Running the shepherd

Old August 3rd 03, 02:23 PM
cplus

Default Running the shepherd

I posted this question in my other post but it either wasn't answered (which
is fine) or I missed the post.

Firstly though I'd like to express my appreciation to the group for their
helpful advice and GREAT! topics. I've learned a lot and hope to continue
learning.

Here's a recap of my dog (his name is wolfie). He's a 7yr old GSD with
minor hip problems (he does the bunny hop when he runs but walks, gets up
and takes stairs fine). He's on 3 tablets of glucosamine a day. I've found
the liquid stuff but will wait until the pills are finished to try it. He's
also on nutro's senior dog food with glucosamine and chondroitin. Right now
he gets 4 daily walks with at least 1 of them being a good run in the park
(playing with his Kong or a ball and running around with my other dog). I
also have about 12 stairs leading up to my apartment that he's got to take
at least 5 to 6 times a day. My question is, Is this a good routine to keep
his hip joints flexible and problem free (as much as it can be for now).
Should I cut out the runs or keep it to just one (he sometimes has 2) or is
running a good thing?

Thnx again guys for being so informative. I would be at a loss without you
all.
Cp

Old August 4th 03, 12:45 AM
cplus

"dotmcs" wrote in message
Well toned muscles are really important to showing few or no symptoms of

bad
hips. Keep Wolfie on the glucosamine, in my opinion, and as long as he
exhibits no signs of being sore or lame, I say go for it. Swimming is

also
a wonderful exercise that puts no stress on the joints, if running gets to
be an issue.

These are just my thoughts on things, but having an eleven year old GSD,
with severe hip dysplasia in one hip, I prefer to see them pain-free and
having fun. Here's wishing Wolfie many more pain-free years.

Thanks for the well wishes! I've talked to the lady who owned him before
me (we just got him a week ago) and she said he didn't seem to like water.
He played around it but would not go in. I haven't tried it myself but we
don't really have a dog friendly pool around here so it's going to be a bit
of a search to find something. I do live by the lake but it's been closed
due to high bacteria counts. My take on it... if it's not fit for me to
swim in, then it's not safe for my dog either.

Old August 4th 03, 03:05 PM
Suja

cplus wrote:

also on nutro's senior dog food with glucosamine and chondroitin. Right now
he gets 4 daily walks with at least 1 of them being a good run in the park
(playing with his Kong or a ball and running around with my other dog).

I have heard from a friend with a dysplastic GSD that retrieving games
may be too hard on the hips, because of all the stops and starts. You
might want to check with the vet to see if it is okay. Other than that,
I think that you're doing great, and if you can induce the dog to go
swimming, that would also help greatly.

Suja