What are you feeding your dogs?

Old April 20th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default What are you feeding your dogs?

I'd like to know what different folks are feeding, and why. I'm asking in
case I or anyone else reading this might need new options in the near
future.

Roxy has just started Canidae All Life Stages. I felt good about it, until
the rice protein concentrate scare. Even though I know this is not an
ingredient, the fact that it has rice at all leaves me with a nagging worry
in the back of my mind.

She was on Wellness, but her poops were ginormous. Prior to that, all my
animals got Nutro. For years and years. The cats were on Nutro wet. We
really got lucky there. Now the cats are on Innova Evo (wet and dry). So
speaking of cats, if you've got 'em and feel like saying what you are
feeding them, you might help someone in the future.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
Old April 20th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lars Eighner

In our last episode, , the
lovely and talented Lynne broadcast on rec.pets.dogs.health:

I'd like to know what different folks are feeding, and why. I'm asking in
case I or anyone else reading this might need new options in the near
future.

Pedigree --- pretty much on the so-far-so-good theory, not from any
particular faith in Mars.

--
Lars Eighner http://larseighner.com/ http://myspace.com/larseighner
Countdown: 640 days to go.
Old April 20th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Lynne wrote:
I'd like to know what different folks are feeding, and why. I'm asking in
case I or anyone else reading this might need new options in the near
future.

I've got working dogs, so the first thing I look for is
macronutrient balance. The second thing I look for is
ingredients (for digestibility and palatability). The third
thing I look for is micronutrients. I tend to prefer
organic, just because I like to support sustainable
agricultural practices. I only feed kibbles. I also prefer
feeds that are available locally and from locally-owned
shops.

So far, none of the specific feeds I've used in the last few
years has been affected by the recall. They a Eukanuba
Premium Performance, Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken
Formula, Blue Buffalo chicken, Canidae, Evo, California
Natural (both the chicken formula and the lamb formula).
When the dogs go back to work in late summer I'll be giving
Annamaet Ultra a try, now that it's finally available here.
For the time being I'm sticking with Eagle Pack. I think
they're relatively trustworthy, but it's really, really hard
to know and it's just a gut feeling.

Old April 20th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

I'd like to know what different folks are feeding, and why. I'm asking in
case I or anyone else reading this might need new options in the near
future.

Maui is currently eating Flint River Ranch (FRR), the lamb formula. For the
first year and a half of his life, Maui had been eating Purina Pro Plan
Chicken (puppy then adult). I switched him when I began to research foods
and ingredients more and after reading a dog health and nutrition for
dummies book. I first switched him to CA Natural lamb and rice which helped
with his ears (which are no longer red, itchy, "yeasty" and overall yucky)
but it gave him frequent gas problems. So he went to the FRR food and I am
happy with it so far. He's had it for about 2 months now.

Cali is eating the Eagle Pack Power Formula (high based and high in calories
to bulk her up). She had been on Diamond food when I got her from the
breeder. That was recalled so I threw it away and switched her to Purina
Pro Plan chicken (puppy) since that was the brand Maui was eating at the
time. She also got the adult formula when she hit a year old. She was
switched to CA NAtural with Maui and did ok on it, no bad gas that I could
tell. However, when I had to switch Maui to FRR, I decided to make it
easier and have Cali on it too. She went through some stomach issues
recently and ended up on a bland diet for about a month but now she is
eating the Eagle Pack Power Formula to bulk her up a bit. She is not a big
fan of the Eagle Pack and tries to steal Maui's FRR. Maui given the chance
would rather eat the EP but he doesn't need the bulk and chicken makes his
ears bad. I am currently fighting with Cali about food but that's a whole
other post.

Old April 21st 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

We went through a number of foods before settling on Eagle Pack fish
formula.

With Erwin, (dog #1) we started with Nutro Large Breed Puppy (dry). Didn't
want to mess too much with the diet while he was on puppy food, so we stuck
with that for quite a while. Noticed some intermittent doggy dandruff, and
stinky ears, so we decided to play around a bit with his diet.

