Oxalate crystals in urine

Old May 29th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathy

Default Oxalate crystals in urine

Hello,
I am new hear and would like different opinions on this health issue.
My dog has oxalate crystals in her urine. There is no blood, but at
this time the vet is not ruling out stones. Her only symptom was
leaking urine. She eats good, runs, and plays. She is a 8 year old
spayed female. Her treatment as of this time is adding Potassium
Citrate plus Cranberry Granules to her food, this product is made by
Pala Tech. I have to take in another urine sample tomorrow to see if
the crystals are gone. If it comes to changing her diet I have told my
vet I do not want any prescription foods from Hills. As of now she is
eating Eagle Pack Holistic, (chicken). She was also getting Missing
Link, and she was also getting PetzLife Oral care at the time the
crystals were found. I have stopped the Missing Link and the Petzlife.
I thought maybe one of these were the cause of the crystals. Eagle
Packs nutritionist said I may have been over supplementing, and to
change over to their Anchovy food once the crystals have been taken
care. I would like some input on this issue. I guess my questions a
1. Could giving the Missing Link, Petzlife, and Eagle Pack cause the
crystals?
2. Could giving the Missing Link with the dog food without adding
water cause too much fiber and not enough moisture?
3. What would be a good food to feed?
Thanks
Kathy

Old May 30th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"Kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Since your dog has "oxalate crystals" - which I presume are calcium
oxalate - the best thing to do is tell your vet exactly what you've been
feeding her and supplementing her with, and the quantities of each. IMO
this is a time when you don't want too many cooks to have their hand in, if
you know what I mean.

Kidney stones in people are commonly (though not always) calcium oxalate.
If I were you, I'd keep up with the strategies prescribed by my vet. Kidney
stones can be quite serious.

flick 100785

Max's Urine Clear of Crystals! Marshall Dermer Dog health 10 March 1st 04 01:26 PM
Urinary Crystals Stephen Rabinowitz Dog health 10 October 14th 03 05:00 PM
Urinary Crystals Stephen Rabinowitz Dog health 0 October 13th 03 08:55 PM
Struvite Crystals Ebthtr Dog health 0 July 16th 03 02:43 AM
Struvite Crystals Ebthtr Dog health 3 July 16th 03 12:41 AM