Fever & no appetite

Old March 20th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Fever & no appetite

Mixed breed (possible beagle/small collie mix), female, spayed,
aproximately 9.5 years old. History of good heath, vaccinations,
heartworm preventative and flea/tick treatments (Frontline).

A little over a week ago, she developed a fever (listless, depressed).
Took her to vet, and found a fever of 105. Back legs were a little
lame so they took xrays. They found two vertebra a little close to
each other. Blood work showed white blood cell count was low. They put
her on antibiotics. They also gave her a shot, which revived her to 75
percent for the night. The next day, and following days, her fever
remained. Her appetite went away, only eating small amounts of
hamburger and a dog cookie sometimes. Aproximately 5 days later, we
took her back to the vet, and her fever was 106. They gave another
shot, which brought it down. New blood work showed within normal
range, and urin showed no problem. No bowel movment problems, and only
vomiting from antibiotics. Dr. changed perscription,and vomiting went
away. 3 days ago, temperature was normal (102). This maintained for 2
days, with occasional temps of upper 102's to mid 103's. Still no
appetite. Drinking water normally.

3 vets are stumped. They can do an ultrasound and hopefully find
something out. I am not made of money, and have already put
aproximately $500 towards this illness already. The Dr's really can't
proceed without further investigation (and more $$$). I'd hate to put
her down, but it seems like it's heading that way, unless someone out
there has any ideas!

Old March 20th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article .com,
wrote:
3 vets are stumped. They can do an ultrasound and hopefully find
something out. I am not made of money, and have already put
aproximately $500 towards this illness already. The Dr's really can't
proceed without further investigation (and more $$$). I'd hate to put
her down, but it seems like it's heading that way, unless someone out
there has any ideas!

It doesn't sound like they've done much on the diagnostic
side. If your vets have limited diagnostic facilities (or
skills, another possibility, frankly) and you can afford it,
a teaching hospital associated with a veterinary college is
usually a very good bet. I certainly wouldn't give up on
the dog without putting in more effort to find out what was
going on.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 20th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 20, 4:08 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
3 vets are stumped. They can do an ultrasound and hopefully find
something out. I am not made of money, and have already put
aproximately $500 towards this illness already. The Dr's really can't
proceed without further investigation (and more $$$). I'd hate to put
her down, but it seems like it's heading that way, unless someone out
there has any ideas!

It doesn't sound like they've done much on the diagnostic
side. If your vets have limited diagnostic facilities (or
skills, another possibility, frankly) and you can afford it,
a teaching hospital associated with a veterinary college is
usually a very good bet. I certainly wouldn't give up on
the dog without putting in more effort to find out what was
going on.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle

Thanks for the reply.
That may be my fault (the lack of diagnosis). I did indicate I didn't
want to get radical or invasive, and money isn't plentiful, so they
modified their treatments to that critera with a 'shot gun' approach.
What they want to do to help solve this mystery is look at her
lymphnode's since they seemed a little enlarged. They also said the
next logical step is to do an ultrasound of her abdomen. So far
bloodwork and symptoms seemed to rule out major orgain faulure
(Kidney's, liver, heart sounds good,stool is ok, no vomiting anymore
due to meds). The facility in question is http://www.animalmedicalhospital.net/index.htm
.. I have about 10 years of taking dogs to them. Their eldest Dr. is
extremely experienced and knowledgable. Probably the main obsticle has
been my lack of $. I'm seriously considering putting another couple
hundred more $ in and hoping they find 'something'. Obviously my
priority is the comfort of the dog, and paying the mortgage. (Crosses
fingers). I've had 8 dogs in my life, and this one has been the most
challenge. Every dog I've owned has let me know when it was time for
them to die (except one, who died at home unexpectedly). This dog is
very sick, but shows a will to live, she's just tiring. I get mixed
signals from her. Believe me, I don't take animal ownership lightly,
and have to balance it with the normal responsibilities in life. What
a bind it is!

Old March 21st 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 20, 9:02 pm, "Spot" wrote:
Did they test for Lyme disease?

Celeste

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

there has any ideas!- Hide quoted text -

Good question. They did mention the possiblilty of a tick borne
disease. I'm adding it to the 'check for this' list. I'm dropping her
off tomorrow morning for an ultra sound, check on swollen lymph nodes,
as well as a double check of dental problems, and tick borne diseases
(IE Lyme). Let's hope it isn't cancer in the lymph nodes.

Old March 21st 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected][_2_]

Good question. They did mention the possiblilty of a tick borne
disease. I'm adding it to the 'check for this' list. I'm dropping her
off tomorrow morning for an ultra sound, check on swollen lymph nodes,
as well as a double check of dental problems, and tick borne diseases
(IE Lyme). Let's hope it isn't cancer in the lymph nodes.- Hide quoted text -

It just occurred to me... Lyme disease isn't very common in Florida.
They did check kidney function via urine test and complete blood
tests. All major organs appeared to have normal function. Although she
does have some symptoms similar to lyme disease, she is lacking a lot
as well. They did ask if she's traveled or been exposed to other dogs
where she may have contracted an out of area tick disease (the answer
is no). I'll mention it again just to be sure, but i suspect she
doesnt have it with the evidence we have so far.

Old March 21st 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message
ps.com...
A little over a week ago, she developed a fever (listless, depressed).
Took her to vet, and found a fever of 105. Back legs were a little
lame so they took xrays. They found two vertebra a little close to
each other. Blood work showed white blood cell count was low.

What they want to do to help solve this mystery is look at her
lymphnode's since they seemed a little enlarged. They also said the
next logical step is to do an ultrasound of her abdomen. So far
bloodwork and symptoms seemed to rule out major orgain faulure
(Kidney's, liver, heart sounds good,stool is ok, no vomiting anymore
due to meds).

.......I'd think about tick disease. The vertebra issue could be
coincidental and not the cause of any hind leg lameness. I notice in a later
post you say you're in FL. There's Ehrlichia here, also Lepto. I'd get the
tests. Though since your dog just had a fever, there may not be any
antibodies present right now.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old March 21st 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 20, 10:19 pm, "buglady" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...
[...]

The ultrasound today revealed a lot of deep internal lymph nodes
swollen to about 'twice their normal size'. The Dr. can't collect a
sample from a needle without significant risk of hitting major organs
or vessels. There is a swollen lymph node externally (can't remember
where) where he can safely get a biopsy. This is being done now. He is
going to look at it, and send it out to a pathologist as well. He also
mentioned reading up on tick born diseases as a possiblity. I will
mention these to him. She was/is feverish today as well. Still no
appetite, and getting weaker. Not sure how long she'll last on nibbles
of food only (water intake is good). The Dr. readily admits he will
look at the biopsy, but isn't a pathologist by any means. I suspect
the test results could take up to 5 days. Honestly I don't see the dog
lasting that long without substantial food intake. This is precisely
what I didn't want to put the dog though, suffering. I'll wing it, but
I can't let this go on very much longer, it is becoming inhumane.

Thanks for the replies though, I will mention your ideas.

Old March 21st 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

Well if you check out the TICK-L group you will see there are way more cases
than you ever thought all over the whole USA. I wouldn't rule it out based
on that alone. I would ask to have her checked for it regardless of what
the vet thinks. It's better safe than sorry.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message
ups.com...
The ultrasound today revealed a lot of deep internal lymph nodes
swollen to about 'twice their normal size'. The Dr. can't collect a
sample from a needle without significant risk of hitting major organs
or vessels. There is a swollen lymph node externally (can't remember
where) where he can safely get a biopsy. This is being done now. He is
going to look at it, and send it out to a pathologist as well. He also
mentioned reading up on tick born diseases as a possiblity.

The Dr. readily admits he will
look at the biopsy, but isn't a pathologist by any means. I suspect
the test results could take up to 5 days. Honestly I don't see the dog
lasting that long without substantial food intake. This is precisely
what I didn't want to put the dog though, suffering. I'll wing it, but
I can't let this go on very much longer, it is becoming inhumane.

.........Reading up on it isn't going to do anything for your dog now. It
could easily be something else, but if it IS a tick disease you need to
treat now, not next week. And the tests for tick disease would take too
long to get back. There's absolutely nothing to lose by demanding treatment
at this point. Nothing. Didn't the dog respond on the first couple of days
of antibiotics? Would seem to indicate to me that it might be an infectious
process. If he needs help with the dx on symptoms only tell him to sign on
to the Tick List and talk to the vets. Better yet, you can. Please do this
tonight. There's a link on this page plus a lot of info on tick diseases:
http://blackgsd.googlepages.com/home

Please pay attention to the doses of antibiotics needed - this info comes
from the docs on the Tick list. If it's something unrelated to tick disease
and so serious they can't fix it, you're not losing anything by trying this
without a firm diagnosis.

Good luck, and please post back.