Canine/Feline A&D High Calorie Canned Food

Old July 24th 03, 07:29 PM
Katra

Default Canine/Feline A&D High Calorie Canned Food

Hi Y'all!

Been still lurking in the background. ;-)
I have a question.

Jasper, one of my favorite tomkitties is 11 years old and has developed
Hyperthyroidism... I'd been feeding him fancy feast and giving him lots
of extra attention and food, but over the past 2 years, the weight loss
has gotten slowly worse. I noticed a real sudden, dramatic drop in
weight so took him back to vet finally. He had lost 1/2 lb. in two
weeks, (he had been there 2 weeks previously for annual vaccinations) so
she finally did blood tests and confirmed that his T-4 levels were sky
high, and his heart rate is running about 180 bpm. His metabolism is
where I wish mine was! G

We have discussed the Radioactive Iodine treatment, but that is $1,000
that I don't have, so she is trying some drug therapy, and we switched
him over to the Hill's high calorie prescription food that is mentioned
in the subject title.

I'm happy to say that Jasper gained 1.2 lbs. back in just 3 weeks, and
is continuing to put weight on. :-) He is looking better now than he has
for 2 years! His eyes are no longer sunken in and he is getting a belly.
I can still feel his backbone and hip bones, but he is doing well.

Jasper consumes 2 cans of this food per day at $1.25 per can. I'm
willing to continue this to keep him alive, he is precious to me, but I
am wondering if anyone knows where I can buy this food by the case,
wholesale, or at least at a discount?

My news server is still only giving me about 25% of the newsfeed, so I'd
deeply appreciate any replies being cc'd to me privately. This is very
important to me. I'll also follow the thread on dad's computer as his
account at Grandecom has a better newsfeed.

TIA!
Katra

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

Breast Implants are the Stupidest idea ever. If I wanted to fondle
$10,000.oo worth of Silicon, I'd buy a new computer! --Anon.

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old July 24th 03, 07:43 PM

[posted and e-mailed]

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Katra wrote:

Jasper consumes 2 cans of this food per day at $1.25 per can. I'm
willing to continue this to keep him alive, he is precious to me, but I
am wondering if anyone knows where I can buy this food by the case,
wholesale, or at least at a discount?

unfortunately, i don't know of a source for cheaper Hill's
prescription foods, so i can't address that. however...

my old cat's mama had the same problem as Jasper. what her
owner did, instead of the radioactive iodine treatment, is
treat it medically. i don't recall what the specific med was
or the cost, but my recollection is that it was *much* cheaper
than what you're paying for prescription food. with the meds,
Kizmet was able gain weight and maintain that weight gain
eating plain old Diamond kibble. she was in very good
condition until the day she died at ~16yo (from something
totally unrelated to her thyroid).

if you haven't investigated treating Jasper with meds, and are
interested in more info, i'd be happy to ask Kizmet's owner
about the specifics. just let me know.

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old July 24th 03, 09:15 PM
Alison Smiley Perera

[posted and emailed]

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Katra wrote:

We have discussed the Radioactive Iodine treatment, but that is $1,000
that I don't have, so she is trying some drug therapy, and we switched
him over to the Hill's high calorie prescription food that is mentioned
in the subject title.

Katra,

Have you spoken with the vet about this? Hill's A/D is not really intended
for long-term feeding. If your cat is gaining weight there's a good chance
the Tapazole (I assume that's what the "drug therapy" is) is working and
he'll be able to gain weight with any kind of food. I'd be a bit concerned
because hyperthyroidism very very often is "concealing" an underlying
kidney problem, and the A/D is almost certainly contraindicated for renal
disease. Have you had a follow-up blood test yet? I don't remember if 2
weeks or 1 month is the preferred interval for that.

Also, you might consider saving up to get him treated more permanently.
I've seen the numbers run, and for a cat as young as 11 I think that the
permanent radioiodoine treatment would be cheaper in the long run than a
decade (God willing) of Tapazole. Surgery to remove the thyroid gland and
tumor is also an option and is usually cheaper than the radio treatment..
Unfortunately one potential side effect is that by taking out too much
thyroid tissue you'll get *hypo*thyroidism and still have to feed a daily
pill to supplement the thyroid.

Good luck!
-Alison in OH
(not a vet)

THE PET FOOD INDUSTRY AND YOUR PETS HEALTH (vol 1) WalterNY Dog activities 0 February 8th 04 05:15 PM
IT'S TIME TO CHANGE THE PRACTICES OF THE PET FOOD INDUSTRY!!!!! Introduction WalterNY Dog activities 0 February 4th 04 12:22 AM
canned food Sunni12 Dog health 0 December 13th 03 09:41 AM
canned food Sunni12 Dog health 0 December 13th 03 09:41 AM
Canned vs Dry food Harry Dog health 17 July 23rd 03 04:14 AM