of Seattle. A dog has appeared in
my neighborhood with no collar. She's been here for about 2 weeks
now. Another family and I have been giving her food, water, and a bed
to curl up in on their porch. We've also both called the Kent Animal
Shelter several times and they straight out told us that this is low
priority. They still haven't been out for her.

When she first was spotted she was terrified, cold, and skinny. She
wouldn't let anyone come near her so there was no way we could catch
her to take her to the shelter. But over the last two weeks and after
some bribery with meat treats she is now allowing us to pet her and
play with her. She seems just fine with kids and hasn't been
aggressive. So I'm thinking she might be getting close to being
catchable. NOW I am attached, of course.

I can't keep her myself, but I want to help her have a second chance.
I worry about taking her to the animal shelter. I still have a
picture in my head of the old days when they would put them in a cage
and then the dog goes through that one-way door. Have they improved?
It's not the Humane Society, just the city shelter. I've also been
calling vet offices in the area for help and got some phone numbers
that didn't pan out.

So I thought I'd try a post here. Anyone have any resources? Some
where or some one in Western Washington State that would take a sweet
little dog who is a little taller than a beagle, same flop over ears,
kind of a reddish brown color?

Please help her find a loving home.

Thanks,
Lydia

Old March 7th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
flick

"Lydia" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

How very kind of you to feed her!

Have you looked around for "lost dog" signs? Also, look in the local
paper's classifieds section, in "lost pet."

If I were you, I would go to www.petfinder.com and look for shelters and
rescues in your area. Then go to their sites and find out if they are
no-kill or not. You may be able to find a rescue who has room to take her.

flick 100785

Thanks,
Lydia

Old March 8th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Lydia

The other family helping her did put 'found dog' signs up at all the
mail kiosks of the different neighborhoods of our housing
development. No response to those. Several years ago when we moved
into our house we rescued an abandoned chicken who had been left when
the farm across from us was torn down to build more houses. We took
it to a rescue group called BaaHaus we knew of on Vashon Island that
specializes in farm animals. Last night, I got to thinking about that
and wondered if that woman would have any references. Sure enough,
there is a group on Vashon Island that does dogs/cats that would take
her. So I walked over to the other house where she's been sleeping
and wanted to let them know my plans in case they had any developments
of their own and he told me they *just* found a home for her last
night. The is the family of a reverend and they found someone from
their church to take her. So good news from several different
directions for her last night. If they hadn't found a home for her,
she would have been safe and warm today at Vashon Island Pet
Protectors and BaaHaus offered to pay for her vet checkup and shots.
And the offer still stands there if her new home doesn't work out.

So kudos to BaaHaus and VIPP for the compassionate help. If you're
wanting a good group to donate to, I'm sure they could both use
anything you give!

Thanks to you here, too.
Lydia

9wk Old Stray Advise Paul Dog behavior 1 December 10th 05 03:33 PM
Need Help with a Stray Malamute in the south [email protected] Dog behavior 2 December 27th 04 03:44 AM
Sam the Stray Gwendolen Dogs - general 0 November 12th 03 05:51 PM
Sam the Stray Gwendolen Dog behavior 2 August 19th 03 06:28 AM
Sam the Stray Gwendolen Dog behavior 0 August 19th 03 06:05 AM