Vitamin c or similar supplements

Old August 7th 03, 10:41 AM
Mark/Shell

Default Vitamin c or similar supplements

Hi,

I recently posted on this NG about my dog Dougie and his slight hip
dysplasia, I mistakenly at first posted it to RPDB by mistake but got a lot
of good advice.
What I would like to know is many people have recommended vitamin c
supplement, can anyone give me any further info on this. Do I get it from my
vet or is it the same as human take and if so what dosage compared to dog
weight?

Is there any other supplements etc I can give him as a preventative measure
to slow the process of what's inevitable as he gets older? At the moment at
16 moths old Doug's hip causes him no pain that I am aware of and I have
only seen him a touch stiff legged on a few occasions. He is a 16 month old
Border Collie.

Any info / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Michelle

Old August 7th 03, 05:41 PM
Rene

"Mark/Shell" wrote in message
[...]

If you want vitamin C info, Dr. Wendell Belfield is the one to go to.
Here's his book:
http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DN120
and his website:
http://www.belfield.com/article5.html
and an article he wrote some time ago:
http://www.filadog.com/hip_dysplasia.htm Go to the bottom of the page and
click on the articles shown there.

I give my Roxy a vitamin C powder (crystals) I purchased from
http://www.puritans.com (yes, people grade). They have excellent products
and great sales (buy 1 get 2 free right now) although they can be very slow
in delivering. Vitamin C is water soluble and so does not build up to toxic
levels in the tissues. In the raw feeding circles, many start with a low
dose of vitamin C and slowly increase the amount over many days until the
dog experiences diarrhea. At this point you just back off to a level that
did not produce diarrhea.

There are people that do not believe in supplementing with vitamin C, so do
some research to make sure this is what you want to do. Dr. Belfield starts
supplementing when the pups are 2 hours old! I believe C is very important
and so I supplement. I read somewhere that vitamin C supplements helped
dogs who already have HD to have less pain, but x-rays did not show any
difference. Go figure. If the dog is happier, I say go for it!

René