bow legged puppy - potential cause?

Old July 1st 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default bow legged puppy - potential cause?

Is there anything besides luxating patellas that would cause a 7 week old
puppy to be bow legged? This particular puppy is in rescue and is seeing a
vet Monday, but he is going in with his entire litter and we want to be
sure the vet covers all the possible bases despite the inevitable chaos.

Also, can luxating patellas be diagnosed or ruled out in a puppy this
young?

--
Lynne
Old July 1st 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 01 Jul 2007 02:32:11 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

Is there anything besides luxating patellas that would cause a 7 week
old puppy to be bow legged? This particular puppy is in rescue and is
seeing a vet Monday, but he is going in with his entire litter and we
want to be sure the vet covers all the possible bases despite the
inevitable chaos.

Also, can luxating patellas be diagnosed or ruled out in a puppy this
young?

forgot to mention, it's the pup's rear legs.

--
Lynne
Old July 2nd 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Lynne" wrote in message:

Is there anything besides luxating patellas that would cause a 7 week old
puppy to be bow legged?

In giant breed dogs, bow leggedness can be caused by growth issues, although
it's rarely seen in pups that young (the youngest I know of was 10 weeks
old, on large breed puppy formula, which is inappropriate for giant dogs).
I've seen some pups from the dog park that had funky structure (like being
knock kneed, or having the feet turn out) where some eventually resolved on
their own - mostly, the vets thought it was from being kept in really
confined areas and not given adequate care when young.

Suja

Old July 2nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:03:29 GMT, "Suja" wrote:

In giant breed dogs, bow leggedness can be caused by growth issues,
although it's rarely seen in pups that young (the youngest I know of
was 10 weeks old, on large breed puppy formula, which is inappropriate
for giant dogs). I've seen some pups from the dog park that had funky
structure (like being knock kneed, or having the feet turn out) where
some eventually resolved on their own - mostly, the vets thought it
was from being kept in really confined areas and not given adequate
care when young.

Interestingly, the little guy saw the vet today who declared his knees
perfect and his legs straight. So I wonder if it wasn't a nutritional
deficiency (this guy was the runt) combined with being grossly overweight.
This pup was snarfing down way more food than he should have and was
superfat, but he was fed seperately most of last week and slimmed down and
looks much better already. I'm so glad it wasn't his knees!

--
Lynne
Old July 2nd 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

"Suja" composed these thoughts and posted them
:

"Lynne" wrote in message:

Is there anything besides luxating patellas that would cause a 7 week
old puppy to be bow legged?

In giant breed dogs, bow leggedness can be caused by growth issues,
although it's rarely seen in pups that young (the youngest I know of
was 10 weeks old, on large breed puppy formula, which is inappropriate
for giant dogs). I've seen some pups from the dog park that had funky
structure (like being knock kneed, or having the feet turn out) where
some eventually resolved on their own - mostly, the vets thought it
was from being kept in really confined areas and not given adequate
care when young.

Suja

Suja, Lynne has me blocked. But I've seen bowlegged puppies in dogs with
juvenal renal failure and in pups with rickets (something you don't see
much anymore) So there can be several factors that can cause this. But my
guess is, there is an underlying condition, and it's not just a crooked
puppy as it appears on the surface.
Old July 3rd 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"diddy" wrote in message
. ..
"Suja" composed these thoughts and posted them
:

Suja, Lynne has me blocked. But I've seen bowlegged puppies in dogs with
juvenal renal failure and in pups with rickets (something you don't see
much anymore) So there can be several factors that can cause this. But my
guess is, there is an underlying condition, and it's not just a crooked
puppy as it appears on the surface.

I'm far from an expert on this, but maybe there could also be a congenital
pelvic problem that would cause it, in the rear legs.

flick 100785

Old July 3rd 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 23:28:56 GMT, "Many Dogs \(flick\)"
wrote:

I'm far from an expert on this, but maybe there could also be a
congenital pelvic problem that would cause it, in the rear legs.

on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:06:17 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

Interestingly, the little guy saw the vet today who declared his knees
perfect and his legs straight. So I wonder if it wasn't a nutritional
deficiency...

If it was a nutritional issue while he was still the runt (Calcium/vitD
deficiency), and it was corrected after he started (over)eating, that might
explain it, no? I also think the heft he was carrying around for about a
week or so was just too much for his little legs.

At any rate, the vet saw absolutely no problem today, and he checked him
out very carefully.

--
Lynne