How big should a crate be?

Old July 11th 03, 01:19 AM
Shelly & The Boys

Default How big should a crate be?

"Rosa Palmén" wrote in message
I know that most Belgian folks I've talked to use sizes ranging from
the 400-600 sized vari-kennels. I think Bodhi would be too large
for a 400, but he fits nicely into a wire 500ish size. However,
I've seen some really small bitches that would fit just fine in a 400.
IIRC, mine is 36"x25"

snipped
poke up to straight! :-) I've also got a 600 size vari-kennel (the
plastic airline type) and it's huge. It's probably about 42"x28".

Eh, stupid question maybe, but are the measurements length x width or

what?

The larger dimension is the height, on the ones I mentioned. I think
they are probably between 24--28" long (front to back). The 48"x28"
is big, it was for our GSD, because she was big and long in the body.

Oh, I just have to ask you, is Bodhi as jealous as Hobbe? We can't hug or
kiss without suddenly noticing that there is a little tervuren that has
gotten up on his hindlegs and gently put his front paws on us (usually me
and sometimes up on my shoulder, yes - i'm short =)) It's like he's saying
"me too!" and it's really hard to get mad at him, it's so cute =)

Yes, but we're used to it, because Coda is like that too. We look
at it like them saying, "What? Free love's are being given out? Here
we are!" Luckily, if we tell them to go lie down, they will. However,
when my husband gets home, it's a free-for-all, a big group family hug. :-)
We shut the door if we want privacy. Of course, when we open it
again, there are two pointy faces staring at us like we've been gone
for days! laugh
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 11th 03, 02:35 AM
Supergoof

"Rosa Palmén" wrote ...
to lie under stuff - she used to crawl in under our old bed - she could
barely fit, and the noise she made when she got in and out of there.... it
really took her some time to get out of there =)

LOL

Murphy used to lie under my old bed - I think it was nice and cool under
there, but it was a fairly snug fit!

Sometimes if you didn't know she was there it could give you a helluva
fright when she decided to get out in a hurry!

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 11th 03, 06:36 PM
Stafford A. Rau

Related crate question - Sadie is not crate trained, but if we get
serious about agility or any other activity, I'm guessing that we'll
need some sort of crate for her if we start attending competitions.

The collapsible steel frame w/nylon cover ones (Port-A-Crate seems to
be one of the brands I've seen) look comfy and convenient - do any of
you have experience with them for use as a traveling crate? It
wouldn't be used for an every night crate, just for traveling & and
competitions & stuff.

"Shelly & The Boys" writes:

Yes, but we're used to it, because Coda is like that too. We look
at it like them saying, "What? Free love's are being given out? Here
we are!"

With Sadie, it really seems like a "me too!" reaction rather than a
jealousy thing. If anyone is being affectionate around her, she starts
the tail-waggin butt-wigglin walk over to us followed up with leaning
against us for a good scritching.

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old July 12th 03, 02:28 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Stafford A. Rau" wrote in message

Related crate question - Sadie is not crate trained, but if we get
serious about agility or any other activity, I'm guessing that we'll
need some sort of crate for her if we start attending competitions.

The collapsible steel frame w/nylon cover ones (Port-A-Crate seems to
be one of the brands I've seen) look comfy and convenient - do any of
you have experience with them for use as a traveling crate? It
wouldn't be used for an every night crate, just for traveling & and
competitions & stuff.

That's a great question, and I'm interested too, since I know
that I plan to purchase a mesh crate w/in probably the next 6-8 mos.
or so. I'm looking at the "It's A Breeze Too", because neither
of my boys fight the kennel, or try to escape. I'm looking mainly
at ease or putting it up, and lightweight.
Maybe I'll post it on another topic... I know Melanie, and I'm sure
many more people as well, have mesh style crates.

Yes, but we're used to it, because Coda is like that too. We look
at it like them saying, "What? Free love's are being given out? Here
we are!"

With Sadie, it really seems like a "me too!" reaction rather than a
jealousy thing. If anyone is being affectionate around her, she starts
the tail-waggin butt-wigglin walk over to us followed up with leaning
against us for a good scritching.

Yep, that's how it is here too. Both of them are leaners.
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 14th 03, 05:41 PM
Mary W.

Melanie L Chang wrote:

Shelly & The Boys ) wrote:

: That's a great question, and I'm interested too, since I know
: that I plan to purchase a mesh crate w/in probably the next 6-8 mos.
: or so. I'm looking at the "It's A Breeze Too", because neither
: of my boys fight the kennel, or try to escape. I'm looking mainly
: at ease or putting it up, and lightweight.

snip

I use Cabana Crates for Solo and Fly at sheepdog trials and agility
trials. Both of my dogs respect the mesh and don't claw at it, although
Solo learned quickly how to unzip the crate if I forget to lock the zipper
(the zipper lock is integrated). These crates take about two seconds to
set up and weigh almost nothing. They are made of the same materials that
high-end camping or hiking equipment would be made out of. They are
nearly indestructible unless clawed or chewed. I actually ran over one of
mine with my car by accident (don't ask) and nothing happened to it -- the
aluminum tubes remained totally straight and didn't bend at all, no dents,
no scratches, no damage to the material. All the corners are reinforced
and the zippers are heavy-duty. Both of the crates fit into one carry
case that I can easily sling over a shoulder. It is very easy to take
the crate apart and wash it if necessary.

I, too, have two cabana crates for my two dogs (BC, labmix). I've had
them both for 4 years or so I think. They've held up remarkably well.
I use them for travel, for agility trials and I also use them every single
day since the dogs sleep in them at night. I did have to replace the zipper
on Bonnies crate, which wasn't too expensive, and the company did the
repair. I now have to replace the zipper on Molly's crate. The zippers
both failed the same way - the teeths stopped catching together for
whatever reason. Looks like the company is no longer doing zipper
repair (cost prohibitive) but will sell a zipper kit to get it done locally.
I'm considering buying a replacement crate cover which isn't too much.

We've been very happy with these crates.

Mary