Ping Cate and Jana (agility spectating op, Baltimore area)

Old July 16th 03, 02:46 PM
Sionnach

Default Ping Cate and Jana (agility spectating op, Baltimore area)

"Cate" wrote:

Oh, one of these might work. I'll email you for directions if I can make

it.

Cool. If you decide to come this weekend, and don't get an answer from me
(you should, but the brain sometimes goes, AND I'll have an extra dog this
weekend- Eli the Lab), look up the Carroll County Indoor Sports Center.

What's the feasibility of bringing Orson to watch?

The indoor trial (this weekend) doesn't have a lot of space. It's an
indoor soccer arena, the bleachers (folding metal type) are really close to
the ring (bottom tier of the bleachers is 2-3 feet from the plexiglass that
encloses the ring), and competitors have to go up and down in front of the
bleachers to get to their crates- which means that a dog sitting at the
bleachers has to be able to let other dogs pass literally an inch away.
It's doable if your dog is well-behaved, but generally not advisable
simply because it's A. a PIA to have to constantly keep an eye out and B.
not much fun for the dog. Besides, you can usually see better if you sit
higher up on the bleachers. g

At the outdoor trial, not a problem as long as the dog will sit/lie
reasonably quietly while other dogs run, and not be either aggressive or
insist on greeting every dog that goes by - IOW as long as the dog has
basic good manners & is unobtrusive. And there's plenty of room for standing
back a bit. :-)

Old July 16th 03, 03:11 PM
Cate

"Sionnach" wrote in message

At the outdoor trial, not a problem as long as the dog will sit/lie
reasonably quietly while other dogs run, and not be either aggressive or
insist on greeting every dog that goes by - IOW as long as the dog has
basic good manners & is unobtrusive. And there's plenty of room for

standing
back a bit. :-)

What's the name of the facility in Millersville? I think that one might work
out.

Cate

Old July 16th 03, 03:17 PM
J1Boss

Here's a link to the CC Indoor Sports Complex:

http://www.carroll-indoor.com/

You can also come there to watch flyball on October 4 & 5!

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine

Old July 16th 03, 03:56 PM
Sionnach

"Cate" wrote:

What's the name of the facility in Millersville?

Hog Dog Productions. It's not really a "facility", but an old farm that
was purchased and has had two fields planted, mowed, etc. specifically for
running agility on. The owner has a Catahoula, hence the name. G

Old July 16th 03, 04:14 PM
Cate

"Sionnach" wrote in message

"Cate" wrote:

What's the name of the facility in Millersville?

Hog Dog Productions. It's not really a "facility", but an old farm that
was purchased and has had two fields planted, mowed, etc. specifically for
running agility on. The owner has a Catahoula, hence the name. G

Cool. I hope to be there with my newly-minted veterinarian friend, who'll be
in town for the weekend. This'll be right up her alley. (And mine.)

Cate

Old July 16th 03, 04:14 PM
Cate

"J1Boss" wrote in message
Here's a link to the CC Indoor Sports Complex:

http://www.carroll-indoor.com/

You can also come there to watch flyball on October 4 & 5!

I'll put it on my calendar!

Cate

Old July 16th 03, 04:55 PM
Sionnach

"Cate" wrote:

Cool. I hope to be there with my newly-minted veterinarian friend, who'll

be
in town for the weekend. This'll be right up her alley. (And mine.)

I'll e-mail you the directions. :-) One thing to be aware of: only the ring
will be lighted. So by 9 pm you might need a flashlight to find your
vehicle. Also, if either of you has an SUV type vehicle, it's preferable to
a low-slung car; the driveway is a tad on the lumpy-bumpy side. G

Old July 16th 03, 06:19 PM
Cate

"Sionnach" wrote in message

"Cate" wrote:

Cool. I hope to be there with my newly-minted veterinarian friend,

who'll
be
in town for the weekend. This'll be right up her alley. (And mine.)

I'll e-mail you the directions. :-)

Thanks very much.

One thing to be aware of: only the ring
will be lighted. So by 9 pm you might need a flashlight to find your
vehicle. Also, if either of you has an SUV type vehicle, it's preferable

a low-slung car; the driveway is a tad on the lumpy-bumpy side. G

It just so happens that my super-anal DH makes me carry not one but two
flashlights in my gass-guzzlin' urban assault vehicle. Sounds like I'm all
set then.

Cate

Old July 16th 03, 06:21 PM
Cate

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

Darn it! Makes me jealous I am not near.

Well maybe on your cross-country trek to Ithaca you can stop by. We can go
to the dog beach on the Chesapeake Bay. (Where I saw a ring-necked vulture
last week. Which I only recognized from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.)

Cate

Old July 16th 03, 08:03 PM
Cate

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

That sounds like a plan. That is when I get the opportunity to be off long
enough
for my cross-country trek! LOL

Oh, it should only take, what, 2 days to drive here? That's just a measely
weekend!

A ring-necked vulture? Neat.

I'm sure it's pretty ordinary to some other folks here, but it was just so
*big* and nearby. And it stared at me the whole hour we were there, because,
I think, Orson and I interrupted his meal.

And apparently ring-necked isn't what those scary giant things are called.

I take Orson is really enjoying himself now? All settled in and all.

He's adjusted to city life for the most part, but the last couple of days
he's been mopey. I thought he was just bored and/or lonely for his dog
friends, but today he turned up with the squirts. Again. sigh *This* makes
it very tough not to have a back yard.

But he loves swimming in the bay! It's not a great day out unless there's
sand in his fur. Which means sand in our bed. Which gives a kind of
vacation-house air to our very urban, not-beachy-at-all house.

Cate