vaccines very six months is too much

Old July 8th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default vaccines very six months is too much

my dog just had all her vaccines six months ago,
and now the vet wants her to get parvovirus, bordetella,
and da2pl whatever that is.

So if I refuse, they will just just stop doing her nail trims.

I think they are just trying to milk me for $$$$$. Is there
real justification for doing this every six months???
Old July 9th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
bruce

On Jul 8, 1:46 pm, wrote:
my dog just had all her vaccines six months ago,
and now the vet wants her to get parvovirus, bordetella,
and da2pl whatever that is.

So if I refuse, they will just just stop doing her nail trims.

I think they are just trying to milk me for $$$$$. Is there
real justification for doing this every six months???

If that was the first time your dog had been vaccinated, or if this is
a second or third time and the previous times were done at less than
12 weeks of age, then no this is not overkill. The initial
vaccinations are done to build immunity of the animal's own, while
waiting for maternal immunity to wear off. Studies have put the
maternal immunity being lost anywhere from 6-16 weeks in most dogs,
with each dog being different. Thus, the normal regimen is repeated
vaccinations to prime the system. Again, if this is a young dog, then
they are just trying to prime the dog's immune system. Subsequent
vaccinations may only be required annually, biannually, or triennally,
depending on the vaccine and the veterinarian.

The Bordetella is for kennel cough, a very contagious bacterial
repiratory infection. The parvo is for a viral intestinal infection.
The DA2PL is for distemper virus (brain and central nervous system),
adenovirus type 2(liver, known as hepatitis), parainfluenza (viral
respiratory infection), and leptospirosis (bacterial kidney and blood
infection). These vaccines, along with rabies, are considered the
core (minimum) vaccines needed to protect your pet (and any others
such as in the clinic the same time for a nail trim) and to prevent
very costly medical intervention later in life.

Old July 9th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"bruce" wrote in message
ps.com...
The DA2PL is for distemper virus (brain and central nervous system),
adenovirus type 2(liver, known as hepatitis), parainfluenza (viral
respiratory infection), and leptospirosis (bacterial kidney and blood
infection). These vaccines, along with rabies, are considered the
core (minimum) vaccines needed to protect your pet

.........bruce, lepto is hardly a core vaccine and all the vets I know do NOT
recommend it, especially in combination with other vaccines, a scenario that
causes sometimes severe side effects.

........to the OP, get copies of your records and find out what vaccines were
given 6 months ago. If your dog is past the puppy stage and has had all the
rounds of puppy vaccinations, there's not even any reason to have any of
these yearly, much less 2X a year. Risk vs. benefit should be considered
individually - not only to how your dog reacts to the vaccines, but whether
or not there's a current parvo outbreak in your area. Most of these
vaccines (except for Bordetella) last longer than 3 years. After 2 yearly
rabies vax you only need them every 3 years. Of course local regulations
don't care about scientific facts, just people, as rabies is a hazard to
people and dogs/cats can be the vectors.

There's a list of links at this site WRT vaccinations you'll find helpful,
including the 2006 recommendations for vaccination schedule from the
American Animal Hospital ASsociation.
http://www.dogaware.com/misc.html#vaccination

buglady
take out the dog before replying