Dog Allergies in my family

Old December 11th 07, 04:20 PM
Jim Parker Jim Parker is offline
Junior Member

Question Dog Allergies in my family

We are considering getting a dog for x-mas this year. She is a yorkie-poo and apparently is a dog that does not shed and has a smaller amount of dander. We have three kids that have had asthma in their younger years but have not had any problems with it for at least five years now. I am allergic to dogs but I also grew up with a dog in my house as a teenager. My son and one of my daughters is allergic to dogs. My son had his face licked by a neighbors dog (a yorkie-poo) and his eye got swollen. I have done a considerable amount of reading on this but I am still not convinced that it may or may not work. Are we crazy to try and do this even though we know that the dog may not be able to stay? Does anyone have any similar stories or advice? Thanks for any help.
Old December 12th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Spot[_2_]

Default Dog Allergies in my family

Knowing that you have this many who are allergic I certainly wouldn't do it.
Also ALL dogs shed who ever told you this dog isn't going to shed is feeding
you a line of crap.

Celeste

--
Jim Parker

Old January 9th 08, 06:14 AM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker View Post
We are considering getting a dog for x-mas this year. She is a yorkie-poo and apparently is a dog that does not shed and has a smaller amount of dander. We have three kids that have had asthma in their younger years but have not had any problems with it for at least five years now. I am allergic to dogs but I also grew up with a dog in my house as a teenager. My son and one of my daughters is allergic to dogs. My son had his face licked by a neighbors dog (a yorkie-poo) and his eye got swollen. I have done a considerable amount of reading on this but I am still not convinced that it may or may not work. Are we crazy to try and do this even though we know that the dog may not be able to stay? Does anyone have any similar stories or advice? Thanks for any help.
Well there are a few things you can do.

1. Allergy shots- could be expensive for the whole family though unless insurance covers it.

2. Installing hepa filters all over the house, as well as having at least one dog free zone you can go to.

3. At least weekly baths. There are also allergy wipes you can use in between baths, but they don't work as well as an actual bath.

Basically, it will require a lot of work to keep your house allergy free, so make sure you are ready for the commitment. It is possible though if you are up to all that.

Hope I helped- good luck

Allergies AWilliamson Dog behavior 9 February 18th 07 07:46 PM
Allergies? Suja Dog health 3 December 27th 05 05:44 PM