Weird eating behavior....

Old July 24th 03, 08:46 PM
Holier Than Thou

Default Weird eating behavior....

Suja, since you seem to understand the bizarre mind that is Kavik, I am
particularly interested in your take on this.

Mike and I have always shared in the feeding of the dogs. Either one of
us gives them breakfast or dinner. I more often give them breakfast
because I leave later. But both dogs are accustomed to both of us
feeding them. We feed them at the same time every day, except on
weekends, they eat later because we all sleep in a bit. Most of the
time Mike feeds on weekend mornings because I sleep a little later.

About a month ago Mike got up on a Saturday and went to feed Kavik, who
chose not to eat. This is very rare and at that time I thought maybe
Kavik didnt' feel well. IT concerned me because thats what Kavik did
when he had the blockage. A trip to to the vet indicated he was fine
and as he ate his dinner with gusto, I figured it was a fluke.

However, the behavior has not only continued but its gotten weirder.

The next day the same behavior happened. I attempted to encourage him
to eat and he did.

The following weekend the repeat performance convinced me not to coax
Kavik to eat. Instead I had Mike plonk his bowl down in the middle of
the room and had Toklat eat it. Kavik just watched.

mike has recently started working four-tens - with mondays off. ITs the
only change that I can consider has happened since the behavior change.

Kavik will now NOT EAT at all for mike unless I am right there. He
looks hungry and interested in the food, but then won't eat it.
Originally it was that he would only not eat breakfast from mike, now
its both breakfast and dinner.

Every monday morning Mike calls me to give me the lowdown - Kavik will
not eat for him.

On weekends Kavik will only eat if I am the feeder or if I am in the
room. If I happen to be in the bedroom when Mike feeds the dogs in the
kitchen, Kavik runs into the bedroom frantically to retrieve me and when
I get up and walk towards the kitchen he races to the bowl and quickly
eats the food.

Mike says that nothing has happened to make Kavik scared of his feeding
- no dropped bowls, no loud noises, nothing of interest.

Its not a huge deal - I can feed the dog, but its very odd. Any guesses
what is going on in his weirdo brain?

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 24th 03, 08:57 PM
Suja

Holier Than Thou wrote:

Suja, since you seem to understand the bizarre mind that is Kavik, I am
particularly interested in your take on this.

Takes one to know one, eh? I'll give it a shot.

Mike says that nothing has happened to make Kavik scared of his feeding
- no dropped bowls, no loud noises, nothing of interest.

Is it just food or treats too? Has Mike tried hand feeding him? Would
he eat if Mike left the room?
Just wild guesses here, but I am wondering if Mike at some point gave
him something to eat that he found particularly repulsive (like meds),
or was maybe too hot and burned his mouth. Did he take something away
from him recently? For all we know, it could've been complete
coincidence - Mike happened to be the one feeding him or may have been
the only one in the room when something startled him.

Its not a huge deal - I can feed the dog, but its very odd.

Actually, I would shift all the feeding responsibilities to Mike. Maybe
initially, he can set the bowl down and leave the room, gradually
working his way back into the picture. I'd hate to think that I can't
leave the dog in my SO's care if I had to go somewhere.

Weirdo!

Suja

Old July 24th 03, 10:26 PM
Holier Than Thou

Suja wrote in :

More guesses. Does it make any difference if he is fed in a different
from normal spot or in a different kind of bowl? Would he eat if Mike
put something extra yummy in the bowl and presented it to him? Can he
mix the extra yummy with his kibble and entice him to eat that way?
Don't want to coddle him too much, lest he decide to hold out for the
good stuff daily, but I'm just trying to figure out if Kavik has a bad
Mike-kibble association or Mike-bowl association or what.

Kavik is a sulker. I wonder if maybe the food hurt him and he thought
mike did it?

It cant' be any of the other things -he eats cake when mike feeds it to
him vbg

Be strong. Poor Kavik may be a very hungry boy for the next few days,
if he decides that he is just not going to eat.

He is chunky and could afford to lose five pounds, so no big deal vbg
(maybe i need the kavik diet plan??)

But there is a problem: if I go in the kitchen, he will eat. does this
mean i need to be banished from the house for days? Or should mike just
pick up the bowl if Kavik doesnt' eat before I can come in?

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 24th 03, 10:57 PM
Suja

Holier Than Thou wrote:

Kavik is a sulker. I wonder if maybe the food hurt him and he thought
mike did it?

He wouldn't have a bad/chipped tooth by any chance, would he?

He is chunky and could afford to lose five pounds, so no big deal vbg
(maybe i need the kavik diet plan??)

Poor guy, no sympathy from mom.

But there is a problem: if I go in the kitchen, he will eat. does this
mean i need to be banished from the house for days? Or should mike just
pick up the bowl if Kavik doesnt' eat before I can come in?

No need to banish yourself unless you want to. Mike can just pick up
the bowl before you get there. Just make sure that he gets a good 10-15
minutes with his bowl before it goes away. Poor little guy is going to
be so confused - mom comes in, food goes away.

Suja

Old July 24th 03, 11:05 PM
montana

Holier Than Thou wrote:

But there is a problem: if I go in the kitchen, he will eat. does this
mean i need to be banished from the house for days? Or should mike just
pick up the bowl if Kavik doesnt' eat before I can come in?

Road trip for BethF!!!
Old July 25th 03, 07:30 AM
BethF

"montana" wrote in message
Holier Than Thou wrote:

But there is a problem: if I go in the kitchen, he will eat. does this
mean i need to be banished from the house for days? Or should mike just
pick up the bowl if Kavik doesnt' eat before I can come in?

Road trip for BethF!!!

LOL! Its so nice and cool here now, i am NOT going anywhere its 110
degrees!!

Tonite i left kavik and went to dog school with toklat. mike added a slice
of roast beef under the dog food and kavik ate his dinner.

Old July 25th 03, 11:44 AM
Lone Hansen

"BethF" wrote in message

Tonite i left kavik and went to dog school with toklat. mike added a slice
of roast beef under the dog food and kavik ate his dinner.

- Seems as if Kavik has a plan. Being difficult: yummi treats with
dinner

Lone

Old July 25th 03, 04:47 PM
Holier Than Thou

"Lone Hansen" wrote in
:

"BethF" wrote in message

Tonite i left kavik and went to dog school with toklat. mike added a
slice of roast beef under the dog food and kavik ate his dinner.

- Seems as if Kavik has a plan. Being difficult: yummi treats with
dinner

Lone

Yes. I wasn't too thrilled about it when i got home but mike had already
done it.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 25th 03, 06:29 PM
Lone Hansen

"Holier Than Thou" wrote in message
. 3.44...

Yes. I wasn't too thrilled about it when i got home but mike had already
done it.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK

- Now you just have to hope that Kavik doesn't teach Toklat how to get
the royal treatment

Lone