Spaying and neutering of dogs (Health issues)

Old July 4th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

Default Spaying and neutering of dogs (Health issues)

I found an interesting and apparently well-researched paper on the

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

An excerpt from the paper, after a list of benefits and risks for males and
females, states:

"One thing is clear - much of the spay/neuter information that is available
to the public is unbalanced and contains claims that are exaggerated or
unsupported by evidence. Rather than helping to educate pet owners, much of
it has contributed to common misunderstandings about the health risks and
benefits associated of spay/neuter in dogs."

Some of the more severe risks of surgery are osteosarcoma, hypothyroid,
obesity, diabetes, hip dysplasia, and cranial cruciate ligament rupture.

I am not opposed to spaying and neutering, but I feel it should be
considered as an option with full knowledge of risk vs benefit. It should
be ones right to have an intact animal as long as it is kept responsibly,
and I have no objection to an increased license fee for this choice.

Paul and Muttley (rescued and neutered at 1.5, probable sire of 9 aborted
pups)