Dogsledding Workshops

Old January 23rd 04, 04:11 AM
Len McDougall, Outdoor Writer

Default Dogsledding Workshops

Come Fly With Us!

If you liked the movie Snow Dogs, and thought that mushing a dog team
over deep snow in a pristine wilderness setting looked like a lot of
fun, boy have we got an adventure for you. In our dogsledding
workshop, you'll learn to harness, handle, and drive your own team of
Alaskan huskies through our three-quarter-mile course. With our
unique instructional class you'll learn:

* A short history about mushing from a dogsledding expert.
* The nomenclature and function of a dogsledding outfit.
* Commands for making a dog team work for you.
* Techniques for harnessing and handling working huskies.
* Operation of a dog sled.

Best of all, after you've gotten to know your team and have them
harnessed, you'll actually put your feet on the runners, and with a
shouted "Hike!" you'll be mushing through the snow-hushed wilderness
of Lake Superior State Forest. At the end of the first leg you'll be
met by one of our radio-equipped instructors, who will help you to
turn your team for the return trip.

The cost of this adventure is $75.00 per person. Reservations are
required at least 1 day in advance. Workshops typically run about 3
hours, depending on group size. Out of consideration for our
hard-working huskies, group sizes must be limited to no more than 5
people, and we reserve the right to cancel further workshops if the
well-being of the dogs requires that be done.

The instructors of Timberwolf Wilderness Adventures also reserve the
right to deny service to clients who are not dressed warmly enough for
weather conditions. Ambient temperatures in Paradise frequently dip
below -20 degrees Farenheit, and we want your experience with us to be
as much fun as it can be. Pac-boots, gloves or mittens, and a layered
outfit of fleece or wool are recommended. If you need help putting
together a warm dogsledding outfit, feel free to call us for advice.

Timberwolf Wilderness Adventures
13127 N. Whitefish Point Road, Paradise, MI 49768
Telephone: (906) 492-3905
E-mail:

Dogsledding not your thing? We also conduct snowshoe tours and winter
camping adventures.