Cyanuric acid in Iams dry dog food????

Old May 24th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

Default Cyanuric acid in Iams dry dog food????

Itchmo has a toxicology report of cyanuric acid found in Iams dry dog food.
But it was an opened bag. He's asking people to search for same lot number
and get an unopened bag for testing. By now a bag is probably on the way,
but still......

So......all we've been hearing about is melamine. Melamine was assumed to
be the marker for contamination. I don't know how the FDA has been
conducting tests - just melamine, then look for other stuff, or run a full
battery of tests on any food sample??? Since the FDA has suspended press
conferences on the *pet food issue*, there's no one to ask.

http://www.itchmo.com/read/lab-repor...od_20070524#co
mments

Old May 25th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

buglady wrote:
Itchmo has a toxicology report of cyanuric acid found in Iams dry dog food.
But it was an opened bag. He's asking people to search for same lot number
and get an unopened bag for testing. By now a bag is probably on the way,
but still......

http://www.itchmo.com/read/lab-repor...od_20070524#co
mments

I gotta wonder... for how long might the contamination been
happening before anyone put 2 and 2 together?

Oppie was eating Iams Large Dog kibble last summer and fall. In
early October we noticed him drinking excessive water - up to 13
cups per day. At that time it never occurred to us that it could
be something that he was eating. Sometime late last fall he
switched to a Nutro Max kibble (groan) because the pet food store
was out of the Iams, and then to Canidae in late March, and his
water intake is back to normal.

Of course I don't have any records of food lots or dates, nothing
other than the dates we started getting him tested at the vet.
After we noticed the increased water consumption and low urine
specific gravity, he was given tests for a bunch of potential
causes of this, none of which turned up anything unusual - except
for that pesky urine low specific gravity.

Other things did happen during that time. He developed high
blood pressure. The retina atrophied in one eye (cause not
diagnosed, maybe due to elevated BP?). He developed a neuropathy
and laryngeal paralysis and slightly low thyroid.

Are any of these things related to his Iams diet? Was the food
he was eating last fall contaminated? I have no friggin' idea.

FurPaw
--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.

More MenuFoods recall or a repeat?, Iams offers free food buglady Dog health 0 April 18th 07 03:48 PM
IAMS food dangerous? Lurkio Dog breeds 0 March 18th 07 01:05 PM
Acid Reflux in Dogs DaveR Dog behavior 0 February 15th 06 09:49 PM
Acid Reflux in Dogs DaveR Dog health 3 February 15th 06 03:05 PM
Iams Dog food online source ? mcldanl Dogs - general 0 August 7th 03 01:39 AM