Shi Likes Pumpkin!

Old July 28th 03, 08:43 PM
Suja

Default Shi Likes Pumpkin!

Deb wrote:

Found it, opened the can, she looked, sniffed and snarfed! Am glad to have
something other than broccoli and cauliflower to supplement her RD. Now if I
could just get her interested in fruit!

When Khan was on his weight maintenance diet last year, he had no choice
but to eat what was in front of him. That involved cooking and pureeing
because he would eat around his veggies (even peas), and would spit out
any that accidentally went into his mouth, creating a huge mess. After
a while, I could just feed him cooked stuff, and recently, he actually
ate frozen carrots with absolutely no prompting. You could try the same
approach

BTW, fruits are pretty high in calories, so you might want to watch how
much you feed.

Suja

Old July 28th 03, 08:50 PM
Jazz

Hi Deb, When I had a elkhound mix female, years ago, She ate a whole pumpkin
pie off the counter. I was shocked, but she was only a pup at the time and
was forgiven. lol! Anyway, from then on, I'd give her some pumpkin straight
from the can, from time to time, without all the sugar and spice the pie
had, and she loved it plain also. She lived to a very old age...15 1/2.
Probably wasn't due to the pumpkin, but you never know.
She also liked apple cores. Quite a dog!

"Deb" wrote in message
Found it, opened the can, she looked, sniffed and snarfed! Am glad to have
something other than broccoli and cauliflower to supplement her RD. Now if

could just get her interested in fruit!

Deb
Shi the Slimmer
Georgie the Scurry-Stalker

Old July 28th 03, 09:10 PM
D.Currie

"Deb" wrote in message
Found it, opened the can, she looked, sniffed and snarfed! Am glad to have
something other than broccoli and cauliflower to supplement her RD. Now if

could just get her interested in fruit!

Deb
Shi the Slimmer
Georgie the Scurry-Stalker

Green beans are an option, as well. As far as the broc 'n cauli, I read
somewhere that you should limit foods from the cabbage family. I could be
wrong or forgetful, but it might be worth looking up if you're adding a lot
to the diet.

Along with pumpkin, there's the whole winter squash family. Summer squash,
too.

Of course, there's not much, food-wise that my dogs would refuse to eat.
Last year, they decided that cherry tomatoes were a good treat.

--
Donna

"It's even worse than that. Sometimes I think I'm living in a perpendicular
universe."

Old July 29th 03, 03:11 AM
Michelle

"D.Currie" wrote in message ...
"Deb" wrote in message
Found it, opened the can, she looked, sniffed and snarfed! Am glad to have
something other than broccoli and cauliflower to supplement her RD. Now if

could just get her interested in fruit!

Deb
Shi the Slimmer
Georgie the Scurry-Stalker

Go easy with the fruit it has a tendency to go through them quickly
and I've heard that makes vitamin and mineral absorption difficult.
Good luck and I am glad she is doing well she is good lookin dog.
Michelle