Schnoodle (ear question)

Old May 5th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Doogie

Default Schnoodle (ear question)

Hi,
We've owned a Schnoodle for the last four or five months and I have a
question. Our vet told us that the hair in the dog's ear can cause
him ear infections if not regularly dealt with. He also told us that
using a trimmer on the ear won't be good because the hair can fall
back into the ear and also cause an ear infection. He said the only
real option is to pull the hair out by hand.

I watched my wife do this the other day and it looks painful for the
dog (obviously). So I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with a
Schnoodle has any suggestions on another way to get the hair out of
his ears.

Old May 5th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Doogie wrote:

Hi,
We've owned a Schnoodle for the last four or five months and I have a
question. Our vet told us that the hair in the dog's ear can cause
him ear infections if not regularly dealt with. He also told us that
using a trimmer on the ear won't be good because the hair can fall
back into the ear and also cause an ear infection. He said the only
real option is to pull the hair out by hand.

I watched my wife do this the other day and it looks painful for the
dog (obviously). So I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with a
Schnoodle has any suggestions on another way to get the hair out of
his ears.

He'll get used to it. Unless there's active inflammation present in the
ear canal the hair pulling/tweezing is more uncomfortable/undignified
than actually painful.

If the need for this sort of intervention seems unnatural it's because
it is. Poodles, and by extension, many of the various "Oodle" crosses
are subject to an abnormal growth of hair in the ear canal, an
incidental side effect of the genes creating the dense, curly coat. The
extra hair traps wax and moisture, predisposing the dog to ear infections.

I've worked on poodles who actually seemed to enjoy the procedure...

"Ooh yeas... Ah. Much better. And now ze soothing drops, if you
please, and ze ear massage."

Old May 5th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Judy

"Kathleen" wrote in message
If the need for this sort of intervention seems unnatural it's because it
is. Poodles, and by extension, many of the various "Oodle" crosses are
subject to an abnormal growth of hair in the ear canal, an incidental side
effect of the genes creating the dense, curly coat. The extra hair traps
wax and moisture, predisposing the dog to ear infections.

Huh. The same problem exists with miniature schnauzers. Which would
clearly make it almost certain for any combination of the breeds.

Our miniature schnauzers get their ears plucked about every three weeks - or
roughly at their six week groomings and then halfway between. They don't
like being made to lie down to have it done but the actually pulling of the
hair doesn't bother them. Well, that's true of the ones deep down in the
ear. Once you get to the hairs further out - where you actually *could*
clip or trim them - there seem to be more nerves there. I would say there
aren't any nerves for pain deeper in.

If this is a problem with poodles, I wonder if the miniature schnauzers
inherited it when the standard schnauzer was bred down in size by the
introduction of poodles (among other breeds)?

I haven't ever asked if standard schnauzers need this ear hair pulling done.

The problem of infections within the ear can happen with any drop eared
dog - our beagles were always prone to it. We'd make sure their ears were
clean but never plucked hairs.

Our schnauzers have cropped ears - so no explanation via the drop ear
theory - but one of them in particular would definitely have recurrent
infections if we didn't stay vigilant.

Judy