Kidney Problems - Need Information

Old August 1st 03, 04:12 AM
Bichon.ca

Default Kidney Problems - Need Information

There is a thread about kidney issues that may be helpful at
http://Bichon.ca/ Community message forum.

http://bichon.ca/cgi-bin/bichon/bich...num=1055367904

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:06:14 -0500, Dreamspinner3
wrote:

My name is Kim and my senior Welsh terrier Kirby apparently has
something wrong with his kidneys. Over he course of the last few
months his water intake has increased and he's had to pee a lot more
often, having accidents in the house.

I adopted Kirby from a local rescue group back in 1997 and they told
us he was a stray they saved from the local dog pound. At the time
they thought Kirby was 3 to 5 years old, so he is probably anywhere
from 9 to 11 years old now. He looks to be in excellent shape and his
appetite has remained normal. He isn't as active as he was six years
ago but that isn't surprising, is it? He does still like to play with
my two Schnauzers, although not for as long as when he was younger.
Within the last year he's lost 4 pounds but we were trying to get his
weight down by feeding him Nutromax lite dog food; he went from 34
pounds a little over a year ago to 30 pounds at the vet yesterday.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to help me?

Thanks.
------
Kim (Dreamspinner3)
Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
ICQ: 48547727
Yahoo: dreamspinner3
AIM: coolkmm

Old August 1st 03, 02:08 PM
buglady

"Dreamspinner3" wrote in message
My name is Kim and my senior Welsh terrier Kirby apparently has
something wrong with his kidneys.

.............I hope you continue a discussion with Hillary in alt.med.vet, as
I really don't think your dog has a kidney problem. I would insist on a
test for Cushings myself, although some people on a list I'm on are
reporting negative Cushings test results, but the the dog still has
symptoms. Go have a discussion with your vet and ask why the BUN and
Creatinine are perfectly normal so why does she think it's kidneys. Was the
urinalysis a first catch?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old August 1st 03, 02:27 PM
Sue and Atty

Hi Kim,

I think it's a good starting point. I lost my first lab to kidney disease.
Make sure you check out the k9kidney group.

You don't have to join to read, but you do have to join to post or look in
the files. There is a ton of info in the files and almost 750 members to
get moral support and ideas from, although we don't all post!
As a matter of fact, there was just a posting ( message number 44899) from
the text files - My dog was just diagnosed, what do I do now?

Sue and Atty

[...]

His test results are as follows:

The sample is slightly hemolyzed. Slight hemolysis interferes with
certain serum Chemistry results. Bilirubin, Total Protein, Creatinine,
SDH, and LDH may be falsely increased. T4 and Alkaline phosphatase
results maybe falsely decreased.

Glucose 113 mg/dl (67-125)

AST (GOT) 32 U/L (10-45)
ALT (GPT) 42 U/L (15-84)
H Alk Ptase 294 U/L (9-140) (My vet said this value was very high but
not unusual for an older dog.)
Total Bilirubin 0.1 mg/dL (0.0-0.4)
Cholesterol 195 mg/dL (114-330)
Total Protein 6.5 g/dL (5.2-7.8)
Albumin 2.7 g/dL (2.7-4.4)
Urea N 9 mg/dL (9-27)
Creatinine 0.7 mg/dL (0.7-1.5)
L Phosphorous 2.4 mg/dL (2.6-6.8)
Calcium 10.0 mg/dL (9.2-12.1)
Sodium 149 mmol/L (140-153)
Potassium 4.4 mmol/L (3.6-5.2)
Chloride 115 mmol/L (106-118)
Bicarbonate 18 mmol/L (17-26)
Anion Gap 20 mmol/L (15-25)
GGT 3 U/L (0-13)

T4-VET 1.7 ug/dL (1.0-4.7)

Urinalysis Results

Color: Yellow
Glucose 0
Ketones 0
pH 9
Appearance Clear
Spec Grav 1.008 (My vet said this shows his urine is very dilute &
that the kidneys are not able to concentrate his urine.)
Protein 0
Bile 0
Urobilinogen 0
Blood 0
WBC 000
No crystals

I live in Minnesota & am currently taking my dogs to Camden Pet
Hospital. The vet told me to feed Kirby Hills Canine K/D and to come
back in a month to check his weight again and to more tests.

Old August 1st 03, 02:45 PM
Sue and Atty

"buglady" wrote in message
thlink.net...

"Dreamspinner3" wrote in message
My name is Kim and my senior Welsh terrier Kirby apparently has
something wrong with his kidneys.

............I hope you continue a discussion with Hillary in alt.med.vet,

as
I really don't think your dog has a kidney problem. I would insist on a
test for Cushings myself, although some people on a list I'm on are
reporting negative Cushings test results, but the the dog still has
symptoms. Go have a discussion with your vet and ask why the BUN and
Creatinine are perfectly normal so why does she think it's kidneys. Was

the
urinalysis a first catch?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

buglady,
Your post made me go back and look again - of course after I already hit
send on mine! Not only are they normal, but they are at the low end of
normal. You're right, that is odd. Where were my eyes when I looked the
first time? Can I blame it on no coffee?

Sue and Atty

Old August 1st 03, 05:55 PM
buglady

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message
buglady,
Your post made me go back and look again - of course after I already hit
send on mine! Not only are they normal, but they are at the low end of
normal. You're right, that is odd. Where were my eyes when I looked the
first time? Can I blame it on no coffee?

......Heh! Well, since this is the second time I read it, I had a fighting
chance! Replies from vets in alt.med.vet are interesting. Guess it still
could be a kidney problem according to some, but Dreamspinners vet's
thinking bothers me. To Dreamspinner - join the Cushings's list now and
post to see what people say about the initial lab work and resulting test
results when you get them. I don't have url handy but the Cushings thingey
in the pet library at Marvistavet has it. Good idea to join K9kidney too -
never know what will happen and at least you'll be armed with facts whatever
happens. And as for your vet, if she has not treated much Cushings before,
quite frankly I'd find another one who has. I think experience counts for a
_whole_ lot when dealing with endocrine problems.

Old August 1st 03, 05:55 PM
buglady

[...]

Does anyone have any information on Rawfeeding Lorri Dog breeds 0 November 20th 03 09:59 PM
Curing problems with rescue dogs Tara O. Dog breeds 23 August 17th 03 05:57 AM
Kidney stone Cila Dog health 3 July 27th 03 06:54 PM
Walking problems, Instability...will not urinate. Immediate help please. Deb Dog health 0 July 4th 03 07:57 AM