My dog's dry skin

Old October 19th 03, 08:13 PM
Freckledgrrl

Default My dog's dry skin

Greetings to all:
My dog Molly is about 4 years old (former pound puppy), 14 lbs,
chihuahua/beagle mix. I know I'm not supposed to bathe her "too" often, and
I use gentle dog shampoos - but, she still has flaky skin. She eats a
brand-name dog chow, drinks plenty of fresh water, and is otherwise fit and
healthy.
Does anyone out there know of a good "home remedy" I could put on her
coat - something safe and inexpensive - to help moisturize her skin, and not
give her diarrhea or otherwise make her feel sick?
Thanks for any help - Freckledgrrl

Old October 20th 03, 03:36 AM
Jo Wolf

Let's start with basics. Are you combing and brushing your pooch
frequently? That will remove a lot of the dead skin flakes. Brush the
hair all directions and with each direction wipe with a damp terry
towel.

What are you feeding? Cheaper is Not better. Your dog may need
additional fatty acids... not just fat. This will take a few
weeks/months to take full effect. Switch to a better dog food, if you
are feeding something inexpensive. Add fish oil caps (from health food
store... not terribly expensive... 1-2 per day, depending on size of
dog) to the food; I snip off one end of the cap and glop the liquid on
the food, then leave the casing, which still contains some of the
liquid, in the food.

Unless the dog stinks to high heaven, don't bathe at all. If the dog
has a mild to moderate odor you can't stand, use a pet wipe (bathing
cloth)... kinda like baby wipes, but somewhat different... to wipe off
when brushing.

On the whole, scent hounds have a fairly oily coat, so if this is a
nutritonal problem, a food change and addition of fish oil should work
wonders.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old October 21st 03, 09:52 AM
Freckledgrrl

Jo:
Thanks! I do use pet wipes, they help...and she gets brushed about
once every 1.5 weeks. I need to get a different, softer brush though. I'll
try the fish oil caps - she's about 14 lbs, so not too many per day.

Old October 22nd 03, 08:58 AM
Teeny & Allen

You mention a brand name dog food. Just because it is brand name, doesn't
mean its any good.

Let me give you an example. Most dog foods can change what their mix is
depending on the price of lamb, beef, chicken, etc... they can change this
for up to 6 months without violating common dog food standards. Science
Diet is the only one I know of which does not change their formula based on
what type of meat is cheap that day. Additionally, I feed my dogs their
"Sensitive Skin" product and it has done wonders! Good food (not just name
brand) makes a huge difference.

Good Luck!
Allen
t...

Old October 22nd 03, 03:47 PM

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:58:46 GMT Teeny & Allen whittled these words:
You mention a brand name dog food. Just because it is brand name, doesn't
mean its any good.

Let me give you an example. Most dog foods can change what their mix is
depending on the price of lamb, beef, chicken, etc... they can change this
for up to 6 months without violating common dog food standards. Science
Diet is the only one I know of which does not change their formula based on
what type of meat is cheap that day. Additionally, I feed my dogs their
"Sensitive Skin" product and it has done wonders! Good food (not just name
brand) makes a huge difference.

Actually there are a lot of dog foods that don't change their formula with
meat prices. Reading the ingredients makes a big difference. Meat meal
can be anything, but chicken must be chicken. In any case the most common
source of skin allergy in the diet is corn, so I choose foods without it.

Diane Blackman
Old October 22nd 03, 03:58 PM

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:13:56 GMT Freckledgrrl whittled these words:
Greetings to all:
My dog Molly is about 4 years old (former pound puppy), 14 lbs,
chihuahua/beagle mix. I know I'm not supposed to bathe her "too" often, and
I use gentle dog shampoos - but, she still has flaky skin. She eats a
brand-name dog chow, drinks plenty of fresh water, and is otherwise fit and
healthy.
Does anyone out there know of a good "home remedy" I could put on her
coat - something safe and inexpensive - to help moisturize her skin, and not
give her diarrhea or otherwise make her feel sick?

Most dogs don't need bathing at all. So don't bathe her unless she really
stinks.

Then look at allergy sources
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medica...html#food-flea

And make sure your dog has normal thyroid levels.

Diane Blackman