Home Visit Checklist?

Old September 27th 03, 09:40 PM
Mark/Shell

Before I knew I wasn't going to be house checked I was worried sick about my
back garden. It's totally enclosed so no way the dogs could get out but it's
a tip. Jery laughed and said the dogs didn't care if my borders weren't tidy
or if there were weeds everywhere. It actually looks worse now because there
are huge holes everywhere, George buries things and Doug (aptly named) digs
them up.

Shell

"Suja" wrote in message
Debbie the Underdogged wrote:

when my mom died). I'd picked up the house (sort-of), but was still
very uneasy. However, she told me she wasn't there to judge my
housekeeping, but to check out how dog-friendly my house was, how my
other pets looked and acted, etc.

You know, I know at least one person who tells potential adopters that
if she finds the house utterly spotless, they're probably not getting a
dog from her. She said that she knows of no one who is OCD about having
their home dirt and hair free (to say nothing of the occasional vomit
and diarrhea) who would make a good dog person. FWIW, I think that she
was only half kidding, although it certainly seemed to put the potential
adopters at ease.

One of the HVs I did, I walked in, and when asked whether I'd like to
see the house, told them that the point of the visit was to get to know
them and not to inspect the house. The guy blurted out 'You mean there
was no need for me to shove everything in the closet?' We had a good
laugh about that.

Suja

---

Old September 27th 03, 10:26 PM
Bethgsd

Sally wrote:

Does she happen to mention in the article why she cannot go to a
responsible breeder?

Something about them being too picky and not having puppies when she wants
them. Like I said, a load of crap.

Beth, who waited over a year for Trippy to even be concieved.

Old September 27th 03, 10:28 PM
Rocky

Mark/Shell said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I totally agree, no homecheck was done for me. Jerry who is
our local BC rescue said she had a sixth sense and although
she does homecheck she has only been wrong once in all the
time she has been in rescuing.

That happened when I got Friday. I had a meeting with Friday at
the foster home; later, we all met for an off-leash walk with
Rocky and Murphy. After a couple of hours of talking and
watching the dogs get along, she said that the home check
wouldn't be done.

Most of these pictures were taken that day:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/NewDog/NewDog.html

Old September 27th 03, 10:35 PM
Bethgsd

queenmother wrote:

What I have heard from breeders is that they are also concerned about what
will happen to the dog when you have the flu. Or when they need to be
walked at 3AM.

I dragged my butt out of bed and had the dogs relieve themselves. One time
Zivia had a horribly upset tummy and I was up every twenty minutes or so all
night long taking her out. Which may explain why one of the big requirements
when I was house hunting was a fenced in yard.

Beth