Intellectual games for Danes?

Old June 15th 04, 09:01 PM
White Monkey

Default Intellectual games for Danes?

OK, so 16-week-old Saskia's brain is growing as fast as the rest of her.
Get-the-Treat-out-From-Under-the-Tupperware is rapidly becoming too easy.
Chase-the-Cat is the Forbidden Game (mainly by the cat). Ant Stomping is not
always available, likewise Chase-the Butterfly. We can't just train and
treat ALL the time. So she's looking around, exploring stuff, and getting
told "leave it" a fair bit, in search of mental stimulation. Even Squeaker
Toy cannot always satisfy. What are some (primarily indoor) games people
play with bored intellectual Danes (or other very smart dogs) desperately in
search of brain teasers? If she was just any puppy we could just roll a ball
back and forth all day or play tug-of-war for hours, but she's a Dane, and
a very smart one at that. There needs to be an element of real thought
involved to keep her interested.

Thanks,
Katrina

---

Old June 15th 04, 09:22 PM
Victoria Neff

When I had a very smart Pembroke Corgi puppy, one thing I used to do to
entertain her was tie a rope in knots around the leg of the chair I was
sitting in, and let her untie it. It was a soft nylon rope (bought by the
foot at the hardware store). I would tie many knots, and she would bounce
around, yanking on it, until it was untied and ready to be retied.....

I didn't play "find it" so much when she was a puppy, but as an adult....
Hide a toy when they can't see you, and then let them find it..... Sit on
it, put it behind the pillow you are leaning on, etc. At first it probably
can't be completely hidden, but later......

Enjoy.
Old June 15th 04, 10:24 PM
White Monkey

"Victoria Neff" wrote in message
When I had a very smart Pembroke Corgi puppy, one thing I used to do to
entertain her was tie a rope in knots around the leg of the chair I was
sitting in, and let her untie it. It was a soft nylon rope (bought by the
foot at the hardware store). I would tie many knots, and she would bounce
around, yanking on it, until it was untied and ready to be retied.....

I didn't play "find it" so much when she was a puppy, but as an adult....
Hide a toy when they can't see you, and then let them find it..... Sit on
it, put it behind the pillow you are leaning on, etc. At first it

probably
can't be completely hidden, but later......

Enjoy.

Thanks! We're still working on "get" and "find" commands, but I just tried
the knots idea, and she just pulled a lot instead of trying to untie it but
that's OK for a first time, and did keep her occupied. I'll set it up again
ion the morning (nearly 11:30 here, getting on puppy bedtime).

Thanks again!

Any further suggestions welcome!

On the Danes group I've had the "find" game suggested, along with playing
with a laser pointer.

--Katrina

---

Old June 16th 04, 12:23 AM
Gus Gassmann

Victoria Neff wrote:

When I had a very smart Pembroke Corgi puppy, one thing I used to do to
entertain her was tie a rope in knots around the leg of the chair I was
sitting in, and let her untie it. It was a soft nylon rope (bought by the
foot at the hardware store). I would tie many knots, and she would bounce
around, yanking on it, until it was untied and ready to be retied.....

I didn't play "find it" so much when she was a puppy, but as an adult....
Hide a toy when they can't see you, and then let them find it..... Sit on
it, put it behind the pillow you are leaning on, etc. At first it probably
can't be completely hidden, but later......

I combine the "find it" game with a little obedience training. I put
Natasha in a down-stay in the kitchen, then go upstairs to hide her kong.
She is to remain down until I come back and give the "find it" command.
When she comes back with the kong, I sometimes stuff it with a milkbone
(the medium size fits exactly and compelety) and let her dig it out.
Or I'll let her look for me. Currently I am working on distinguishing
different toys, but after reading about the border collie with the
200-word vocabulary, I am a little discouraged...

Old June 16th 04, 11:22 AM
White Monkey

I combine the "find it" game with a little obedience training. I put
Natasha in a down-stay in the kitchen, then go upstairs to hide her kong.
She is to remain down until I come back and give the "find it" command.
When she comes back with the kong, I sometimes stuff it with a milkbone
(the medium size fits exactly and compelety) and let her dig it out.
Or I'll let her look for me. Currently I am working on distinguishing
different toys, but after reading about the border collie with the
200-word vocabulary, I am a little discouraged...

Thanks! We're working on "get", "find" and "bring", as well as object names,
but she hasn't got it down quite fully yet. I can't hide from her because
this is a Dutch house, and on each floor there's really only one place I
could possibly be if she can't see me. Luckily, she enjoys the learning
process itself... today we've been playing with her sitting in front of
three toys, and I say, "Where's your ball? Where's your squeaker? Where's
your rope?" etc., and praise her up for picking the right one (often, at
this stage, with hints). She really seems to be enjoying it.
--Katrina

---

games to play at fun day? CSarge2 Dog breeds 5 April 5th 04 12:15 AM
Olympic Games Rene Dog activities 0 August 10th 03 12:40 AM
Mental Exercise games for Border Collies dratti Dog breeds 7 August 4th 03 07:34 PM