Lymes Vaccination, To vaccinate OR not

Old April 4th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul Flansburg

Default Lymes Vaccination, To vaccinate OR not

All,

I have been reading till my eyes have popped out of my head. My vet
is reccomending the Lymes vaccination and I not 100% sure that this is
the way to go. She was tested for Lymes in the office and blood was
sent out. The test came back, I think C6 was less than 10. She is
currently on atibiotics (Doxy) for 28 days. Could someone please
point me to a few sites that have some good information on the Lymes
vaccination?

Thanks,
Paul

Old April 4th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Paul Flansburg" wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

I have been reading till my eyes have popped out of my head. My vet
is reccomending the Lymes vaccination and I not 100% sure that this is
the way to go. She was tested for Lymes in the office and blood was
sent out. The test came back, I think C6 was less than 10. She is
currently on atibiotics (Doxy) for 28 days. Could someone please
point me to a few sites that have some good information on the Lymes
vaccination?

Thanks,
Paul

=============
I just had my dog vaccinated for Lyme disease. It is the second or third
year she has had it done, and it was recommended to me by my vet. I have
heard of a few dogs that contacted Lyme disease in the area where I walk;
one died, so I make sure I get her vaccinated.

Old April 4th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
dwolf

I too read a lot... My dogs both tested positive years ago.. I chose to do
nothing and not to vaccinate also.. that's my two cents.
I'm also in the belief that most cases can be treated, yes in a rarer
situation it attacks the organs... I did my homework and said NO!!

hlink.net...

Old April 5th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Paul Flansburg" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have been reading till my eyes have popped out of my head. My vet
is reccomending the Lymes vaccination and I not 100% sure that this is
the way to go. She was tested for Lymes in the office and blood was
sent out. The test came back, I think C6 was less than 10. She is
currently on atibiotics (Doxy) for 28 days. Could someone please
point me to a few sites that have some good information on the Lymes
vaccination?

.......Go to the tick list and read if you haven't been there before.
There's a vet who runs it who is very familiar with treating tick diseases
and can give you the straight poop.
There's a link on this page: http://blackgsd.googlepages.com/home

Honestly, your dog needs to be treated, she already has Lyme disease. She
should have antibodies once she's been successfully treated.. I just don't
get it. Why on earth would you give a Lyme vax to a dog that has Lyme
disease? Have you asked your vet to explain his/her reasoning? Would you
give a polio vax to a person with polio? A distemper shot to a dog with
distemper? Makes zero sense to me. Plus the Lyme vax can have serious
side effects. IIRC it is even worse to give to a dog who has had Lyme
disease.

If you're going to listen to anyone about vax, listen to this guy - a vet
specializing in immunology:
http://www.news.wisc.edu/8413.html

Here's the AAHA 2006 guidelines for vaccinations:
http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/Ab..._Canine06.html

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 5th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

I'm wondering why she's being treated with a C6 level of less than 10. My
vet said that once we get Buddys C6 to below 30 it's considered a successful
treatment. It's been a year since he was initially treated and we are
waiting results to see where is C6 is at now. Six months before this he was
still a high positive. He started out at a C6 of 96

Celeste

Old April 8th 07, 05:47 PM
kittyluver kittyluver is offline
Junior Member

Location: www.cathealthcareguide.com
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buglady View Post
"Paul Flansburg" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have been reading till my eyes have popped out of my head. My vet
is reccomending the Lymes vaccination and I not 100% sure that this is
the way to go. She was tested for Lymes in the office and blood was
sent out. The test came back, I think C6 was less than 10. She is
currently on atibiotics (Doxy) for 28 days. Could someone please
point me to a few sites that have some good information on the Lymes
vaccination?

.......Go to the tick list and read if you haven't been there before.
There's a vet who runs it who is very familiar with treating tick diseases
and can give you the straight poop.
There's a link on this page:
Canine Tick Disease - Tick Disease in Dogs

Honestly, your dog needs to be treated, she already has Lyme disease. She
should have antibodies once she's been successfully treated.. I just don't
get it. Why on earth would you give a Lyme vax to a dog that has Lyme
disease? Have you asked your vet to explain his/her reasoning? Would you
give a polio vax to a person with polio? A distemper shot to a dog with
distemper? Makes zero sense to me. Plus the Lyme vax can have serious
side effects. IIRC it is even worse to give to a dog who has had Lyme
disease.

If you're going to listen to anyone about vax, listen to this guy - a vet
specializing in immunology:
Schultz: Dog vaccines may not be necessary (Mar 14, 2003)

Here's the AAHA 2006 guidelines for vaccinations:
2006 AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines

buglady
take out the dog before replying

What Buglady telling is 100% correct. The dog inferring from lyme disease need not to be vaccinated against Lyme disease. Already your dog developed antibodies against this disease. (Antibiotics help for development of antibodies apart from self-immune responders)

You can vaccinate your dog after one year...