Vaginal bleeding after spay

Old June 16th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Early Spring

Default Vaginal bleeding after spay

Our new 1-2 year old dog adopted from the SPCA was spayed 11 days ago,
she was in a major heat at the time but they decided to spay her
anyway. I had no say, I didn't even know she was in heat, I was to
adopt her after I brought her home. So, the SPCA dropped her off to
be spayed and I picked her up after her spay and brought her home.
She had the normal in heat blood which went away after 3 or 4 days and
the incision looks great, she was doing really well until 8 days after
her spay, in the evening she started having a milky blood discharge
from her vulva and there was an odour. We took her straight back to
the vet the next morning, and the vet didn't really even look her
over, just diagnosed an anti biotic. She's been taking it now since
last Thursday afternoon and the discharge hasn't slowed down, if
anything, it seems to have gotten a bit worse. It is less milky which
means the infection could be clearing.

I did a board search here and have found a few posts similar to mine
but no real updates or resolutions except one whose dog ended up have
liver failure which was causing her vaginal discharge.

The vet seemed totally perplexed, she said it didn't look like
peritonitis but didn't understand why she was bleeding because 'the
stump' usually doesn't do that. This is not my usual vet but one the
SPCA uses because they give the SPCA a deal, can't blame them for
using this vet.

Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.

Old June 16th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Early Spring wrote:

Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.

I don't know anything about the condition, but I'd be inclined to
take her to a vet you know and trust. And monitor her
temperature - if it goes above 102 (I think), and especially if
she's acting lethargic or refusing to eat, I'd consider taking
her to an emergency vet. Those would be signs of infection.

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old June 17th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Early Spring

On Jun 16, 3:57 pm, FurPaw wrote:
Early Spring wrote:
Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.

I don't know anything about the condition, but I'd be inclined to
take her to a vet you know and trust. And monitor her
temperature - if it goes above 102 (I think), and especially if
she's acting lethargic or refusing to eat, I'd consider taking
her to an emergency vet. Those would be signs of infection.

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Hi, FurPaw. How do you monitor a dog's temp? She's active as can be
and is eating really well. We are pretty sure she has an infection
already because the blood seems like it has puss in it. I'm hoping
the Clavamox clears the infection and if she doesn't appear to have
less discharge on Monday I will take her back it. If she continues to
stay so active and healthy looking, otherwise I will call the emerg.
vet number.

Old June 17th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Early Spring wrote:
On Jun 16, 3:57 pm, FurPaw wrote:

Early Spring wrote:

Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.

I don't know anything about the condition, but I'd be inclined to
take her to a vet you know and trust. And monitor her
temperature - if it goes above 102 (I think), and especially if
she's acting lethargic or refusing to eat, I'd consider taking
her to an emergency vet. Those would be signs of infection.

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Hi, FurPaw. How do you monitor a dog's temp? snip

You monitor your dog's temperature by taking her temperature. Use a
rectal thermometer positioned in the appropriate orifice for the
recommended time span (varies between analog and digital models).

Old June 17th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Kathleen wrote:
Early Spring wrote:
On Jun 16, 3:57 pm, FurPaw wrote:

Early Spring wrote:

Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.

I don't know anything about the condition, but I'd be inclined to
take her to a vet you know and trust. And monitor her
temperature - if it goes above 102 (I think), and especially if
she's acting lethargic or refusing to eat, I'd consider taking
her to an emergency vet. Those would be signs of infection.

Hi, FurPaw. How do you monitor a dog's temp? snip

You monitor your dog's temperature by taking her temperature. Use a
rectal thermometer positioned in the appropriate orifice for the
recommended time span (varies between analog and digital models).

Early Spring - put a little vaseline or KY-jelly on the
thermometer to lubricate it before you insert it in her rectum.

Have your dog lay down on her side, calm her until she is lying
quietly and not trying to get up (you could have someone feeding
her tidbits), and gently insert the thermometer about 1/2", and
gently hold it in place. It will probably take a couple of
minutes to level off. Digital thermometers usually will beep
when ready.

Take her temperature every few hours, just like you would for a
child who's sick.

FurPaw

Old June 17th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 17 Jun 2007 02:23:37 GMT, FurPaw wrote:

Take her temperature every few hours, just like you would for a
child who's sick.

I just got a new digital thermometer that is done in a few seconds. The
rub is that you have to have it positioned very quickly or you won't get an
accurate reading, but it sure makes it easier on the dog.

I write "Dog - Rectal" on my dog's thermometer with a Sharpie and store it
in the dog's drawer just so there's never a misunderstanding (ew).

--
Lynne
Old June 17th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Lynne wrote:

on Sun, 17 Jun 2007 02:23:37 GMT, FurPaw wrote:

Take her temperature every few hours, just like you would for a
child who's sick.

I just got a new digital thermometer that is done in a few seconds. The
rub is that you have to have it positioned very quickly or you won't get an
accurate reading, but it sure makes it easier on the dog.

I write "Dog - Rectal" on my dog's thermometer with a Sharpie and store it
in the dog's drawer just so there's never a misunderstanding (ew).

Jeeze!

Beverage warning, por favor.

Old June 17th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 17 Jun 2007 03:06:28 GMT, Kathleen
wrote:

Jeeze!

Beverage warning, por favor.

Hahaha. I mean, lo siento.

--
Lynne
Old June 17th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Early Spring

On Jun 16, 7:23 pm, FurPaw wrote:
Kathleen wrote:
Early Spring wrote:
On Jun 16, 3:57 pm, FurPaw wrote:

Early Spring wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the detailed description! Do the in the ear
thermometres work for dogs?

Old June 17th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Early Spring

On Jun 16, 7:30 pm, Lynne wrote:
on Sun, 17 Jun 2007 02:23:37 GMT, FurPaw wrote:

Take her temperature every few hours, just like you would for a
child who's sick.

I just got a new digital thermometer that is done in a few seconds. The
rub is that you have to have it positioned very quickly or you won't get an
accurate reading, but it sure makes it easier on the dog.

I write "Dog - Rectal" on my dog's thermometer with a Sharpie and store it
in the dog's drawer just so there's never a misunderstanding (ew).

--
Lynne

Cool, thanks Lynne. Good tips, ew indeed!

bleeding ear [email protected] Dog health 4 March 1st 07 04:05 PM
vaginal episioplasty Susan Dog health 0 November 24th 05 06:09 AM
vaginal discharge in female dog smruthi Dog health 6 June 27th 05 06:12 PM
Bleeding cover Dog health 0 February 7th 05 12:18 AM
Vaginal discharge after mating - help! mazsola Dog health 1 March 20th 04 12:59 PM