Male German Shorthair/Russell Terrier mix needs new home-Placerville, CA

Old December 31st 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Angelheart

Default Male German Shorthair/Russell Terrier mix needs new home-Placerville, CA

I have a rescued 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier/German Shorthair mix.
He requires far more exercise than I can provide. He likes to roam and
finds a new way out of the yard almost every day.
Old January 4th 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Jo Wolf

Default Male German Shorthair/Russell Terrier mix needs new home-Plac...

Angelheart, again, this site doesn't attract people looking for rescue
dogs (see the thread about the Rottie that's available) at the local
level. Contact the group you got this busybody from, if you got him
from a no-kill shelter or foster home based group.... if legit, they
should take him back. If you got him from a previous owner, then talk
to one of these groups about taking him. They are much better at
matchmaking than most owners... experience is a great teacher, plus they
have a constant flow of potential homes of wide variety.

If the excape problem is because you are leaving him unsupervised in the
yard, there are solutions. The primary one is rating the dog when you
are gone.... tucked up nice and comfy in his private "room" with a Kong
toy stuffed with dog food and peanut butter to give him a daily project
of getting the goodies out. Then get him outside for some meaningful
exercise.... walks, running with you, playing fetch, perhaps a good
basic obedience class.... but you outdoors With him to keep him
occupied. A half hour morning and evening.... and interacting with him
indoors. His inheritance just demands the activity.... GSPs were
developed to retrieve all day, and Jack Russells, well, they're hunting
dogs too, of a different type, but Busy. Both breeds are very bright
and Very trainable, having been developed to work with humans. So your
rascal Needs both the exercise and the human companionship and
partnership.

Unfortunately, if you don't have an hour a day to give to your dog, then
your next pet should probably be of another species. Perhaps an adult
house cat, or a bird, or something like a gerble or hamster that lives
in a habitat. Not a ferret; they are very demanding of attention....
and VERY busy between short naps. It may even be a good idea to wait
until your life settles into a better routine with a little more free
time before you get your next pet. (Heck, I was almost 40 before the
right time came to get my first dog.... and I had to make some
significant lifestyle changes I didn't expect, to make it work.... but
in the meantime, I had a blast with a couple of cats.)

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia