NEED her 2 Poo In Kennel

Old January 7th 11, 09:05 AM
Fiammata Fiammata is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy NEED her 2 Poo In Kennel

Okay so I have an outdoor kennel attached to a low-hanging window for my dog to go poo when I'm gone at work. She can get in and out the window via a doggy door, and has no problems understanding the concept, in fact has been trained within very few repetitions to go in and out on command. She also will go out there sometimes on her own.

The problem is she views the kennel as a place NOT to poo, but the area in front of the usual doors as the place TO poo, or any other random corner of the indoor room. She's been confined to the cement-floored room which attaches to both the doors and the kennel for this reason.

I'm trying to train her to use that kennel by not taking her outside where she wants... by waiting until she can't hold it any more, then rewarding her when she goes in the correct location, she should understand the concept enough to go use the kennel if she has to poo while I'm at work, right? Wrong! It's been over a week and I'm soooooo stuck! Her usual routine now is to go out into the kennel (on her own), pace around, come back in, pace around, go out, come in, come to me, go to the big doors and lay down. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. If I leave the room for even 5 minutes she has an accident inside the house, but if I stick around she'll hold it and hold it all day long and into the night if she can. So how do I make the outdoor kennel feel more outdoorsy than inside the house?

She has no problems reaching the kennel, as she goes there on her own with no prompting, and can also go on command (I even call it "outside" to try to teach her it's where to go poo). It's not too small, as it's 6'x10' which is considered MUCH too large for the type of kennel where you train them NOT to poo in. She's able to jog around in it and stand up on her hind legs. Its floor is concrete (outside the window is an enclosed patio, which the kennel was put inside to keep her from marking what's stored out there). But inside the house is concrete too. Being an enclosed patio, there's a sort of a roof, but inside has a roof too, there are ventilated walls, but inside has walls too. She has no problems going outside in the grass, sadly few problems going inside the house, but will hold until the point of bursting rather than go in the kennel.

So how do I make it more appealing to her??

I've tried bringing in pieces of sod from outside. I've tried spreading wood shavings. I have several appropriately sized objects out there, filled with sand, to lure her to marking them. I've tried spraying store-bought scents that are supposed to entice dogs to mark over them. For God's sake, I've even dabbled fox urine out there! (She rolled in that, btw). She HAS gone out there before due to not being able to hold it any longer, so her own scent is out there too, and each time she goes out there I praise her. I've done both extremes of praising, from the ecstatic to the smile and a 'tinkle treat.' She knows what tinkle treats are because I only ever give them to her when she does her business outside in the grass where she was taught to go. Now I give them to her when she goes in the kennel, the few times that she has. If taken outside to the grass, or if I leave her unattended inside the house, she'll do #1 4-7 times a day and usually #2 in the afternoon, maybe the evening. If confined to the kennel, she'll hold BOTH until a little past midnight... once she held both until 3:30am of the next day! If I'm in the room with her that leads to the kennel and she can freely enter and leave it on her own, she does the above-mentioned process of going in and out the kennel (thru the window), going to and from the big doors, pacing around, whining... she eventually starts sniffing around at the big doors and I shoo her to the kennel, telling her to "go outside," "go tinkle," and she goes out there and paces but comes back inside still not emptied, and begins sniffing at the big doors again, only to be shoo'd back out there again...

What am I missing? What can I do to make the OUTSIDE kennel more appealing for poo than inside the house? It's not the outdoor elements that bother her, as she has no problems going on the grass outside. It's also not something about the space that scares her to be in it, as she'll go out there just to sniff the wind or sit sometimes.

Please help me.
Old January 7th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
sighthounds & siberians

Default NEED her 2 Poo In Kennel

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:05:04 +0000, Fiammata
wrote:

You'll get more suggestions on a behavior problem such as this if you
post it in the behavior group.

