Food czar says don't worry about safety of pet food...

Old May 5th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

Default Food czar says don't worry about safety of pet food...

..........and I think he's got around 20,000,000 chickens to eat, so he'd
better start chewing. The disconnects in what he says here is ridiculous.
Pet food recall closed? Oh really? Where did that second shipment of RCP
go? Huh?

http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds....ory_id=2908427
May 05, 05:09 AM
By Jonathan D. Rockoff, The Baltimore Sun
May 5--WASHINGTON -- Federal investigators believe they have now traced all
of the sources of contaminated food supplies from China, according to the
nation's new food safety czar, who said yesterday that the U.S. government
needs to move in new directions to protect food supplies.
[..]
Acheson, who was named this week to the newly created post of assistant FDA
commissioner for food protection, said investigators have made significant
progress in tracing the tainted ingredient from China that is believed to
have killed cats and dogs in this country and entered other animal feed
products.

He said that Americans should not worry about serving pet food to their dogs
and cats.
[..]
Acheson said the search for the pet food contaminant is "virtually closed"
and investigators have a "very good handle" on its distribution. Government
officials say the threat to humans is extremely low.
[..]
"Right now, we inspect 1 percent of food imports. If we were to inspect 2
percent, would that problem go away? I don't think so," he said.
[,,]

Old May 5th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

"Acheson, who was named this week to the newly created post of assistant FDA
commissioner for food protection, said investigators have made significant
progress in tracing the tainted ingredient from China that is believed to
have killed cats and dogs in this country and entered other animal feed
products.

He said that Americans should not worry about serving pet food to their dogs
and cats."

Assistant FDA Commissioner for CORPORATE Protection, maybe.

Old May 5th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

buglady wrote about a man who epitomizes the art of contradicting
oneself:

Acheson said the search for the pet food contaminant is "virtually closed"
and investigators have a "very good handle" on its distribution. Government
officials say the threat to humans is extremely low.
[..]
"Right now, we inspect 1 percent of food imports. If we were to inspect 2
percent, would that problem go away? I don't think so," he said.
[,,]

Boggle!

If "Americans shouldn't fear eating imported foods," then why has
Acheson "begun developing new plans for protecting the nation's
food supply from contamination, either through commercial
transactions or terrorist acts"?

Another political appointee whose credentials derive from where
he has been positioning his nose.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old May 5th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lilah Morgan

So nice that they just refuse to be flat out honest, and instead act like
everything's ok while they try to figure out how they can find a way to make
it not look like they've screwed us over. I can understand not wanting
people to panic and have people doing stupid things because of it, but do
they want a few people to get poisoned to stop everyone from panicking? I'm
worried about the situation, but I'm not gonna panic. Won't do any good.

Old May 5th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

buglady wrote:
.........and I think he's got around 20,000,000 chickens to eat, so he'd
better start chewing. The disconnects in what he says here is ridiculous.
Pet food recall closed? Oh really? Where did that second shipment of RCP
go? Huh?

http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds....ory_id=2908427
May 05, 05:09 AM
By Jonathan D. Rockoff, The Baltimore Sun
May 5--WASHINGTON -- Federal investigators believe they have now traced all
of the sources of contaminated food supplies from China, according to the
nation's new food safety czar, who said yesterday that the U.S. government
needs to move in new directions to protect food supplies.

Sumbitch! This link was just taken down! I went there to
extract a quote and a tinyurl to send to a friend, got it, and
when I returned to the window, the link came up blank! (Yes, I
double-checked and even tried a different browser.)

For the moment, it's still available he
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/hea...,6717023.story
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yowskj

FurPaw

Old May 5th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

. ..

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/hea...,0,6717023.sto
ry
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yowskj

........those always seem to disappear. I don't know if everything at that
site is temporal or if you have to clear cache or something. I guess a good
lesson to look for the real article.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old May 5th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"buglady" wrote in message
nk.net...

....good golly miss molly, I guess for some reason the FDA is worried about
antifreeze being substituted for glycerine coming from China as they issued
a warning yesterday: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01628.html
......Notice the numbers of dead the FDA quotes compared to the article
below.

This NY Times article is a fascinating long look at how biz is conducted in
China and how their govt passes the problem from one dept to another, all
saying, we have no jurisdiction. There will never be satisfaction on this
pet food issue from China.

http://freeinternetpress.com/story.php?sid=11643

Old May 5th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lilah Morgan

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...
This NY Times article is a fascinating long look at how biz is conducted

in
China and how their govt passes the problem from one dept to another, all
saying, we have no jurisdiction.

Sounds alot like here. I guess bureaucracies are the same everywhere. Even
if it's not government. Trying to get something sorted out from the phone
company or our satellite provider or the bank or the power company, list
goes on and on, is pretty much the same. Keep getting the runaround, or you
get told something from someone, and think the problem is fixed, and then
it's not, you call back, and the person you get this time says "Well you
didn't talk to me!"(had this happen a few times). Wasn't even the supervisor
saying that, was someone with the same 'rank' in the company as the person
originally talked to.

Old May 6th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Sounds alot like here.

Sounds a lot like my 3 children. "Nuh-uh. Not me. I didn't do it."

Old May 6th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

buglady wrote:
"buglady" wrote in message
nk.net...

...good golly miss molly, I guess for some reason the FDA is worried about
antifreeze being substituted for glycerine coming from China as they issued
a warning yesterday: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01628.html
.....Notice the numbers of dead the FDA quotes compared to the article
below.

This NY Times article is a fascinating long look at how biz is conducted in
China and how their govt passes the problem from one dept to another, all
saying, we have no jurisdiction. There will never be satisfaction on this
pet food issue from China.

http://freeinternetpress.com/story.php?sid=11643

That diethylene glycol that the Chinese supplier "substituted"
was subsequently used in manufacturing drug preparations, like
cough syrup, killing thousands in several places across the world
- including China itself.

The FDA shouldn't just casually mention this one - it should be
headline news!

-- Suzanne Hu has more in her Daily Kos article on the subject.
She wonders if bogus "glycerin" (which is also sometimes a pet
food ingredient) might have contributed to the crises.

Oh, f**k! Google on glycerin dog food or glycerin cat food
or glycerin pet food and a whole bunch of brands turn up!

Hu also mentions that the melamine pet food contaminant is "a
known waste product of melamine monomer production where the
waste water is crystallized before being released." (the quote is
from Abby Kelleyite).
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/5/5/14203/07866

Industrial waste, not even high-quality melamine!

-- And then we have the issue of China being the major supplier
of the world's vitamins ... was that mentioned here? I can't
keep track of what I've read where...
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3accpe

FurPaw