Bad Breath

Old July 17th 03, 07:27 PM
Suja

Default Bad Breath

What would cause a healthy young dog to have stinky breath? Said dog is
a friend's Coonhound mix, about 3 years old, and his teeth look to me to
be in excellent shape. They get brushed 2-3x a week. I don't know how
much of this is relevant, but am tossing out this info in case any of it
is. His only health concerns have been that he's dysplastic, and has
had a really nasty ear infection that has now cleared up (had to be
sedated to get it cleaned out). He is fed the Chicken, Rice and Lamb
formula found he
http://www.canine-caterers.com/products/pro-dryd.html. They recently
moved, and he has taken to pooping in the evenings only, but he goes 3-4
times. Mom says that the first one is really hard, and the last one
soft, but nothing's runny and he isn't constipated.

I didn't think to ask if he gets things to chew on, but will do so this
evening. His yearly physical was a month or so ago, and the vet gave
him a clean bill of health. Any ideas on what could be happening?

Suja
Old July 18th 03, 01:49 AM
Rosa Palmén

"Suja" wrote in message

[...]

Could be a good idea to get his teeth thoroughly checked by a vet, if they
haven't done that yet. We had a dog that got a really bad breath, and her
teeth looked fine and pretty tartar free. The vet had her sedated and
checked her teeth, and one of her big teeth in the back of her mouth was
broken. A piece on the inner side of the tooth had splintered off, but was
still in place at the gum, leaving a perfect place for pieces of food to get
trapped. The piece was extracted and the problem solved.
I know this is probably not that common, but it can happen.

Rosa

Old July 20th 03, 05:10 AM
Supergoof

Deb wrote ...

While Shilo has a coupla teeth that need attention, I googled this not too

long
ago. Read that digestive problems can also cause the bad breath and since

she
is liver-impaired I started giving her acidophilus in yogurt form. Seems

have helped a bit.

Murphy gets this too. She has inflammatory bowel disease so has lots of
tummy flareups for very little reason.

What was odd though, was that we had her teeth scaled by the vet last week
and she didn't have bad breath at all for 3-4 days afterwards - but it's
back now.

I can only think it was a 24 hours' starvation that stopped the bad breath
temporarily.

Will have to try and acidophilus yoghurt - we did it briefly when her tummy
just didn't seem to want to settle down, but stopped it again once things
were better. Will have to do it in the longer term.

What's also interesting is when we had the initial consultation with the vet
we were asking about her front paws, which she was chewing at quite badly.
The vet thought she'd irritated them by jumping around in some garden stuff
we'd been clearing out (it had blackberries in it so she might have stepped
on a couple of prickles). The vet gave her an anti-inflammatory shot to
settle them down and hopefully break the chewing habit.

Well Murphy's been on arthritis pills for a few months now and while she
improved heaps, she still had a slight limp in one hind leg. But since the
anti-inflammatory shot she has lost the limp entirely! It will be
interesting to see how long it lasts for. If it's this effective we might be
able to do it on a regular basis to keep her moving normally.

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 23rd 03, 03:58 AM
Supergoof

"Deb" wrote ...

But since the
anti-inflammatory shot she has lost the limp entirely! It will be
interesting to see how long it lasts for. If it's this effective we might

be
able to do it on a regular basis to keep her moving normally.

I am glad that she responded so well BUT I am assuming this was a steroid

shot?
Or just an NSAID? I would be careful, Rachel, with giving these to her to

close
together and not monitoring her liver function at the same time. Shilo had
hepatitis, so with the recent surgery and one shot of pred I have watched

her
like a hawk. She has been on a liquid product called Syn-Flex for about a

year
now and it has really helped her tremendously with her movement. JMHO.

Thanks, I'll have to check with the vet next time we're there to see what it
was.

So far she's still limp-free. It's good to know there might be something
else we can do when/if the daily NSAIDs stop doing the job effectively.

cheers
Rachel
(New Zealand)