Ear Infection

Old July 31st 03, 01:14 AM
dotmcs

Default Ear Infection

I'm with your wife. Steroids only mask the real problem and cause
unnecessary damage to vital organs over time.
If it's an ear infection, steroids are unnecessary, in my opinion. The
other medications will take care of it.

So now he is on Cephalexin 250 mg (1/2 tablet twice a
day for 10 days and Prednisone 5 mg (1/2 tablet once a day for 4 days then
1/2 tablet every other day for 4 treatments) and a ear cleaning solution

and
Otomax (antifungal, antibiotic, antiinflammatory).

Any comments? My wife thinks she will only use the antibiotic pills. She
says one of the above medicines is a steroid and she is leary of using it.
I say the Vet knows best.

Old July 31st 03, 06:30 AM
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

Probably to decrease the inflammation.

Once the infection has gone, you might want to start using the Blue Power
ear cleaning solution that you can make at home. Also, is he being groomed
regularly? I know Bichons need their ears plucked, am I right?

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC
. ..

Old July 31st 03, 07:36 AM
Evelyn Usher

What is the blue powder used on the Bichons ears for cleaning them? I
also pluck the hair from the ears.

--
Evelyn in Scotland

Old July 31st 03, 08:45 PM
JM

Otomax has been wonderful on my dog. It does make the ear really oily,
so swab away before putting any meds on.

Dave wrote:
Hello everyone out there. My 5 yr old male unnuetered Bichon has a ear
infection. He was first put on "Surolan" ear drops which are a antifungal,
antibacterial, anti-inflammatory solution for 10 days. A few days after the
10, he was shaking his head again in discomfort. We took him back to the Vet
today, The Vet said there was alot of ear wax build up which was probably
caused by the Surolan. So now he is on Cephalexin 250 mg (1/2 tablet twice a
day for 10 days and Prednisone 5 mg (1/2 tablet once a day for 4 days then
1/2 tablet every other day for 4 treatments) and a ear cleaning solution and
Otomax (antifungal, antibiotic, antiinflammatory).

Any comments? My wife thinks she will only use the antibiotic pills. She
says one of the above medicines is a steroid and she is leary of using it.
I say the Vet knows best.

Any comments?

Thanks, Dave