WTB - WIRELESS INVISIBLE FENCE

Old February 3rd 04, 06:53 PM
K. Marie

Default WTB - WIRELESS INVISIBLE FENCE

Am in desperate need to containn 2 dogs on approx 1/2 acre.

Thanks!

Old February 3rd 04, 07:49 PM

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:53:56 -0500 K. Marie whittled these words:
Am in desperate need to containn 2 dogs on approx 1/2 acre.

Beyond being a really bad idea it isn't an appropriate post for this
group.

Diane Blackman
Old February 4th 04, 02:15 PM
KrisHur

I have to disagree there are several dogs on my street who have IF and are
perfectly fine and well contained.
A repost from the last time this was asked:

I don't have one but lots of my neighbors do; they are very satisfied and
their dogs are as happy today as ever. Some people vehemently dislike the
very idea of the shock and are very fervent in their attempts to persuade
public opinion against them. The neighbor's got one for their Golden. The
IF people installed the fence and put up white flags every few feet to mark
the boundary, trained her to turn around when she hears the beep and she's
been fine--as happy and bouncy today as ever and she's able to view the
surrounding areas, not a fence. And this is a dog w/no obedience training.

There are people who say they frequently see dogs at the shelter with the
collars on. I volunteered at a shelter for a several months and never
saw one come in with a collar--and there are a lot
of IFs in this area.

Then you have people who say it's no good b/c children and animals can still
come in. Although a conventional fence may be a deterrent, a child could
walk right up and open the gate. Unless you lock all the gates children can
still get in; only a stockade fence (with the posts and rail on the inside)
will keep determined children from climbing over. I have a fence and also
have all kinds of animals coming in. Squirrels, raccoons, turkey and
opossums climb the fence; skunks and rabbits dig under; chipmunks and mice
go right through. Not to mention that if the dog is a digger s/he may dig
under a regular fence. Another dog/coyote can dig under to get in.

I know 1 Malinois, 2 Goldens, 2 Labs and 2 Boxers and one recently
adopted Shepherd mix that have an IF and all of them are fine. My
neighbor's Golden will chase deer right to the line but stop every time--and
her owners loosened her collar to where it hangs like a necklace. The
Boxers, Labs and Malinois are very territorial and will run up and down
the line barking their heads off (not good as they are practicing and
reinforcing
aggressive behaviors) but have never crossed the line. I'd have one
but fenced my property when we installed the pool. There is one person on
the street who's dog is always out, but when I pick him up he's not wearing
his
collar and the owner says he bolts out the door and takes off. When he has
his
collar on he stays in the yard

Be sure not to leave the dog outside for extended periods of time, *boredom
and neglect* are one of the most seen reasons dogs try to break
through (chasing wildlife also gets some dogs to break through). Also if the
collar is left on for long periods of time it can rub the skin raw. It's
only supposed to be on the dog when they are going outside and taken off
once they come back in.

This type of fence is really for those dogs who can be trained to stay on
their territory--Labs being a perfect example. As the IF guy told my
neighbor when she had hers put in,
"There's a Golden on the truck for a reason." Northern breed dogs
have a very strong instinct to wander so they are not particularly well
suited
to the IF and neither are the scent or sighthounds who can get caught up in
chasing prey and run right through it.

Be sure buy from a reputable company and have it professionally installed. A
woman posted a few months back pictures of chemical burns her dog got from
leaky batteries on a Radio Shack IF. This is not something to cheap out on
or a do-it-yourself project.

--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT