Dog less and less interested in eating, going out

Old April 12th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,alt.animals.dogs,alt.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.misc
mm

Default Dog less and less interested in eating, going out

Hi,

I've been dogsitting for this dog 5 or 10 years, maybe 2 weeks a year,
or a little more, split into 2, maybe 3 parts, and for the last year
or so, she has gotten less and less "normal"

She used to obey me pretty well when I took her for a walk, but now
sometimes she really fights when I want to go back. She almost never
shows what I would have called real obedience, like I think she used
to. I don't care about that from an emotional pov, but sometimes I
want to go home, or I can't even start to walk her if I don't have
enough time for her prima donna attitude. But that is not the big
problem.

She was here last week for a day and a half, and didn't drink or eat a
thing, afaict, during that time. She went up to look at the food,
once each day, and may have taken a bite each time, but I'm not sure,
and the food level didn't change much. The water level seemed to stay
the same also. The same food and water that she gets at home.

When she didn't drink the water in the kitchen, I moved it upstairs to
the bathroom, where it has been for a few years. But before that it
was in the kitchen, and she drank it and when I moved it to the
bathroom she also didn't complain. I only moved it upstairs so it
would be easier for her to find it in the night. (Do I need to leave
a light on for her to find the water? In the upstairs bathroom, and
what if it is downstairs in the kitchen?)

She's a golden retriever, so when she drinks, it's usually almost a
bowelful.

Finally, just as I was getting ready to take her home last week, she
ate a whole bowl of food. This started as I was going into the fridge
to get the rest of her food to put in the car, but I think she started
eating before she could have figured that out. She might have seen me
pick up her water bowl upstairs, and because that was up already,
there was nothing for her to drink until she got to her home 5 minutes
away, where she promptly drank a whole bowl of water.

That was last Friday. Today is Wednesday, and her family is on
vacation again and she has been here since 10:30 this morning and it
is 8:30 PM now and afaict she hasn't eaten or drunk a thing, and shows
no interest in going out. She ate, and went out twice this morning
before she arrived, but that was 10 hours ago.

Last visit, just last week, once when she heard the door open or shut,
she was at the door and trying to get through my legs to get out.
She'd been walked and I had to leave right away, so I ended up picking
her up by her collar and turning her to face into the house, so I
could escape. She didn't seem angry at me for this, at the time or
when I got home, and she was ready to go out when I was taking her to
the car. But this time I call her, and she doesn't even come to eat.
It's dry food but I would think she could smell it, even when she is
upstairs. After all, I can smell it when I"m pouring it out, in the
kitchen0 So I go upstairs and show her the leash, so there is no
question about what I have in mind.

She'll walk to the top of the stairs, and she used to follow me down
the stairs, but not tonight. When I stood behind her and said Go, she
wouldn't move**. So I went first and she used to follow me, but now
she stood there for a while and then went back to my office where she
spends all her time on the floor.

**That's also been getting worse over the years. IIRC, she would walk
to the stairs and start down. Then she paused at the top, and I would
have to say Go. Then I would have to say Go three times, and now I
can say go over and over and over and she won't go.

This time I was especially in a hurry for her to go out (although it
has been 10 hours since she arrived and she used to be willing to go
out any time I was willing, like every 4 hours.) because a tree fell
on my fence last month, and I haven't had time to repair it well. I
repaired it poorly today, and wanted to see if she would try to make a
break for it at the damaged fence, and if she could knock it down.

Could all of my problems be caused because 2 or 3 years ago, I
replaced the last missing pickets and now I only walk her on a leash
every 2 to 4 days. The rest of the time, I just open the door and let
her do what she wants. I do that about 5 times a day, maybe every 4
hours or so. I was hoping she would claw at the door or bark when she
was ready to come back in. I didn't want to open the door looking for
her, because I thought she would think that meant she HAD to come back
in. At least once she played in the back yard when she was out there,
but I can't see my side yard or even my little front yard, and now
when I open the door she's always there waiting to come in, even after
only 5 minutes.

Her family gives me a couple toys to play with with her or for her to
play with alone, a rope, a tennis ball, a rubber bone, but she's never
been interested in these things at my house. So that doesn't bother
me except that now it looks like the start of some autistic trend at
my house.

She used to get a doggy treat after going out, but they decided she
was over weight, and now I'm supposed to give her salad. In the two
visits last year, sometimes I didn't have any, but I thought she went
out mostly because she had to.

She has to take a Bufferin twice a day, and 2 pills for arthritis
twice a day. I've just mixed them in with the food, and until last
week, she just gobbled it all down. And last week they forgot the
pills so that was not why she wouldn't eat the food.

It was one thing for her to go a day and a half without eating,
butthey won't be back for 4 1/2 days this time.

Help, please.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Old July 23rd 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,alt.animals.dogs,alt.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.misc
~shady angel~

mm wrote:
[...]

Maybee it's just her geting old, getting up and down stairs can be
difficuilt for a big dog with arthritis.
How old is she? Are the owners consistint with your routine? When she want's
to keep walking try letter her, if you can and see how far she'll go make
sure not to over do it though. H
--
~shady angel~

Old July 24th 07, 10:20 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,alt.animals.dogs,alt.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.misc
Oxymel of Squill

She's a golden retriever, so when she drinks, it's usually almost a
bowelful.

wonderful phrase! Did you mean bowlfull or really a bowel-full?
:-)
either way, it seems enough