Pescadero, CA Herding Ranch Dog Trial

Old July 19th 04, 10:54 AM

Default Pescadero, CA Herding Ranch Dog Trial

This weekend we were at Willowside Ranch in Pescadero at a Herding Ranch
Dog trial. These trials are a bit different as they involve some
creativity in course design. It is not the same pattern each time. We
missed a Q on Saturday by running out of time. We made our Q on Sunday.

http://dog-play.com/Activities/Herding/hrd1_3.html

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old July 19th 04, 10:56 PM
Melissa S. Frye

wrote in message ...
This weekend we were at Willowside Ranch in Pescadero at a Herding Ranch
Dog trial. These trials are a bit different as they involve some
creativity in course design. It is not the same pattern each time. We
missed a Q on Saturday by running out of time. We made our Q on Sunday.

Congrats! Must have been interestng to handle..

--
Melissa S. Frye
Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/

Old July 20th 04, 04:48 AM

In rec.pets.dogs.activities Melissa S. Frye wrote:
wrote in message ...
This weekend we were at Willowside Ranch in Pescadero at a Herding Ranch
Dog trial. These trials are a bit different as they involve some
creativity in course design. It is not the same pattern each time. We
missed a Q on Saturday by running out of time. We made our Q on Sunday.

Congrats! Must have been interestng to handle..

Thanks - it was interestng. ONe thing I've just been thinking about is
how different my perception is while on an agility course vs herding.
Typically with agility I can pretty much replay the entire course in my
mind, even if I got lost. Most of my herding courses go by in a blur,
even the very short ones.

Having watched several dogs that really lacked enthusiasm I'd much rather
have the challenges I do. Timing was interesting too. I'm not very good
at just sepctating. So usually I don't watch more than a couple entire
runs. But since I had to be ther I paid attention. The arena trial I
risked getting distracted, But with the ranch style the judge, and
therefore timer needs to move so we never sat down. And then occasionaly
handler error would cause the sheep to end u racing back into the arena we
were judging/timing from. AT that point you have to not look at the sheep
and not look at the dog otherwise you become part of it.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old July 21st 04, 04:44 AM
Melissa S. Frye

But with the ranch style the judge, and
therefore timer needs to move so we never sat down. And then occasionaly
handler error would cause the sheep to end u racing back into the arena we
were judging/timing from. AT that point you have to not look at the sheep
and not look at the dog otherwise you become part of it.

How much do you simply being there affect the sheep?

Melissa

Old July 21st 04, 04:54 AM

In rec.pets.dogs.activities Melissa S. Frye wrote:
But with the ranch style the judge, and
therefore timer needs to move so we never sat down. And then occasionaly
handler error would cause the sheep to end u racing back into the arena we
were judging/timing from. AT that point you have to not look at the sheep
and not look at the dog otherwise you become part of it.

How much do you simply being there affect the sheep?

Not much as long as we don't move and don't look at them. With these
particular sheep if we had looked at them, or especially looked and then
moved we wouild have had sheep coming with us. THey see the human as a
saftey zone.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/