Housebreaking with a diaper

Old October 1st 04, 10:59 PM
MauiJNP

Default Housebreaking with a diaper

Has anyone ever tried to housebreak their dog with a diaper? I heard it can
be done and have seen the diapers for dogs of the internet but I am not sure
if I believe it. I am desperate, my puppy is driving me nuts by not
training.

Old October 2nd 04, 12:07 AM
Child

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
Has anyone ever tried to housebreak their dog with a diaper? I heard it

can
be done and have seen the diapers for dogs of the internet but I am not

sure
if I believe it. I am desperate, my puppy is driving me nuts by not
training.

what method of training are you using to housetrain the puppy that isn't
working?

Old October 2nd 04, 02:29 AM
CCDOX

my puppy is driving me nuts by not
training.

I hope you realize that it takes a while to train a puppy. They don't learn in
a week or two (unless you have an extraordinary dog). It takes patience,
consistency, positive training, and taking the new pup out once an hour or so
at the beginning.
Dorothy, owned by C.C., a very spoiled dachshund
Old October 2nd 04, 08:48 AM
Jo Wolf

The diapers and dog-panties you see are NOT for housetraining! They are
for older dogs that have lost control and for bitches in heat to keep
the house clean from the discharge. Using something like this will only
keep the dog from learning to control urination and defecation...
because is doesn't have to make the effort.

Set up a schedule for meals and nap time and bed time, and play time.
Pups should go outside, on leash to eliminate (this way you Know when
the job is done); just stand in one place until it "goes"... then let it
explore or pla a bit. Pups have to "go" after sleeping, playing hard,
or eating ( about 10-20 minutes after eating), and about every couple of
hours, at first. Many will need a trip or two outside during the night
for a few weeks. Don't let your pup have free run of the house; dogs
are den animals, and to a pup, the whole house, or even a big room,
seems like the whole world, not a den. Crating the pup when you are
gone, asleep, or otherwise can't directly supervise will support your
other efforts, and will be the pup's den. When you use a routine like
this, your pup can be accident free, or almost so very soon... HOWEVER!
The pup will not have the necessary control for long periods for several
months.... I don't consider my guys fully housetrained until there has
been no "sinning" for 3-5 weeks, at about 10-12 months.

No punishment for accidents. If he squats indoors and you see it,
startle the pup to interupt the act and grab up and get outside. Reward
success outside with praise (and I add a Cheerio). Clean up accidents
with NO cleaning agents (unless there is poop) by soaking up in paper
towels, wiping with plain water, then soak the area with an enzyme-based
product such as Nature's Miracle or pet store Simple Solution.

You can do it.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old October 22nd 04, 01:03 AM
MauiJNP

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
[...]

10-12 months???

My puppy is 4 months. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. He is still
peeing in the house, on beds and anywhere he is. I take him out every hour,
and feed him at 3 different times during the day (no food otherwise). His
water is down for him constantly though (I'd hate to have to limit it). He
pees before bed and 1st thing in the morning. He is good about waking me up
to pee by licking my face (yes he sleeps in my bed). he goes out after
eating too. I am getting frustrated.

Old October 22nd 04, 06:22 AM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:03:01 -0400 MauiJNP whittled these words:

My puppy is 4 months. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. He is still
peeing in the house, on beds and anywhere he is. I take him out every hour,

If you are present when he pees in the house what behavior is he doing
immediately before peeing? Sniffing? Turning? Does he walk a little
hunched or stiff? Most puppies do give some physical indication that they
are preparing to pee or poop. If you have been supervising him you should
have learned to recognize the signs. Some dogs are more subtle than
others. If the puppy is not in your sight - well that is a big mistake on
your part. The most successful housetraining is a matter of patterning
the dog - which means a period of very close supervision on your part.
Every time the puppy pees inside your job is that much harder. THe puppy
should never be left in a room loose alone, nor should it be allowed to
wander to some other part of the house unwatched. A crate or short tether
will be your assistant there. THe point of both of these is nOT that it
trains the dog, but that it helps prevent mistakes IF the puppy still has
its natrual instinct to want to be clean. But because it is so confined
care should be used to resort to it only when you *can't* supervise.

and feed him at 3 different times during the day (no food otherwise). His
water is down for him constantly though (I'd hate to have to limit it).

Good.

He
pees before bed and 1st thing in the morning. He is good about waking me up
to pee by licking my face (yes he sleeps in my bed). he goes out after
eating too. I am getting frustrated.

Puppies of this age need to pee far more frequently than before bed, after
waking and after eating. They also need to go very shortly after any
physical actvity. So interupt any play session or activity and take him
out. (remember to go out with him, not put him out) Expect him to have to
go after waking from any nap also. Puppies have a lot of output because
their bodies are growing and doing a lot of processing.

See the "Evan's Guide to Housetraining Your Dog" is a very comprehensive
problem solving guide. It is a good resource for people who have some
remediation to do. It has a number of different approaches depending upon
what the problem is, and what your abilities are.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old October 22nd 04, 01:39 PM
Victoria Neff

In article , MauiJNP wrote:

10-12 months???

My puppy is 4 months. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. He is still
peeing in the house, on beds and anywhere he is. I take him out every hour,
and feed him at 3 different times during the day (no food otherwise). His
water is down for him constantly though (I'd hate to have to limit it). He
pees before bed and 1st thing in the morning. He is good about waking me up
to pee by licking my face (yes he sleeps in my bed). he goes out after
eating too. I am getting frustrated.

There is a good article on housebreaking at
http://forpaws.org/articles/housetraining.htm

I think a key is training them to go on command. When they go, you say
GOOOOOOOD Hurry Up (Hurry Up is the command we use for "go pee!"), and
praise, praise, praise.

That way they get the idea that there is a point to being outside.

When inside, they are either crated, or watched like a hawk every second.

If they start to squat, swoop them up, say "No, go outside!" run them out,
say "Hurry Up!" in a happy tone, and hope they do it for you right then so
you can praise.

Vigilance, patience, praise, more patience..................