Anesthetic costs

Old July 1st 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Peetie Wheatstraw

Default Anesthetic costs

My 10-yr-old 27 lb (very healthy) dog had her teeth cleaned last
week. The vet bill:

hospitalization $ 9
ketamine/rompun iv anesthetic 58
clean/polish 43
bloodwork 40

Do the anesthetic costs (US $58) look reasonable? Ketamine is a
generic? Rompun is Bayer brand Xylazine.

I've no intention of disputing anything: just sizing up what the
next cleaning should cost. I guess the $58 includes setting up
a drip iv or somesuch.

Thanks,
Peetie
Old July 1st 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

My 10-yr-old 27 lb (very healthy) dog had her teeth cleaned last
week. The vet bill:

hospitalization $ 9
ketamine/rompun iv anesthetic 58
clean/polish 43
bloodwork 40

Do the anesthetic costs (US $58) look reasonable? Ketamine is a
generic? Rompun is Bayer brand Xylazine.

I've no intention of disputing anything: just sizing up what the
next cleaning should cost. I guess the $58 includes setting up
a drip iv or somesuch.

Give her a raw femur bone instead and save yourself a bundle, plus the
anesthesia risk.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 1st 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Give her a raw femur bone instead and save yourself a bundle, plus the
anesthesia risk.

Sometimes the dog really, really does need to have its teeth
cleaned and a chewie isn't going to take care of the
problem. I tend to trust my vet on this, although I do
expect them to show me what the problem is. You're right
that there's a risk from the anesthesia and that it
shouldn't be done casually, but sometimes it's the right
thing to do.

The costs seemed reasonable to me.

Old July 1st 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Janet Boss wrote:

In article ,
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

My 10-yr-old 27 lb (very healthy) dog had her teeth cleaned last
week. The vet bill:

hospitalization $ 9
ketamine/rompun iv anesthetic 58
clean/polish 43
bloodwork 40

Do the anesthetic costs (US $58) look reasonable? Ketamine is a
generic? Rompun is Bayer brand Xylazine.

I've no intention of disputing anything: just sizing up what the
next cleaning should cost. I guess the $58 includes setting up
a drip iv or somesuch.

Give her a raw femur bone instead and save yourself a bundle, plus the
anesthesia risk.

I don't, not any more. The BCs, aged 6 and 7, show extreme wear on
their teeth due to their previous twice-weekly bone habit. I no longer
feed marrow bones. Instead they get raw, semi-defrosted turkey necks
and dried cow puffs. The cow puffs are the inner/middle portion of the
ear; they sorta sit down in the side of the skull. They look a lot like
a cinabon, minus the icing. Low fat, and they do a good job of scraping
the scrunge off of their teeth without much risk of tooth breakage.

Old July 2nd 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:

I don't, not any more. The BCs, aged 6 and 7, show extreme wear on
their teeth due to their previous twice-weekly bone habit. I no longer
feed marrow bones. Instead they get raw, semi-defrosted turkey necks
and dried cow puffs. The cow puffs are the inner/middle portion of the
ear; they sorta sit down in the side of the skull. They look a lot like
a cinabon, minus the icing. Low fat, and they do a good job of scraping
the scrunge off of their teeth without much risk of tooth breakage.

Raw has enzymes, which are good. I don't give cooked bones and not
often. Twice a week is a lot!

--
Janet Boss
Old July 2nd 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Janet Boss wrote:

None of my current dogs have ever had a teeth cleaning, and unless
something weird happens, never will. They are 2, 7 (well on the 10th
and 14th!) and 10.5.

Dogs, like humans, vary in their oral health. Gordo and Chile
were litter mates. Gordo produced tartar in copious amounts, and
started showing signs of gum disease when he was 5 or 6. He
required an annual cleaning, despite having lots of chewies,
nylabones and greenies. He had most of his teeth extracted when
he was 12 and the remainder when he was 13. Chile didn't need to
have her teeth cleaned until she was 12 (per annual vet checks),
but her teeth and gums started to deteriorate after that.

Had I understood about raw bones then what I understand now, I
would have given them raw bones.

FurPaw
--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 2nd 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
My 10-yr-old 27 lb (very healthy) dog had her teeth cleaned last
week. The vet bill:

hospitalization $ 9
ketamine/rompun iv anesthetic 58
clean/polish 43
bloodwork 40

Do the anesthetic costs (US $58) look reasonable? Ketamine is a
generic? Rompun is Bayer brand Xylazine.

I've no intention of disputing anything: just sizing up what the
next cleaning should cost. I guess the $58 includes setting up
a drip iv or somesuch.

One data point: One local vet is advertising a teeth cleaning
special this month for $200. Her normal fee is $250. (I don't
know the breakdown.)

FurPaw

Old July 2nd 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message

My 10-yr-old 27 lb (very healthy) dog had her teeth cleaned last
week. The vet bill:

hospitalization $ 9
ketamine/rompun iv anesthetic 58
clean/polish 43
bloodwork 40

Do the anesthetic costs (US $58) look reasonable? Ketamine is a
generic? Rompun is Bayer brand Xylazine.

I've no intention of disputing anything: just sizing up what the
next cleaning should cost. I guess the $58 includes setting up
a drip iv or somesuch.

Thanks,
Peetie

==============
Wow, that seems very inexpensive to have your dog's teeth cleaned. I think
you got a bargain. I was under the impression it was going to cost hundreds,
and I was glad I had insurance. They told me a year ago, I would most
likely have to have that done in another year, but I just took her to the
vet last week for her 3 year Rabies,
3 year Distemper, Leptospirosis Vaccination, Lyme Disease Booster, Combo
4dx Heartworm test and Kennel cough Nasal 6 month spray, fecal test and exam
last week, and when they looked at her teeth this time, they told me her
teeth had much improved over the previous year. I guess last time her teeth
were in the Classification 2/ Moderate Gingivitis category and this time her
teeth were in the Classification 1, Mild Gingivitis. They asked me what I
had been doing, and the only thing different I have been doing for the past
8 months is give her two Nutro Tarter Control dog biscuits a day plus one
beef rawhide chewie. Her teeth are now white and the most of the tartar is
gone, except for her two canine teeth, which she does not use to chew. I do
not want her to go under anesthesia to have her teeth cleaned, so I am
thrilled that what I have been doing actually worked. Again, she did not
need her nails trimmed. Apparently, she must wear them down when I walk
her. The vet said her weight was perfect and that her coat was shiny and
healthy, so it turned out to be a good visit. But, I was shocked and very
pleased at the fact that her teeth were so much better than before.

Old July 2nd 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

Friday
is due for the removal of a sebaceous adenoma and I'll take
advantage of the GA to have his teeth cleaned at the same time.

Yup - if they're going to be under anyway, may as well get those back
teeth scraped and polished!

--
Janet Boss