Dominance

Old July 17th 03, 12:39 AM
Mark/Shell

Default Dominance

I'll try to keep this short... I have two dogs, George BC X Lab who is 17
months and Dougie a BC who is 15 months old. I had George 4 months before
Doug. Dougie is by far the stronger / heavier of the two but George is the
dominant dog. They get on great and never fight but sometimes I feel their
playfighting which is 50% of their waking moments is a bordering on sorting
out pack order. It is obvious Doug knows George is the Alpha but he tries it
on but always backs down. Like I have said before there is never any serious
/ proper fights. Is this normal behaviour? Will it be an ongoing thing or
will it peter out and eventually Doug will give up and know his place? or is
it just their ages? Doug always seems to want what George has, they have
numerous toys but Doug wants the one George has, if they are given a chew /
bone Doug wants Georges where as George wants both.
Any comments greatly appreciated.

Shell
see my boys at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/hollyputt

Old July 17th 03, 04:16 AM
D.Currie

/
bone Doug wants Georges where as George wants both.
Any comments greatly appreciated.

Shell
see my boys at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/hollyputt

I have two females, and it seems that the better they're getting along and
the happier they are in general, the more they playfight, and the rowdier it
is.

If one or the other is cranky or if they've recently had a squabble, they
tend not to playfight at all, or if they do, it's a lot more cautious.

Whether this is true of other dogs, I have no idea, but playfighting is
playing, and if they're having fun, it's fine with me.

--
Donna

"It's even worse than that. Sometimes I think I'm living in a perpendicular
universe."

Old July 17th 03, 10:31 AM
peejoe

"D.Currie" wrote in message

I have two females, and it seems that the better they're getting along and
the happier they are in general, the more they playfight, and the rowdier

it
is.

If one or the other is cranky or if they've recently had a squabble, they
tend not to playfight at all, or if they do, it's a lot more cautious.

Whether this is true of other dogs, I have no idea, but playfighting is
playing, and if they're having fun, it's fine with me.

--
Donna

That is how it always was with Kiska and Loki too (both female). I
noticed subtle dominant/submissive type behaviors, like Loki always giving
up the good spot on the couch or backing off when Kiska tried to hog
attention, etc... Playfighting was always a great sign. Stiffening up
or eyeballing each other at every move were the type of warnings I watched
for.

-Jenn

Old July 17th 03, 06:55 PM
Mark/Shell

"montana" wrote in message
When we had Spencer (male) and Tracy (male) there was always tension
between the two but they didn't play fight. We have lots of
play-fighting between our two old dogs and our young dog, but I don't
think it has anything at all to do with pack order. They can playfight
all they want outside, but they are not allowed to play like this
indoors. I know this doesn't help, but it's just my observation.

I need to put a stop to it indoors really because they have busted my sofa
from using it as a trampet!!
I am 100% sure it is playfighting as there is a distinct difference.

Shell

Old July 17th 03, 07:00 PM
Mark/Shell

"peejoe" wrote in message
That is how it always was with Kiska and Loki too (both female). I
noticed subtle dominant/submissive type behaviors, like Loki always

giving
up the good spot on the couch or backing off when Kiska tried to hog
attention, etc... Playfighting was always a great sign. Stiffening up
or eyeballing each other at every move were the type of warnings I watched
for.

-Jenn

There hasn't been a proper fight between the boys since the 1st week Doug
arrived when George quickly stamped his authority. There are no fights for
dominance but silly things like Doug trying to pinch Georges bed or his toy
or push in for a fuss etc.

Shell

Old July 17th 03, 10:10 PM
Mark/Shell

George is very dominant and wouldn't accept anything but being top dog, Doug
on the other hand is more laid back but knows he is bigger and stronger than
George and so will push his luck. They do get on well and neither of them
are a problem to me at all, I just wondered if eventually they would accept
their roles. I suppose they are still young George 17 months and Doug 15
months.

Shell
"peejoe" wrote in message

"Mark/Shell" wrote in message

Do dogs accept the pack order though or do they always try and change

it?

Shell

They can settle into their roles and be happy, with the right
combination of attitude. In the 5 1/2 years I had both Kiska and Loki
there were only three real fights. All occurred when Loki was around 2
years old and was looking to move up in the world. I'm sure if Loki had
had the power to overtake Kiska the house would have never been quiet

again,
since Kiska would not have settled for anything other then queen bitch.
Loki has the right temperament to be the under-dog, so it worked out

nicely
once she assumed her role. They were best buds from then on, with only
minor growling grumbles once in a while over food or something like that.
Do you think one of your dogs is like Loki, or are they both Kiska
types? Two Kiska types would be hard I think.

-Jenn
note: The fights were not bloody brawls... Kiska just put Loki down
and stayed in her face, snapping and making all kinds of horrible noise
until Loki gave up and lay still.

Old July 17th 03, 10:44 PM
Mark/Shell

oopps sorry the post below was for the odd behaviour thread..

shell
"Mark/Shell" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice, I just couldn't think of way to teach him it's not
acceptable behaviour without him totally ruining my bed!!! I have to say I
did find it funny when he done it and My hubby was in bed sleeping..lol

Shell
"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

Mark/Shell wrote:

I suppose they are still young George 17 months and Doug 15
months.

Shell

They are still young Shell. It will all work out I am sure.

I know right now it is probably pretty difficult. And I realize
you wouldn't want this to become a behavior habit.

Gwen

Old July 18th 03, 04:01 AM
Supergoof

"Mark/Shell" wrote ...

It's fine with me too, I enjoy watching them especially when George
delibwritley lies down so Doug can drag him around the lounge my his
collar!!!

LOL

Mum's dog used to do this when she and Murphy were playing. Mindy would lie
on a bean bag and clamp down on the end of the tug rope and Murphy would tow
her all over the kitchen lino, bean bag and all!

Mindy's quite calculating that way, definitely has some concept of cause and
effect. Murphy's gorgeous, but she's not terribly bright in that way, though
she's very clever when it comes to looking cute )

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 18th 03, 04:04 AM
Supergoof

"Mark/Shell" wrote ...
George is very dominant and wouldn't accept anything but being top dog,

Doug
on the other hand is more laid back but knows he is bigger and stronger

than
George and so will push his luck.

Does size matter when it comes to dominance?

We're hoping to get a Newf pup at the end of this year, and I'm hoping that
it will be happy to accept Murphy as top dog, because I doubt Murphy will
accept being the submissive one if the Newf uses its size to become
dominant. That Newf pup will be twice Murphy's size in a few months.

What I really hope is that a Newf will be sweet natured enough not to want
to be top dog in the first place.

Rachel
(New Zealand)