Another reason to get those lumps (properly) checked...

Old May 12th 07, 05:23 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

Default Another reason to get those lumps (properly) checked...

The other day at the clinic I'm volunteering at, an 8 year old beagle
(Tracy) came in. She'd been to her regular vet several months prior with a
golf ball sized lump.
Her vet looked at it, felt it, and pronounced it harmless. Since then, she
had a litter of puppies (now 12 weeks old), at which point the lump started
to grow.

The owner drove 3+ hours to the vet he used to go to (the clinic I'm
volunteering at) for a second opinion. We looked at it, and had her in to
surgery that afternoon. Opened her up to find an ovary, grown to ~3 lbs, and
300+mL of fluid in her abdomen.

Tracy is doing much better today, and hopefully has a little longer to live
as a result of the surgery (although long term outlook isn't great)

Here are a few pictures for those of you who are more visual...

Tumor on the scale
http://www.ibycus.com/nntppics/tracy1.jpg

Tumor (left ovary), uterus, and right ovary.
http://www.ibycus.com/nntppics/tracy2.jpg

Close up of tumor.
http://www.ibycus.com/nntppics/tracy3.jpg

Dale

Old May 12th 07, 06:31 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

The owner drove 3+ hours to the vet he used to go to (the clinic I'm
volunteering at) for a second opinion. We looked at it, and had her in to
surgery that afternoon. Opened her up to find an ovary, grown to ~3 lbs,
and 300+mL of fluid in her abdomen.

Tracy is doing much better today, and hopefully has a little longer to
live as a result of the surgery (although long term outlook isn't great)

Here are a few pictures for those of you who are more visual...

Tumor on the scale
http://www.ibycus.com/nntppics/tracy1.jpg

Tumor (left ovary), uterus, and right ovary.
http://www.ibycus.com/nntppics/tracy2.jpg

Close up of tumor.
http://www.ibycus.com/nntppics/tracy3.jpg

those are some really gross pictures. I hope Tracy has a speedy recovery
and is able to pull thru.

Old May 12th 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Dale Atkin wrote:
[...]

Holy cow. Poor Tracy!

Was the golfball-sized lump a separate tumor or was it part of the
abdominal mass?

Old May 13th 07, 02:51 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"Kathleen" wrote in message

Holy cow. Poor Tracy!

Was the golfball-sized lump a separate tumor or was it part of the
abdominal mass?

As far as we can tell, the golfball sized lump grew in to that mass once she
got pregnant and had a litter of puppies (potentially the hormonal changes
that go along with pregnancy triggered it to grow). I find it amazing she
could find some where to put the puppies *and* that big ugly mass all in her
abdomen. When she came in, before the owner said anything, we figured she
was pregnant.

Dale

Old May 13th 07, 02:58 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
those are some really gross pictures. I hope Tracy has a speedy recovery
and is able to pull thru.

We heard from the owners on Friday. Tracy seems to be feeling quite a bit
better since they got home. Unfortunately, the tumor had started to involve
one of the kidneys, a large part of the omentum as well as several lymph
nodes.

The vet who did the surgery didn't think there was any chance she could get
all of the tumor, so the hope is that this bought her some time, and
hopefully improved the quality of the time she has left.

Dale

Old May 13th 07, 05:27 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

By all means....

I'll make sure I check the account a little more
carefully while I wait for your message.

Dale

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Dale Atkin" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:
[]

Hi Dale,

Do you mind if I email you privately? Nothing to do with this
thread.

Old May 13th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Reply from fairly perceptive DVM hubby... "Holy Cow..." We see spleens with
tumors as such, but not usually ovaries.

--
*There are no accidents in life*
"Dale Atkin" wrote in message
[...]

Lumps under dog's fur meeohmi Dog health 2 March 19th 06 04:02 AM
Dachshund Lumps H S Dog health 1 August 18th 05 11:40 AM
Help, my Border Terrier won't eat properly Fresh Air Rider Dog health 0 January 19th 05 07:41 PM
Lumps after shots Jean Staffen Dog health 4 March 10th 04 04:57 PM
Lumps-Opinions alie Dog health 62 August 12th 03 07:33 PM