Tried Eukanuba Hypoallergenic from the vet. Didn't like it. Huge poops, low
energy, didn't help the ears or the dandruff.
Tried Wellness, low energy, he just wasn't himself on it.
Tried Nutro's newer large breed dog formula, no help with the dandruff, ears
we're better.
Finally tried Eagle fish. Ears are good, energy level is good, dandruff is
pretty much non existent (this was more an issue for me than him, as he's a
black dog, so white flecks really look bad)

Dempsey, we got from the shelter. They had him on Nutram Senior. I disliked
that, so we switched him to nutro large breed senior for a while. Then when
Erwin was doing so well on Eagle, we switched to Eagle Senior. Then he was
having lots of gas, so we tried switching to a food without chicken as the
primary protein source (leading us to Eagle Fish Formula). Helped with the
gas for a while, but it seems to be coming back. More to the point though,
its really perked up his energy level.

Dale

m...

Old April 21st 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
[...]

=====================
Natural Choice Lamb and Rice Dry Food
and Pedigree Chunky Beef canned food

Old April 21st 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
flick

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
I'd like to know what different folks are feeding, and why. I'm asking in
case I or anyone else reading this might need new options in the near
future.

Roxy has just started Canidae All Life Stages. I felt good about it,
until
the rice protein concentrate scare. Even though I know this is not an
ingredient, the fact that it has rice at all leaves me with a nagging
worry
in the back of my mind.

She was on Wellness, but her poops were ginormous. Prior to that, all my
animals got Nutro. For years and years. The cats were on Nutro wet. We
really got lucky there. Now the cats are on Innova Evo (wet and dry). So
speaking of cats, if you've got 'em and feel like saying what you are
feeding them, you might help someone in the future.

I feed ours the cheapest brand available at the feed store. The name
varies. They do well on it, and so far (knock on wood) no melamine or other
problems.

flick 100785

Old April 21st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"flick" wrote ...
I feed ours the cheapest brand available at the feed store. The name
varies. They do well on it, and so far (knock on wood) no melamine or
other problems.

flick 100785

Before people start jumping down your throat, can I make a suggestion?

Try feeding them a high quality food for a month to 6 weeks. I personally
would be very curious to know the results.

The problem with saying 'they do good on it' is you don't really have any
objective standard to judge it against.

My neighbour, who loves her dog dearly has a similar approach to feeding her
dog. We looked after him for about 3 weeks last summer when she went over to
visit her daughter (who had just had a baby). While we had him, we fed him
what and when we feed our guys. It was amazing to see the difference it made
for him. It was also amazing to see how much more he enjoyed his food.
Rather than leaving it in the bowl all day for the birds to steal (he's an
outdoor boy), he made sure he finished every last scrap of it.

If it doesn't make a difference, then at least you can say "I tried a
premium food, and didn't see any difference".

My feeling is, the dogs are part of the family. If it costs me $60/month to
feed them ($1/meal), that's a darn site less than it costs to feed anyone
else in the house.

Dale

Old April 21st 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
flick

"Dale Atkin" wrote in message

"flick" wrote ...
[...]

Is "they do good on it" correct grammar?

I don't care if people jump down my throat for it. They're welcome to prove
they'd provide a better home and offer to adopt one or two, if they want to.
Or provide the high-dollar food, and I'll feed it.

We cannot afford to quadruple (or more) the dog food bill.* Of course, they
are worth it - if I was convinced that a "premium" food was betterng. Any
home test would be too subjective, unless there was something demonstrably
wrong with the dogs, and solved by the new food.

As we all know, dogs will eat things that aren't good for them, even
poisonous. If they really like a different food and wolf it down, that
doesn't necessarily mean it's *better for them.* Unless, of course, you've
got a dog it's hard to keep enough weight on. In that case, a primary
concern would be that the dog eats enough, period.

Some dogs have issues with an allergy in one food, or dicey digestion etc.,
and so are switched to something they tolerate better. We have not had
those types of problems.

They also get some leftovers a couple times a week, and hardboiled eggs once
or twice a week.

* You might suggest that we not have so many dogs, and thus be able to pay a
lot more for dog food. Three are unadoptables from when I was a humane
volunteer; I kept them, rather than allow them to live out their lives in
outdoor 6 x 10 kennels. Another one was dumped in the country, and nobody
wanted him either. Here they live indoors and get a lot of attention,
regular vet care - and low-cost dog food. I think it's a fair exchange.
They don't appear to be suffering. YMMV.

flick 100785

Old April 21st 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article NTqWh.13156$VF5.817@edtnps82,
Dale Atkin wrote:
The problem with saying 'they do good on it' is you don't really have any
objective standard to judge it against.

For a lot (most?) people doing well enough is enough.