New type of Parvo?

Old July 31st 03, 09:12 PM
Scott

Default New type of Parvo?

I was told by my sister which is knowledgeable about all this, but I haven't
seen anything posted here or in other NGs.

There is a new type of Parvo that dogs can get and there is no vaccine for
it at this time. If your dog gets it he\she will only live for 5 days after
they contract it. has anyone heard of this? It has been killing dogs here in
the midwest - Indiana, Kentucky

Thanks for in information in advance,
Scott

Old August 1st 03, 06:02 AM
Jo Wolf

Oh, geezle... here it comes again. NO, there is NOT a new type of
Parvo. Every year during puppy season there are gazillion UNVACCINATED
puppies dumped into the animal welfare system, and kept in neighborhoods
by stupid owners. Of course the frequency of the disease goes up, with
this large pool of susceptible youngsters. Especially in shelters and
pounds, because even if they Do vaccinate the pups as they come in, it
takes about two Weeks for the vaccine to establish immunity, by which
time the poor exposed pup has already contacted the disease .... or
died.

All of the vet schools keep a close eye on this one..... and there would
be information coming from official sources to vets and the public if
there was a strain that wasn't handled by the current vaccine. It
would not be arriving by the rumor mill alone, like your misinformation
did.

I was discussing this just today (Thursday) with a friend who works at
the Baker Institute, where the parvo vaccine was developed. I ask her
every year, just as rumor season is going good... and she provided the
above information.

So you can relax... just make sure your puppies are vaccinated according
to the recommended protocol, and your adult dogs either get their
boosters or have a titer checked to assure adequate "coverage", without
over-vaccinating.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 1st 03, 03:36 PM
Scott

Thank you very much jokerpit!

I did find this site on the web - http://my.en.com/~isco/ii-1098.htm I'm not
saying I believe what I read, but it does make me wonder. I don't want my 2
baby girls (adults but my baby's) getting some type of Parvo they will die
from, because they stepped in a pile, cleaned their feet and then contracted
it... I just want to make sure because my girls haven't been out for a walk
in going on 2 weeks because of this scare.

You can see my baby's at www.scottjbaugh.com under Personal\Family\The
Baby's

Thank you all for the insight on this those that actually helped.
Scott

"jokerpit" wrote in message
real helpful carlo playing resident troll in this group now?

Maybe some recommendations on shots when to give or not might have been
relevant......But to insult his sister after he did ask for help ...Just
shows you are the one not very knowlegeable on...I would let him know that
using shots from same batch would be recommended, do not go over 2 weeks

in
between shots I do mine at same exact time every 2 weeks....I have seen
parvo and what it does to pups of my breed (pitbull) is trully horrible

not
a reason to joke or make fun of someone that asks a very important
question....Another point is parvo is mis diagnosed alot and symptoms are
much like corona so make sure 7/1 shots are given not just parvo
shots.....Will

"Carlo Coggi" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

I was told by my sister which is knowledgeable about all this, but I

haven't
seen anything posted here or in other NGs.

There is a new type of Parvo

Your sister is not knowledgeable.

Old August 1st 03, 07:35 PM
JM

Vaccination is not a 100% prevention. My pup got it at 9 months after
he received all his puppy shots on time. He spent 5 days under 24 emergency care
with IV tubes in both legs, but recovered. I was told not that many die if
treated in time, but he had a sensitive tummy for the rest of his life. -JM