CHOCOLATE and/or SODIUM...... bad for dogs?

Old July 5th 03, 06:38 AM
Rocky

Default CHOCOLATE and/or SODIUM...... bad for dogs?

Leesa Taylor said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Does anyone know if CHOCOLATE is especially bad for dogs?
I have heard that even small amounts of chocolate can be
very bad for dogs.... any truth to this claim?

Yes.

Toxicity depends on the grade of the chocolate, especially its
theobromine content) and the sensitivity of the dog. Here are
some good links:
http://vin.com/mainpub/xmas/chocolate_tox.asp
http://hersheys.com/nutrition_consum...obromine.shtml
http://mirabos.bham.ac.uk/ukclub/toxicchoc.htm
http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/...oisoning.shtml

Old July 5th 03, 03:24 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:50:41 GMT, "ZPL" wrote:

Everything in moderation. It also depends on what the dog is used to. I
would think the grease from the potato chip would be more of a concern than
the sodium.

If it is a large dog or a dog that is used to getting some chocolate, a
Hershey's Kiss or a couple of M&M's is not a big deal. It's the dogs that
are not used to getting chocolate and then get ahold of a whole bag or a
whole Easter Bunny (posted by another here) that it gets to the dog. Almost
like if you had never had chocolate and then eaten a whole bag, or if you
had never had coffee and decided to gulp a quadruple espresso with 10 spoons
of sugar.

Actually, it has absolutely nothing to do with dogs getting used to
chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to
dogs. How poisonous depends on how much the dog eats, in relation to
its weight, and how much theobromine is in the chocolate - - baking
chocolate contains the most, then dark, then milk, etc. It is not a
good idea to feed one's dog chocolate.

Sally Hennessey

Old July 7th 03, 01:20 PM
Atalante

An English bull terrier I know once ate an entire 4lb box of Cadbury's Roses
without any ill effects

Old July 7th 03, 11:27 PM
Gus Gassmann

Atalante wrote:

An English bull terrier I know once ate an entire 4lb box of Cadbury's Roses
without any ill effects

So what does that say about Cadbury's roses?

Old July 8th 03, 01:20 AM
BOCAJ

it all depends on how "real" or "true" the chocolate is.
a friend of mine said, his dog got a hold of a kitkat bar and ate it all
and was fine.
the chocolate bars that we buy at the local grocery store is so processed
apparently, that's it's not a huge catastrophe, but if they eat a large
amount it could be.

this isn't scientific knowledge, so don't take it verbadum,
just common sense.

gotta watch 'em =)

Leesa Taylor wrote:

Does anyone know if CHOCOLATE is especially bad for dogs? I have
heard that even small amounts of chocolate can be very bad for
dogs.... any truth to this claim?

Also... I was wondering about giving dogs things like potato chips,
pretzles and high-sodium foods.

My neighbor will give the dog virtually anything. I've seen her eat
candy kisses, chips, hot dogs..... anything they eat, she gets a bite
of. The dog SEEMS to be in good health..... although I was just
wondering if anyone heard anything about wheteher too much salt or
some chocolate is bad for them.

thanks you

LEESA (I)

Old July 8th 03, 07:04 AM
Jo Wolf

And now for the issue of sodium. Too much is not good for any mammal.
If the dog has kidney disease or congestive heart failure, extra salt
could kill. A potato chip now and then is no big deal... but is it
necessary?

Your friend is a bit of a slave to her dog.... Who's in charge? Not
your friend. grin

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 8th 03, 02:03 PM
sighthounds etc.

wrote:\n"

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:20:25 -0400, BOCAJ
wrote:

it all depends on how "real" or "true" the chocolate is.
a friend of mine said, his dog got a hold of a kitkat bar and ate it all
and was fine.
the chocolate bars that we buy at the local grocery store is so processed
apparently, that's it's not a huge catastrophe, but if they eat a large
amount it could be.

It actually all depends on the theobromine content in the chocolate.
Best simply to not feed dogs chocolate. It's not as though there
aren't other treats they enjoy.

Sally Hennessey