A Khan Update

Old April 30th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

Default A Khan Update

Some of you have been following along with Khan's saga - urinary
incontinence, poor skin/coat condition, dilute urine, etc.

Khan was scheduled for an abdominal ultrasound on Friday. They called to
say that they had a cancellation, and could we move to Monday. Sooner being
better than later, we agreed, and spent a better part of this morning at the
internist's office.

I wasn't crazy about the internist's bedside manner; it wasn't anything she
did really, just that she wasn't very personable. She was very good with
Khan however, and *very* thorough about his history; we spent about 45
minutes on just his medical history. The ultrasound took as long; I'm
guessing it took them a good 15 or 20 minutes to shave patches on his belly.
Here were the findings:

Based on just looking at him, and especially his tail, which has had a huge
amount of hair loss, she said she suspected a hormonal issue. The
ultrasound revealed that he has "beautiful" (yes, it's a quote) internal
organs, including "gorgeous" kidneys. Pancreas, liver, prostate, heart,
etc. look great. He has a HUGE spleen. This was an expensive way to find
out, but apparently, GSDs and mixes thereof have spleens up to 33% bigger
than other dogs. The only abnormal finding was that both his adrenal glands
are pushing the envelope on size; instead of 7mm, they were between 7 and 8
mm.

On the basis of this, we're pursuing the Cushing's angle. He is most
definitely not classic Cushings, but it is the leading candidate right now.
So on Wednesday, we do more urinalisys for urine Cortisol. He's been giving
me dirty looks when I walk around behind him, tupperware in hand; he's going
to stop peeing in front of me altogether if I keep this up much longer. If
that comes back normal, we'll send out for a Tennessee panel; Cushings is
generally Cortisol mediated, but it could be sex hormone mediated, and
that's what we'll be looking for.

Oh, and I am to dig around for any records regarding his neuter, done 6
years ago at a shelter (good luck to me). She said that there is a
miniscule possibility that he had a retained testicle although nothing is
spotted in his ultrasound, and that's what is creating the problems,
although that really is quite a reach.

Stay tuned for updates.

Suja

Old April 30th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Suja" wrote in message
The
ultrasound revealed that he has "beautiful" (yes, it's a quote) internal
organs, including "gorgeous" kidneys. Pancreas, liver, prostate, heart,
etc. look great. He has a HUGE spleen. This was an expensive way to find
out, but apparently, GSDs and mixes thereof have spleens up to 33% bigger
than other dogs. The only abnormal finding was that both his adrenal

glands
are pushing the envelope on size; instead of 7mm, they were between 7 and

8
mm.

On the basis of this, we're pursuing the Cushing's angle.

........huh, so the endocrinologist (from months ago) was right! Wonder if
he really needs those thyroid meds?

And hide that dish behind your back.......take the treats with you.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old May 1st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Suja wrote:

On the basis of this, we're pursuing the Cushing's angle. He is most
definitely not classic Cushings, but it is the leading candidate right now.

I hope you find an answer. It's difficult when the dog (cat,
person) doesn't follow the normal pattern of symptoms. I have
two dogs right now with odd-ball problems.

So on Wednesday, we do more urinalisys for urine Cortisol. He's been giving
me dirty looks when I walk around behind him, tupperware in hand; he's going
to stop peeing in front of me altogether if I keep this up much longer.

ROFL! That's Hubster and Oppie. Oppie feigns a pee, then runs
to the next bush while Hubster chases him with container in hand.
Looks back at him "What are you DOing???" I HAVE to get this
on video. It helps that we've been trying to get the first pee
of the day, so that puts Hubster in his pajamas, and because the
route that many of the local walkers use runs alongside our
house, it makes for some interesting mornings!

(When I'm doing the dirty duty, I put him on a leash and walk him
20' down the sidewalk to the local pee-mail exchange juniper,
which almost guarantees a deposit.)

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old May 1st 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

Suja wrote:

So on Wednesday, we do more urinalisys for urine Cortisol. He's been giving
me dirty looks when I walk around behind him, tupperware in hand; he's going
to stop peeing in front of me altogether if I keep this up much longer.

Heh. I have used teeny vials from the vet, but at home, a plastic beer
cup works well. Helps to have dogs who pee on command and don't lift!
They may think I'm odd, but never seem to think it's awful.

--
Janet Boss
Old May 1st 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"buglady" wrote in message:

.......huh, so the endocrinologist (from months ago) was right! Wonder if
he really needs those thyroid meds?

He's staying on them for now. We'll decide what to do if in fact he turns
out to have Cushing's.

Suja

Old May 1st 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"FurPaw" wrote in message:

I hope you find an answer. It's difficult when the dog (cat,
person) doesn't follow the normal pattern of symptoms. I have
two dogs right now with odd-ball problems.

Tell me about it. I have a friend who has a perplexing array of problems
herself. Either she's got one overarching issue, or she's got a bunch of
small problems; the running joke is that she's going to self destruct one of
these days.

She got a kick out of my telling her that we have to test Khan's urine for
Cortisol. She recently had some test done that required that she store all
her pee for an entire day (in the refrigerator of course), and she was kinda
hoping that I'd have to do the same with Khan's.

ROFL! That's Hubster and Oppie. Oppie feigns a pee, then runs
to the next bush while Hubster chases him with container in hand.

Ordinarily, Khan doesn't care. In my infinite wisdom, I got Rajesh
involved, and he made such a ruckus (mind you, I got fed up and did it
myself, and he was just a very loud spectator at that point) that I think it
freaked Khan out a bit.

Suja

Old May 1st 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Janet Boss" wrote in message:

Helps to have dogs who pee on command and don't lift!

Khan pees on command and lifts, but first pee in the morning is on the lawn,
and not up against something. It isn't hard to collect from him normally.

They may think I'm odd, but never seem to think it's awful.

At this point, we've been collecting from him sufficiently frequently that
he's suspicious. Rajesh doesn't help at all. The one time he tried to
collect, he made such a big production out of it that Khan's now a little
weary. I'm never making that mistake again.

Suja

Old May 1st 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Rajesh doesn't help at all. The one time he tried to
collect, he made such a big production out of it that Khan's now a little
weary. I'm never making that mistake again.

Yep - it's just one of those things that is best done by you! Poor Khan
- all of this must be difficult, for both of you!

--
Janet Boss
Old May 1st 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
ceb

"Suja" wrote in
:

On the basis of this, we're pursuing the Cushing's angle. He is most
definitely not classic Cushings, but it is the leading candidate right
now.

Suja, I hope you get answers soon. I think so-called "subclinical"
syndromes can be very troubling and baffling, but I'm glad your vet is
pursuing this angle and hopefully will be able to treat.

Stress hormones can get out of whack so easily -- the same thing happens
with people if they have too much early childhood stress, or in older
people with traumatic stress and PTSD -- the "fight or flight" response
just remains on hyper-alert, and it takes very little to trigger it.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old May 1st 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Janet Boss" wrote in message:

Yep - it's just one of those things that is best done by you!

I'm not a morning person, and he is. So I assumed, incorrectly as it turned
out, that he could take care of it while I snoozed. First, he said we
didn't have any tupperware. I pointed him in the right direction. Then, he
*washed* the already washed tupperware, and I yelled down to him when I
heard the water running in the sink that it defeats the whole purpose of the
test to introduce water ourselves. Then, I could hear him walk around
behind Khan, saying stuff like 'You can't pee yet, I'm not ready' or 'Not on
the bush, not on the bush'. At this point, I hopped out of bed, marched
outside, grabbed the container, just walked next to Khan (with his ever so
helpful 'You're gonna miss it!' and 'Khan man, is mommy being mean to you?')
until he decided to pee, and stuck the container under him.

Poor Khan
- all of this must be difficult, for both of you!

Thankfully, he's a very good boy who normally gives absolutely no trouble.
The internist was all compliments yesterday. She said that she doesn't
ordinarily say this, but he behaved so absolutely beautifully that he
deserved all the cookies he wanted to eat.

Suja

Khan is a... Suja Dog behavior 10 November 28th 06 03:59 PM
Khan is a GOOD boy Suja Dog behavior 15 July 2nd 04 09:48 PM
Khan is a GOOD boy Suja Dog behavior 0 July 2nd 04 04:35 PM
Khan is a GOOD boy Suja Dog behavior 0 July 2nd 04 04:35 PM
Khan is a GOOD boy Suja Dog behavior 0 July 2nd 04 04:35 PM