Ear Tip Flies

Old May 31st 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Joe Johnston

Default Ear Tip Flies

The stiff erect external ears of my Chow mix seem to leave her more
susceptible to biting flies (they look like ordinary houseflies) than my
other seven dogs, none of whom have this problem. The last inch of
her ears have skin damage and partial hair loss. What can I put on
her ears to protect them ?

It needs to be something with an odor and taste the other dogs will
consider unpleasant .

Joe

Old May 31st 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nicki Sinclair

I use to have this problem and
at the time I owned horses so
I used fly spray every day. It
worked well

Nicki

Old May 31st 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Joe Johnston

"Nicki Sinclair" wrote in message
t...
I use to have this problem and
at the time I owned horses so
I used fly spray every day. It
worked well

Nicki

Thanks for your reply. By "fly spray" do you mean a fly repellant
spray, or an insecticide approved for contact with dog skin ?

Joe

Old May 31st 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:52:07 -0500, "Joe Johnston"
wrote:

"Nicki Sinclair" wrote in message
et...
I use to have this problem and
at the time I owned horses so
I used fly spray every day. It
worked well

Nicki

Thanks for your reply. By "fly spray" do you mean a fly repellant
spray, or an insecticide approved for contact with dog skin ?

Farnam makes a goop that you can apply to areas such as ear tips on
dogs. It's called Flysaway and is similar to the product they make
for the same use on horses. We used it with success on a Siberian
Husky that came to us with flybitten ears.

Mustang Sally

Old May 31st 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Joe Johnston

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message

Farnam makes a goop that you can apply to areas such as ear tips on
dogs. It's called Flysaway and is similar to the product they make
for the same use on horses. We used it with success on a Siberian
Husky that came to us with flybitten ears.

Mustang Sally

Thanks for the info.

Joe

Old May 31st 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
It's called Flysaway and is similar to the product they make
for the same use on horses. We used it with success on a Siberian
Husky that came to us with flybitten ears.

Hey! Me too!! Do you have my dog?

Old May 31st 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Quite frankly, I wish I did right now. Mukluk is an only husky, which
he hasn't been (here, at least) for 9 years, and he misses his Queen.
Very lonely.

Honestly, I miss her and I never even met her. She sounded
like a hell of a dog.

On the subject of Mukluk, we apparently will have no Siberian
coat-blowing last year. We had to shave him down because of a
persistent staph infection, and although he looks beautiful and fluffy
and feels nice and soft, and was plenty warm for the winter, he
doesn't really have an undercoat. It's odd, like a genetically
re-engineered husky or something.

Hmmmmm.

Old May 31st 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

Farnam makes a goop that you can apply to areas such as ear tips on
dogs. It's called Flysaway and is similar to the product they make
for the same use on horses. We used it with success on a Siberian
Husky that came to us with flybitten ears.

The flies are always bothering Khan's pointy-uppy ears on our hikes, but
leave Pan's floppy ears alone. I've been using Avon Skin So Soft or a home
made potion of rosemary/lemon. Both are reasonably effective, but don't
last day hikes.

Where do you find Flysaway? Feedstore? And, is the 'goop' messy to
apply/clean-up? What with Khan's allergy to water, I don't want to try to
wash his ears every time we go hiking.

Suja

Old June 1st 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
bethgsd

"Suja" wrote in message

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

Farnam makes a goop that you can apply to areas such as ear tips on
dogs. It's called Flysaway and is similar to the product they make
for the same use on horses. We used it with success on a Siberian
Husky that came to us with flybitten ears.

The flies are always bothering Khan's pointy-uppy ears on our hikes, but
leave Pan's floppy ears alone. I've been using Avon Skin So Soft or a
home
made potion of rosemary/lemon. Both are reasonably effective, but don't
last day hikes.

Where do you find Flysaway? Feedstore? And, is the 'goop' messy to
apply/clean-up? What with Khan's allergy to water, I don't want to try to
wash his ears every time we go hiking.

Suja

You just have to accept that your big macho dog will have bunny pink ears.
Seriously, though, you can get Flysaway or Swat at the feedstore, tackshop,
Southern States.

Beth