Update - melamine in Natural Balance - more products pulled

Old April 18th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
buglady

Default Update - melamine in Natural Balance - more products pulled

USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...t-food-recalle
d_N.htm
But Natural Balance doesn’t use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated
with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was in
a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. “That was the only change in the
product,” he says.

Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

There is no rice protein concentrate listed on the bag of dry NB dog food.
There IS ground rice though (At least there wasn't last weekend - reports
are they may have changed it on the web.) . And there's that 6 month lag in
changing labeling after the forumla is changed. There is NO rice in the dry
cat food. When they described their catfood they said Whole pea, but in the
ingredients it said pea. Pea powder is available.

One word of caution. South Africa has been having problems with their pet
food also. They had antifreeze contamination of Woolworth brand dry food in
Feb-March. (But you know, from what I read they had to test the food twice
to find antifreeze. Now I wonder if it didn't have melamine also.) A
number of days ago Royal Canin pulled their large breed Puppy formula due to
vomiting and kidney problems. I think they have now pulled all their
products but don't remember.

There is NO wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate (read same as gluten)
in the large breed puppy formula. Instead there is corn gluten. I'm hoping
in a couple of days they'll have a report on the food. My guess is they'll
find melamine.

So all I can say is buyer beware. Gluten gluten who's got the gluten. Call
your company. Find out; where their products come from. Ask them if
they've had a formula change lately. Demand they get on the ball and quit
changing food without changing the label. Meanwhile go buy a book on how to
prepare your own pet food. At this rate it will come in handy.

way beyond disgust......
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 18th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Tara

"buglady" wrote in
nk.net:

USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...mium-pet-food-

[...]

Me too.

May I forward this to other groups?

Tara
Old April 18th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
buglady

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
May I forward this to other groups?

............sure. If you want the current poop go to www.itchmo.com or
www.petconnection or www.howl911 The VIN site has been updating also and
apparently is trying to keep current.

Disgustingly the Natural BAlance people have changed their ingredients on
their website to reflect that's really in the food. People have archived
what it used to be at petconx and what it is now. This is really starting
to p*ss me off. Where are the pet food companies who don't take advantage
of this 6 month loophole lag? Where? And I don't even feed their cr*p.
Everybody who feeds commercial foods needs to speak up. Call your food
company. Ask for a current list of ingredients. Ask if they've been
neutered or if they still have some decency left in them.

I found out that the 1 dog who died in S. Africa did have antifreeze in his
system. BUT they are testing for more stuff that might cause kidney
failure. If they find melamine I can only hope that those German labs can
nail the unknown down for us.