Adding Fiber to help Anal Glands?

Old May 29th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default Adding Fiber to help Anal Glands?

What is a good (aka safe and tasty to the dog) fiber source to add to a
dog's diet to help with the anal glands? Cali's (mini poodle) need to be
expressed more often than I'd like and a few websites I read of the topic
mention adding more fiber to the dogs diet to make the stool bulkier. I
thought I might as well give it a try but am not sure which fiber source
would be a good place to start. Also, did anyone ever try this and did it
help any with the anal glands? THANKS!

Old May 29th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread : "MauiJNP"
whittled the following words:

What is a good (aka safe and tasty to the dog) fiber source to add
to a
dog's diet to help with the anal glands? Cali's (mini poodle) need to
be expressed more often than I'd like and a few websites I read of the
topic mention adding more fiber to the dogs diet to make the stool
bulkier. I thought I might as well give it a try but am not sure
which fiber source would be a good place to start. Also, did anyone
ever try this and did it help any with the anal glands? THANKS!

When you have to add things to a diet, (and yes, sometimes fiber does
assist in anal gland clearance) you probably should change diets to a
properly formulated diet with the necessary amounts of fiber. A lot of
diets remove the fibers (aka grains) so they can boast of a grain-free diet
as a marketing ploy. but the glitch is, it's often not complete or
nutritionally balanced. But the labels read good.
Old May 30th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

[...]

Cali is currently eating Flint River Ranch Lamb and Rice Millet. It has a
4% max for fiber. She picks out the Eagle Pack Power Formula that is
supposed to help her put on some weight (she spits it out). I was going to
try some Evo or something possibly to help her put on the weight since she
doesn't eat the Eagle Pack. I see the Evo has less than 2% fiber. Innova
has 3% fiber. Cal Nat has 4.5%. Wellness seems to have about 3%. Eukanuba
has about 3% too. Are other foods higher in fiber than these or is this
typical? What is considered high?

Old May 30th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 30 May 2007 02:28:04 GMT, "MauiJNP" wrote:

Cali is currently eating Flint River Ranch Lamb and Rice Millet. It
has a 4% max for fiber. She picks out the Eagle Pack Power Formula
that is supposed to help her put on some weight (she spits it out). I
was going to try some Evo or something possibly to help her put on the
weight since she doesn't eat the Eagle Pack. I see the Evo has less
than 2% fiber. Innova has 3% fiber. Cal Nat has 4.5%. Wellness
seems to have about 3%. Eukanuba has about 3% too. Are other foods
higher in fiber than these or is this typical? What is considered
high?

I'm surprised Wellness is only 3% fiber. Roxy's poops were GIGANTIC on
that stuff. Or is it something other than fiber which creates bulky
stools?

FWIW she is eating Canidae All Life Stages now (4.0% max crude fiber) and
her poops are nice and compact again. She's also doing very, very well on
it and appears to LOVE the stuff.

--
Lynne
Old May 30th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

MauiJNP wrote:

What is a good (aka safe and tasty to the dog) fiber source to add to a
dog's diet to help with the anal glands? Cali's (mini poodle) need to be
expressed more often than I'd like and a few websites I read of the topic
mention adding more fiber to the dogs diet to make the stool bulkier. I
thought I might as well give it a try but am not sure which fiber source
would be a good place to start. Also, did anyone ever try this and did it
help any with the anal glands? THANKS!

You could add a spoonful or two of canned pumpkin puree (not the
premixed pumpkin pie filling) or some green beans to their kibble. Mine
get veggies every evening, usually whatever the rest of the family is
having, unless it's too spicy, greasy or onion-y.

Old May 31st 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

What is a good (aka safe and tasty to the dog) fiber source to add to
a dog's diet to help with the anal glands? Cali's (mini poodle) need to
be expressed more often than I'd like and a few websites I read of the
topic mention adding more fiber to the dogs diet to make the stool
bulkier. I thought I might as well give it a try but am not sure which
fiber source would be a good place to start. Also, did anyone ever try
this and did it help any with the anal glands? THANKS!

You could add a spoonful or two of canned pumpkin puree (not the premixed
pumpkin pie filling) or some green beans to their kibble. Mine get
veggies every evening, usually whatever the rest of the family is having,
unless it's too spicy, greasy or onion-y.

Cali doesn't like pumpkin, she's a brat. She is just not a very big eater.
Only eats when she really has to (wish I was like that). As for veggies, I
can do that, she does eat most of them.

Old May 31st 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Cali doesn't like pumpkin, she's a brat. She is just not a very big
eater. Only eats when she really has to (wish I was like that). As for
veggies, I can do that, she does eat most of them.

Carrots - whole or shredded. You can also see if your cet sells fiber
biscuits (treats).

BTW, going to the Outer Banks again this year? I think last year we crossed
paths.

Old May 31st 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nicki Sinclair

My dog loves raw organic baby
carrots and raw organic
cauliflower. She spits out and
refuses commercial produce.
Works great for her....and
tidy to eat.

Nicki

Old May 31st 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Cali doesn't like pumpkin, she's a brat. She is just not a very big
eater. Only eats when she really has to (wish I was like that). As for
veggies, I can do that, she does eat most of them.

Carrots - whole or shredded. You can also see if your cet sells fiber
biscuits (treats).

sounds good, thanks!

BTW, going to the Outer Banks again this year?

Probably not

I have to take 2 weeks off of work to go out of state to deal with grad
school stuff so I will probably not be able to take another week off this
summer to go to the Outer Banks. There is still a chance, just not a big
one so I will still hold out hope. And if I don't get down this year, next
year I'll have to go for 2 weeks instead of one to make up for it

I think last year we crossed paths.

Yes, I think we did. We were down the August 5th (? or whatever the
Saturday was) and then stuck around about 5 days. We planned on staying a
week but then decided we wanted to stop at Virginia Beach for a few days to
visit an old favorite of ours.

Old May 31st 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

cauliflower.

I don't think Cali ever got this. I LOVE it so I don't think I ever shared
with her. I'll have to give her some and see if she shares my tastes for it
though.

anal glands Nicki Sinclair Dog health 1 April 10th 07 12:40 AM
anal glands mike Dog health 7 January 25th 06 03:41 AM
anal glands kimberlycards Dog health 2 September 25th 03 10:19 AM