Alternative Dog Shampoo

Old July 12th 03, 05:16 AM
hi fi

Default Alternative Dog Shampoo

Hello

Can anyone one tell me if there is an alternative shampoo,that i can use on
my dog.
he is a collie mix and im finding that commercial shampoo is getting too
expensive and im having too by a new bottle each week

TIA....

---

Old July 12th 03, 05:39 PM
Gerry

You are obviously washing your dog too often, if you need a new bottle every
week, and removing oils from it's coat and body. Wash as seldom as possible.
For quick clean-ups use a little rubbing alcohol and a sponge.
Any mild shampoo that contains Lanolin e.g. would be fine.

Gerry

--
The reply address is 'OK'

Old July 12th 03, 05:44 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:16:02 +0100, "hi fi"
wrote:

Hello

Can anyone one tell me if there is an alternative shampoo,that i can use on
my dog.
he is a collie mix and im finding that commercial shampoo is getting too
expensive and im having too by a new bottle each week

Why do you have to buy a new bottle each week? How often are you
bathing your dog?

Sally Hennessey

Old July 12th 03, 08:05 PM
crosem

a dog should not get so many baths. brush him every day to remove dust and
dirt. once a month is more than enough. I use a cheap shampoo called
Suave, I use the "moisturizing" variety to avoid drying out his skin and
coat.

Old July 13th 03, 12:19 AM
Mark/Shell

Are my dogs dirty????? My dos get bathed once or twice a year unless they
roll in something nasty! When we go out we will often take them to the beach
or a small river / stream where they happily swim and play in. Do people
think it's necessary to bath there dogs more often?? My dogs don't smell at
all and their coats are lovely.

Shell

. ..

Old July 13th 03, 09:08 AM
seagull

Here in Australia there's a very mild household soap called Velvet, which
the vet says is quite suitable for dogs. It's cheap.

But I do agree with the others that dogs should not be bathed too often.

Old July 13th 03, 03:49 PM
jokerpit

Bathing is fine for dogs ...its not the bathing that drys them out always
but lack of proper nutrition....Dawn dishwashing detergent is the best dog
shampoo out there for dogs affordable and easily rinsed as that is the most
important thing....There are times my dogs are in the lake, ocean, river on
a daily basis and i wash them after there swimming adventures and never get
dried skin syndrome...maybe the choice of food would help alot of
you...there are allergies of the skin that do horrible things and ive seen
it happen with the so called dog shampoos but not dawn soap.....joker

Old July 13th 03, 05:43 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:49:27 -0600, "jokerpit"
wrote:

Bathing is fine for dogs ...its not the bathing that drys them out always
but lack of proper nutrition....Dawn dishwashing detergent is the best dog
shampoo out there for dogs affordable and easily rinsed as that is the most
important thing....There are times my dogs are in the lake, ocean, river on
a daily basis and i wash them after there swimming adventures and never get
dried skin syndrome...maybe the choice of food would help alot of
you...there are allergies of the skin that do horrible things and ive seen
it happen with the so called dog shampoos but not dawn soap.....joker

Bathing a dog with dry skin too frequently can indeed cause dryer
skin. It could be that the reason your dogs don't get dry skin is
because they are breeds or breed combinations with more oil in their
coats to begin with.

Sally Hennessey

Old July 16th 03, 04:01 AM
Rene

"hi fi" wrote in message
Hello

Can anyone one tell me if there is an alternative shampoo,that i can use

on
my dog.
he is a collie mix and im finding that commercial shampoo is getting too
expensive and im having too by a new bottle each week

TIA....

---

I only bath Roxy before a show or after she has rolled in something gross
(she is her happiest when something is particularly disgusting, flat on her
back with her legs straight up in the air and wiggling as she grinds her
back into it good). I use 1 bottle beer + 1 raw egg (beaten and added to
the beer). Her coat is silky after this. She has an extremely short coat,
so you may need more than 1 bottle. She does not smell like beer when
finished. It takes two washings to get rid of the really disgusting smells.

René

Old July 17th 03, 04:36 AM
Rene

"ZPL" wrote in message
news
Tell me more about the beer and egg. Is this for regular pre-show wash?

Or
is it only saved for "special" odors?

"Rene" wrote in message

"hi fi" wrote in message
[...]

I use this for all washes. I haven't washed her very many times, but the
last 4 or 5 washes I have used the beer and egg mixture and love it! And
Roxy likes to lick it off too!

René