Old January 7th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
sonofdog

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:05:04 +0000, Fiammata wrote:

she eventually starts sniffing around at the big doors and I shoo her to
the kennel, telling her to "go outside," "go tinkle," and she goes out
there and paces but comes back inside still not emptied,

while she is in kennel closed the door so she will be unable to come back
until she does her business,praise and treat after she's done

Old January 7th 11, 09:21 PM
Fiammata Fiammata is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

I did also post in the behavior section, but hoping for more readers (and responses), I also posted here, since she is a rescue dog, and maybe other adopters out there have had the same problem. Looks like it was a good idea too, seeing as the other one doesn't have any responses, but this one does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofdog View Post
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:05:04 +0000, Fiammata wrote:

while she is in kennel closed the door so she will be unable to come back
until she does her business,praise and treat after she's done
Thank you, I have now been going between doing that and supervising her inside the room (shooing her out there each time she starts sniffing the floor). The problem is, since she'll hold it into the night, it is especially hard to be there when she 'goes' so I can praise her at the right time. Sometimes she'll go around midnight; sometimes she'll manage to hold it until past 3:30am! However if I break down and take her to the grass (thru the kennel door now), she goes right away, so it's not a constipation problem.
Old January 7th 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
cshenk

"Fiammata" wrote

The problem is she views the kennel as a place NOT to poo, but the area
in front of the usual doors as the place TO poo, or any other random
corner of the indoor room. She's been confined to the cement-floored
room which attaches to both the doors and the kennel for this reason.

How big is the kennel? If it's small, she may view it more as her play
space/private den and not want to go there.

Old January 8th 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 20:21:53 +0000, Fiammata
wrote:

I did also post in the behavior section, but hoping for more readers
(and responses), I also posted here, since she is a rescue dog, and
maybe other adopters out there have had the same problem. Looks like it
was a good idea too, seeing as the other one doesn't have any responses,
but this one does!

That's because it didn't show up on the behavior group. You may think
you posted it there, but it's not there. There are more readers
there, and that is the place for questions about behavior problems.

Old January 8th 11, 07:12 AM
Fiammata Fiammata is offline
Junior Member

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshenk View Post
"Fiammata" wrote

It's not too small, as it's 6'x10' which is .... She's able to jog around in it and stand up on her hind legs.
--------------------
Old January 8th 11, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
sonofdog

sonofdog;382434 Wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:05:04 +0000, Fiammata wrote: -
while she is in kennel closed the door so she will be unable to come
back
until she does her business,praise and treat after she's done -

Thank you, I have now been going between doing that and supervising her
inside the room (shooing her out there each time she starts sniffing the
floor). The problem is, since she'll hold it into the night, it is
especially hard to be there when she 'goes' so I can praise her at the
right time. Sometimes she'll go around midnight; sometimes she'll manage
to hold it until past 3:30am! However if I break down and take her to
the grass (thru the kennel door now), she goes right away, so it's not a
constipation problem.

you may also need to adjust her feeding/watering schedule so will need to
to do business ~ 7:00 am ?
Old January 8th 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
cshenk

"Fiammata" wrote

I did also post in the behavior section, but hoping for more readers
(and responses), I also posted here, since she is a rescue dog, and
maybe other adopters out there have had the same problem. Looks like it
was a good idea too, seeing as the other one doesn't have any responses,
but this one does!

Your message never got out to the behavior group. rec.pets.dogs.behavior is
the real name but i don't know what it's called on dogbanter (a web site
that apparently sells access to newsgroups in a format many like).

Getting my pup to use his own kennel Emma Mortell Dog behavior 6 August 29th 09 04:37 PM
kennel ? Oxymel of Squill Dogs - general 0 July 13th 07 11:02 AM
Messing In Kennel Snackle Dog behavior 53 January 14th 07 12:52 AM
kennel [email protected] Dog health 2 May 19th 06 10:36 PM
Northwest Kennel? Jack Dogs - general 0 June 29th 05 05:25 AM