Economists talk about food, trade, and regulation

Old May 21st 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Economists talk about food, trade, and regulation

[]
Paul Krugman's column this morning talks about food safety,
trade, and regulation, and got a good discussion in an
economics blog at:
http://economistsview.typepad.com/ec...rugman_fe.html

Now, I realize that Paul Krugman pushes winger buttons, but
it is a fact that he's among the most respected economists
currently working and that his particular area of expertise
is trade theory, for which most other economists expect that
he'll eventually receive a Nobel in economics (he's already
received the John Bates Clark Medal). The blog author is a
liberal academic macroeconomist but the commenters come from
across the political spectrum. I regret having to explain
all this but one of the most unfortunate political
developments in the past 15 years or so has been the nearly
complete personalization of politics leading to the
unwillingness of far too many people on the right to listen
to information coming from those they disagree with,
regardless of the track record or the stature of the
speaker/writer.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion, with the comments
arguably more interesting than the column.

Old May 21st 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Melinda Shore wrote:
[]
[...]

Very interesting article - he articulated so well much of what
has been rattling around in my head lately.

Speaking of the comments, one pointed to this link:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yfk6l
"Pollution and the excessive use of chemicals in foodstuffs are
sending cancer rates soaring in China, where it is already the
number one killer, state press said Monday."

Not surprisingly, China is developing is own industry-based
cancer clusters.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old May 22nd 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:
Not surprisingly, China is developing is own industry-based
cancer clusters.

A few months back the NY Times had a pretty interesting
article on what marathoners are doing to prepare for running
26.2 miles in hot weather breathing foul, disgusting, toxic
air.

BTW, Max Sawicky, another economist who blogs, had a much
more sarcastic take on the regulatory question. Max is not
a trade guy but rather a tax policy expert, however, and so
I expect it was inevitable that he'd be sarcastic and kind
of bitter: "Globalization Killed My Doggie"
http://maxspeak.org/mt/archives/003072.html

Old May 22nd 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Melinda Shore wrote:
A few months back the NY Times had a pretty interesting
article on what marathoners are doing to prepare for running
26.2 miles in hot weather breathing foul, disgusting, toxic
air.

Duh - in the Beijing Olympics. Sorry to make it look like I
was rambling off-topic even more than usual.

Old May 23rd 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
Not being one to follow the whereabouts of the Olympics, I *was* kinda
wondering about that. heh

..........the Chinese are planning on shooting off a cannon - being sure that
will make it rain - to wash away the smog for their Olympic guests. No, I'm
not kidding. But then they enjoy melamine in their cakes, so different
strokes for different folks I guess. ;-(

buglady
take out the dog before replying

More on FDA & what's broken in food regulation FurPaw Dog health 3 May 1st 07 06:41 PM
let's talk treats! Judith Althouse Dog behavior 11 March 22nd 07 01:51 PM
If dogs could talk... Handsome Jack Morrison Dog behavior 2 August 1st 06 04:29 AM
looking to talk to colin Dog breeds 0 March 8th 05 05:52 AM
on topic - Car Talk Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 0 October 23rd 04 10:39 PM